ADVERTISEMENT

Inserting Tony instead of Joe into the lineup...

Joe T will be missed, his intensity at the defensive end was key to Iowa winning the BTT. I wish he would have finished his career at Iowa and been able to accept the complementary role he filled so very well... BUT I also know that Joe has higher aspirations and wants to see/know what could he be given more opportunity to be "the man" at PG

I will certainly be rooting for him at West Virginia this year.
I agree totally that Joe T's intensity is really going to be missed. I just rewatched the BTT championship game with Purdue and Joe's play off the bench was probably the key to the win. He was so disruptive on the defensive end that Purdue lost their composure. I don't see anyone on the present roster who is capable of doing that on the defensive end - certainly not Ullis who was at best last year mediocre on the defensive end. Hopefully someone can pick up the slack.

Reactions: unclesammy
I agree totally that Joe T's intensity is really going to be missed. I just rewatched the BTT championship game with Purdue and Joe's play off the bench was probably the key to the win. He was so disruptive on the defensive end that Purdue lost their composure. I don't see anyone on the present roster who is capable of doing that on the defensive end - certainly not Ullis who was at best last year mediocre on the defensive end. Hopefully someone can pick up the slack.
No doubt when Joe was on, he was on. But he was wildly inconsistent. And he often followed a mistake by overpressing, often fouling or driving into traffic and turning it over. I loved his effort and enthusiasm but he needed to let the game come to him. He never seemed to get that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawk_4shur
No doubt when Joe was on, he was on. But he was wildly inconsistent. And he often followed a mistake by overpressing, often fouling or driving into traffic and turning it over. I loved his effort and enthusiasm but he needed to let the game come to him. He never seemed to get that.
Excellent summary. The worst part was that this was true for all three of his years as a Hawk. I wish him well but I am looking forward to better PG play next season, even if there are growing pains.

Reactions: mtown66 and BBHawk
The team went back when they put the all-time assist leader back where he belonged and brought in a bigger, stronger and probably better player that provided a lot of the things Joe did alongside that point guard. It was a great move and the team took off.

Ahron and Tony will play most of the guard minutes, although, willing to leave open the possibility that Dasonte might be Big Ten ready by Big Ten play. Very highly ranked recruit.

Excellent summary. The worst part was that this was true for all three of his years as a Hawk. I wish him well but I am looking forward to better PG play next season, even if there are growing pains.
In fairness his A/T ratio improved each year, going from 1.45 to 1.67, and last year to a respectable 2.33. Agree that he still never figured out how to let the game come to him, though.

Reactions: BBHawk
He didn't say he replaced him as the point guard. He said he replaced him in the starting lineup which he did. Joe T went to the bench and Tony P started. The other 4 starters remained the same thus he is correct in saying he replaced him the starting lineup.
I could understand the op.

There's more than a few here that need you to hold their hand and walk them through a discussion though lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT