ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Breakdown of Iowa's Offense from Brandon Snyder on WUW Podcast this week

OldHawkFan

HB MVP
Feb 28, 2010
I want to start off by saying that I am not in the group calling for the trashing of Iowa's offense, or even the OC, and I'm not interested in dogging current players, we have what we have, and I think we have a good team....but I found this interview from a former player very interesting.

As a former starting Safety for Iowa's defense, he gives a lot of insight and I think he hits the nail on the head of: 1) why Iowa's offense can struggle at times , and 2) other years, they put a bunch of points on the board, basically running the same offense.

He said that Parker always had the defense ready to play and he could basically break down what an offense was going to run to 3-4 plays, just based on formation and alignment alone. He said that Iowa's offense is even simpler, and B1G coaches are good, so he's sure the defense on the other side knew what was coming as well.

None of this is groundbreaking, because we have heard from anonymous Defensive coaches in the B1G that Iowa's offense is super predictable and they know what's coming.

Snyder said that Iowa doesn't care as much about that, and that they are a timing based offense. So, even if you know what's coming, they think they can out execute you and beat you to the spot, if they get the ball off on time.
Snyder went on to say his biggest fear as a safety is a QB that is a threat to run. He said a secondary is more likely to "play fast" and jump routes to disrupt timing when they know the QB can't run. BUT they have to play slower and stay disciplined in their zone if there is a QB that is a threat to pull it down in run, when the play breaks down.
To me, this makes a lot of sense. Since Iowa's secondary has been second to none, the past decade, there seems to be a lot of validity to those comments.

So... Iowa's offense is dangerous when they have a QB that can make a play with his legs if you jump routes or get disruption up front, but not having this option allows defenses to play much more aggressive and sell out more because they know the QB can't hurt them.

When you have your own former players, who played against the offense every day in practice, are wondering why you don't recruit more mobile QBs, there might be a lack of self awareness to the real problem.

I'm hoping now that KOK has retired, they change their philosophy on the type of QBs they recruit. I remember that KOK was hesitant to play the likes of Brad Banks and Drew Tate...they weren't "his guys" and I think things worked out pretty well for us there. There's no doubt in my mind he would have stuck with Rudock over Beathard if he was here.

All this being said, we have to roll with what we got this year. I hope Petras has a great senior year, and he does just enough to win games with the great defense we have.

Looking forward to the season!
Go Hawks!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News