ADVERTISEMENT

Insane Stat

hawktitle

Rookie
Jan 29, 2019
Growing up in Iowa, I always knew wrestling was big and from my memories starting in the mid-80s Iowa had plenty of Olympians, including gold medalists. But I just saw a stat that blew my mind. Someone either from Iowa or who wrestled in the state in college has been at every Olympic Games since at least 1920. For over 100 years…. Someone like a Gilman counts. Iowa State has carried their water over this streak, it’s not just Iowa. If you go back far enough, it was a Cornell guy or people born in Iowa that represented. That’s bonkers.

The state has 3 million people. Roughly 1% of the USA population. The consistency and the tradition…. It’s not just about Gable, though he and his connections have been a big factor since 1972.

Someone else on that list is Carl. Yes he left, and we joke about how he could only win big with PSU’s money and access to recruits. But to me it’s really just another extension of Iowa’s influence on the sport. We made Carl. He was destined to be a great coach. He just chose a different state and school to build his tree.

PSU isn’t much to speak of without what Carl has done. The state of Iowa already had at least 40-50 years of Olympic success before anyone even heard of Gable.

The best tradition and job in wrestling is coaching at the University of Iowa. And I don’t really know much about the history there, but Oklahoma State has to be second. And third? Iowa State? Not sure who else makes the list for third. I would take Iowa State over PSU.

Penn St has more titles than iowa state (8) already.
Oklahoma state has 7 titles in the last 53 years.

And the kicker is there are more very good programs now than there were in the gable era. Teams like Cornell, Ohio st, Missouri, Michigan, VA Tech, Nebraska,
All those schools either average or Ocasionally just pretty good during the gable era

Last edited:
Reactions: bourbon n blues
Penn St has more titles than iowa state (8) already.
Oklahoma state has 7 titles in the last 53 years.

And the kicker is there are more very good programs now than there were in the gable era. Teams like Cornell, Ohio st, Missouri, Michigan, VA Tech, Nebraska,
All those schools either average or Ocasionally just pretty good during the gable era

You're really just naming a lot of teams though that you think are good, when really only PSU and Iowa are any real threats to win a title in this era. Maybe either of the OSUs will make another run. Nothing about Missouri, Va Tech, or Nebraska qualifies them as being better than similar tiered teams 20 years ago. The Big 8 had ISU, OSU and Oklahoma alone that were as good then as any of those teams, they just didn't beat Iowa.

Reactions: Hawky42 and el dub
You're really just naming a lot of teams though that you think are good, when really only PSU and Iowa are any real threats to win a title in this era. Maybe either of the OSUs will make another run. Nothing about Missouri, Va Tech, or Nebraska qualifies them as being better than similar tiered teams 20 years ago. The Big 8 had ISU, OSU and Oklahoma alone that were as good then as any of those teams, they just didn't beat Iowa.
don't get me wrong. I am a HUGE Iowa fan. But I also, escpecially with statistics, call it how I see it.
I actually regret trying to throw a jab at the Gable dynasty by saying other programs hadn't made it yet. and I stand corrected. the last 5 or 6 years of Gables tenure was actually similar to the last 5 years. two top programs and 6 or 7 other teams score somewhere from 50-70 team points at ncaa's.

don't get me wrong. I am a HUGE Iowa fan. But I also, escpecially with statistics, call it how I see it.
I actually regret trying to throw a jab at the Gable dynasty by saying other programs hadn't made it yet. and I stand corrected. the last 5 or 6 years of Gables tenure was actually similar to the last 5 years. two top programs and 6 or 7 other teams score somewhere from 50-70 team points at ncaa's.

It's always hard to determine if parity means there are more good teams or less good teams. This year probably won't be the norm though, if Iowa doesn't have suspensions or simply pulls a couple of redshirts, they finish second with room to spare and spread out those points a bit more in the pack. The NIL era could also reach the point where four teams are hitting 80 points and everyone else is under 40, if the smaller schools become nothing more than feeders.

Kids don't come to iowa out of tradition the way they used to. We aren't even in the top 5 recruiting classes in the country anymore

Danger 5 Laughing GIF

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT