ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting comments from Stanley; On pace to break Long's Career 74 TD Record

I would just like to know how Coach Fry and Chuck were able to win 35 games together- maybe you can explain those 35 wins and 70 plus winning percentage to all of us dolts?

Aaahhh now your tracking.... it’s the wins that matter not the losses. It took you long enough.

All 4 are fine at their positions and doing similar jobs, interestingly enough.

Fair enough, just explain the losses to me when HF & Chuck scored 0, 6, 7 points etc...

It’s important because if these two genius kindred spirits struggled so much offensively at times...I don’t see much hope for us moving forward.

Right....?

Chuck bang your girlfriend or something? or are you related to Stanley? You are getting a little worked up. Chuck and JHF didn't walk on water. I am enjoying some selective stat selection, scoring 0, was that against an 9-0 Big Ten team? What were the average plays and points scored in that era? Only 6 points more now? Could be but I would be surprised. Stanley wins a BIG championship and runner up in the heisman and all is good. Go review Banks in 2002, the dual threat Dream, less than impressive stays in multiple games, it happens, keep cherry picking.

Well interestingly enough per that article all you really have to do to have the “it factor“ is get somebody to say that you have it...

And per O’Keefe winning 70% of your games in any one stretch makes you a really good coach and KF & staff are right at 70% over the last 4 years with a bowl win so we are good there...

And Im saying Stanley has the “it” factor so hell...we are sitting in butter.

Chuck bang your girlfriend or something? or are you related to Stanley? You are getting a little worked up. Chuck and JHF didn't walk on water. I am enjoying some selective stat selection, scoring 0, was that against an 9-0 Big Ten team? What were the average plays and points scored in that era? Only 6 points more now? Could be but I would be surprised. Stanley wins a BIG championship and runner up in the heisman and all is good. Go review Banks in 2002, the dual threat Dream, less than impressive stays in multiple games, it happens, keep cherry picking.

I’m enjoying myself, I haven’t smiled so much in several days....:D I do enjoy the drama.

The other part is played by you chaps.

I'm embarrassed I missed this, I live for these opportunities....Yes of course it happens, that's the point yet you and those like you fill the message board with whiny bitchy tripe over and over...

Hell I like Chuck Long.....I just wish he played now so I could listen to you guys bitch about him.....:cool:

And that is my point in a nutshell....thank you.

I'm embarrassed I missed this, I live for these opportunities....Yes of course it happens, that's the point yet you and those like you fill the message board with whiny bitchy tripe over and over...

Hell I like Chuck Long.....I just wish he played now so I could listen to you guys bitch about him.....:cool:

And that is my point in a nutshell....thank you.

Please don't include me with the 'whiny bitchy tripe' I have neither boosted Chuck up on a pedestal or buried Nate in the sand. You are engaging in a very fine troll effort using cherry picked stats that when pressed you would admit aren't painting a clear picture of either quarterback. I am sure you enjoyed the ESPN 'how would Babe Ruth be in today's baseball' (not very good, he is dead). You are using some of the same approaches that you are questioning. A very solid approach to generate discussion but below your typical well thought out, fact based discussions in other topics. And JHF would have had to adjust in a huge way to deal with social media and the scrutiny it brings. Would he? I think so.

Please don't include me with the 'whiny bitchy tripe' I have neither boosted Chuck up on a pedestal or buried Nate in the sand. You are engaging in a very fine troll effort using cherry picked stats that when pressed you would admit aren't painting a clear picture of either quarterback. I am sure you enjoyed the ESPN 'how would Babe Ruth be in today's baseball' (not very good, he is dead). You are using some of the same approaches that you are questioning. A very solid approach to generate discussion but below your typical well thought out, fact based discussions in other topics. And JHF would have had to adjust in a huge way to deal with social media and the scrutiny it brings. Would he? I think so.

My Lord almighty...I'm not trying to cherry pick, I'm pointing out similar scenarios to which we frame our current situations...nothing more nothing less...

And yes I do apologize I didn't think you were there and I'm sorry for the mistake, I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of people's thoughts...

Of course it happens, of course there are reasons why we scored 0 vs Illinois but ask yourself this...How would it fly here, today....?

You are of course right though in your unsaid premise...its silly, wasteful and not typically worth my efforts....:)

In fact now that I think of it.....it is stupid of me, who cares,..

Moving on....

Right....No more QBs that garner NFL draft consideration...Ruddock, Beathard and now this bucket Stanley....good riddance!!

I’m tired of hearing that the NFL might have interest in our quarterbacks....
Our coaches do a terrible job of utilizing all of our NFL talent.

Hard to throw INTs when you throw to your checkdown all the time,
or overthrow your receiver, and everyone else in the vicinity, by 10 yds.
Tim Dodge, you must be 13 years old because if you know anything at all about Chuck Long's time at Iowa is that he was revered for his ability to not force the ball down field and constantly checked down to his 3rd and 4th options. If you're going to be an ass, at least know your history. I think you might be better served to go and follow that hot new coach with an exciting offense over an Moo U. You'd surely be much happier with that exciting offense, plus we'd get the added bonus of not having to read your drivel! Have a nice day and Merry Christmas!

Reactions: cecilB
A large part of the frustration with Stanley is that he does show great potential yet consistently fails to deliver when it counts. Here are his fourth quarter stats this season:
37-79-452 yards with 1TD (yes, ONE 4th Q TD this season) and 2 INTs. That works out to a 47% completion ratio, 5.72 YPA and a QBR of 94 by the old standards Long would have been measured by.

I will let the forum critique those numbers.

Reactions: paladinhawk
It includes the 1984 bowl game. That explains the discrepancy in stats.

Weird they include the Freedom Bowl stats but not the stats from his other three bowl game starts. Chuck probably wishes they would forget that Gator Bowl loss after the 1983 season. He threw 4 picks that day.

I would just like to know how Coach Fry and Chuck were able to win 35 games together- maybe you can explain those 35 wins and 70 plus winning percentage to all of us dolts?
so you are saying Long lost 3 games for every 7 he won? that's horrible! Nick Saban loses 3 games in 3 years, if that!

And don't forget, Long choked at Ohio State, blowing our chances at a magical season.

And then Long choked in the Rose Bowl to cap off his fraudulent season.

Heck, Hayden choked in 3 Rose Bowls.

Overall, Hayden lost 2 games for every 3 he won. Totally unacceptable.

Too bad message boards were not around in the 80's and 90's.

so you are saying Long lost 3 games for every 7 he won? that's horrible! Nick Saban loses 3 games in 3 years, if that!

And don't forget, Long choked at Ohio State, blowing our chances at a magical season.

And then Long choked in the Rose Bowl to cap off his fraudulent season.

Heck, Hayden choked in 3 Rose Bowls.

Overall, Hayden lost 2 games for every 3 he won. Totally unacceptable.

Too bad message boards were not around in the 80's and 90's.
I think cmhawks99 has this shtick covered, so try to be original. :D We had water cooler discussion back in the day and the conversation was no different than the message board discussion. After all, it is what fans do. By the way, there were even the odd apologist interjecting in the water cooler sessions on Monday. Believe it or not we had phones so we could call and thump our chests or complain with our friends. We all know who you were at the old water cooler.

Last edited:
Then ultimately, if this motivates him, it's a good thing?
Glad I could help out.
What have you guys done for Nate lately?
I told him on this very board to step up in the pocket. Very next possession he stepped up in the pocket and ran for a first down.

Can't fault him for being a good listener.....

Stan's inability to show moxie in big games with the season on the line is what has me concerned. Next year will be 7-8 wins again. Unfortunately, we are timed up bad with our young talent elsewhere. New cycle of Iowa football in 2020, maybe that QB will resemble a Brad Banks. Wishful thinking.

Reactions: Tim Dodge Rules
Games Played
57 Chuck Long
44 Nate Stanley (assuming 13 games again next year)

That isn't right. Long played in 47 games.

EDIT:

Normally one can rely on sports-reference.com; however, they list "games," not "games played."

Looks like Long only played in 1 game in 1981, not 11, so Long threw all those picks in just 47 games!

Long was worse than I thought!!!! No wonder he lost out in the Heisman voting.

Damn it. Imagine if Long had not thrown so many INT's and had not choked at Ohio State. What could have been.

Oh, well.

But now we know for certain that he sucked when it mattered.

If only Long had been clutch when it mattered.

Well interestingly enough per that article all you really have to do to have the “it factor“ is get somebody to say that you have it...

And per O’Keefe winning 70% of your games in any one stretch makes you a really good coach and KF & staff are right at 70% over the last 4 years with a bowl win so we are good there...

And Im saying Stanley has the “it” factor so hell...we are sitting in butter.

Bro, you just so happen to include 2015 in that mix when Stanley has been QB for 2 years at 64% winning percentage.

For the record, Iowa only won 12 straight because Beathard put that team on his damn back. Something I have yet to see Stanley do, which is why people think he doesn't have IT.
The difference between a good team and a great team is a true leader. You can line up the same team with 2 different QBs and produce exact opposite results....

Reactions: Tim Dodge Rules
Tim Dodge, you must be 13 years old because if you know anything at all about Chuck Long's time at Iowa is that he was revered for his ability to not force the ball down field and constantly checked down to his 3rd and 4th options. If you're going to be an ass, at least know your history. I think you might be better served to go and follow that hot new coach with an exciting offense over an Moo U. You'd surely be much happier with that exciting offense, plus we'd get the added bonus of not having to read your drivel! Have a nice day and Merry Christmas!

So his near 50 INTs came from throwing to check downs.
OK.

Reactions: David1979
A large part of the frustration with Stanley is that he does show great potential yet consistently fails to deliver when it counts. Here are his fourth quarter stats this season:
37-79-452 yards with 1TD (yes, ONE 4th Q TD this season) and 2 INTs. That works out to a 47% completion ratio, 5.72 YPA and a QBR of 94 by the old standards Long would have been measured by.

Good post, did you have to get those numbers by hand? If not, what do 4th quarter numbers for other Iowa QBs look like (Beathard, Rudock....)?

thanks

Good post, did you have to get those numbers by hand? If not, what do 4th quarter numbers for other Iowa QBs look like (Beathard, Rudock....)?

thanks

Compiled them from another sports site's play-by-play tab. Probably took a half hour. If I am bored later I might look up CJB. I wanted to compare Chuck's 4th Q performance but not surprisingly I couldnt find play-by-play data from that far back. I do know Long led game winning drives against PSU and OSU in consecutive weeks in 83. If memory serves, he had four 4th Q TD passes in 84 but he didn't play in several 4th quarters that year. He also got hurt against Wisconsin that year and struggled mightily until the Freedom Bowl.

Reactions: K OKeefe
Nope Not really all that hard....I counted it up a while back & Hayden played dramatically more sub 500 teams than Kirk Ferentz has and I mean a crap ton. It almost feels like the proletariat brings up tough to compare stuff when the argument starts slipping away.

With or without an unbalanced schedule the Big 10 & college football is infinitely more difficult now than it was when Hayden coached.

Hayden played an astounding 12 seasons where at least 6 teams had sub .500 records

KF has I believe 5....that’s fairly remarkable. I’m not sure how anyone could argue Hayden’s teams played tougher schedules. In fact I’ll say it stronger....you can’t.

As for Chuck & Nate I have no real opinion right now but I’ll guess we will find out in a few years. But while we are building Chuck Long statues tell about a couple of these games he QB’d....

1985 was a stellar year but as I was reading about our loss to Ohio st who gave up 31 in a 31-28 loss to 6-5-1 Illinois and 12 to 6 loss Wiscy...we scored 13 by the way. I kept reading references to our offense struggling in prior games, especially to good defenses...

Do you have any thoughts on that...?

Here are a couple more...

17-20 vs 6-5 PSU
10-10 vs 7-4-1 Wisconsin
16-17 vs 6-6 MSU
17-23 vs 4-7 Minne
17-6 vs 7-4 Hawaii...

There are a lot more but this was when he was a junior so it seems like a nice time to compare them to Mr. Stanley. How do you think he compares Mr. O’Keefe?
The reason we played poorly was that Chuck couldn't audible due to the rain

Compiled them from another sports site's play-by-play tab. Probably took a half hour. If I am bored later I might look up CJB. I wanted to compare Chuck's 4th Q performance but not surprisingly I couldnt find play-by-play data from that far back. I do know Long led game winning drives against PSU and OSU in consecutive weeks in 83. If memory serves, he had four 4th Q TD passes in 84 but he didn't play in several 4th quarters that year. He also got hurt against Wisconsin that year and struggled mightily until the Freedom Bowl.

You didn't need to do that. Just go to ESPN Stats and look at the splits and it will give you the 4th quarter breakdown.

But if you look there are really only 6 games where Stanley had any meaningful 4th quarter snaps. In the other 6 games Iowa won comfortably and he had a combined 9 passes.

The other 6.

ISU- 5-6 72 yards
Wisconsin- 3-8 38 yds and 1 INT. 10 of the yards were on the last second play that didn't matter.
PSU 11-25 131 yds and the infamous INT at the goal line.
Purdue 4-6 41yds. the last drive's failures weren't on Stanley. They were on the refs for horrible holding calls.
Northwestern. 8-11 55 yds two fumbles killed the last two drives, not Stanley.
Nebraska 1-6 10yds.

For last year's 4th quarter stats Stanley was 44-79 588 yds 6 TDs and 2 Ints.

Chuck Long's overall record at Iowa 35-13-1, Nate Stanley's record after two seasons at Iowa is 16-9. Chuck is enshrined in the Iowa football Mount Rushmore while Nate (yawn). Individual stats in a team game. The only stat that really matters is wins versus losses. Like I said before, I would take Chuck Long any day over Nate Stanley and it is not even close. I have had the pleasure of watching both play. Forgot to add that Chuck was the QB for the last Iowa team to win the conference championship outright.
Chuck Long was really really good, however; you know who had more to do with Iowa's success.....Ronnie Harmon. I think physically Nate Stanley is much better than Long and Chuck would admit that himself. Long was pretty fortunate to have some difference makers at the skill positions- especially RB. Harmon (not sure could be argued) is/was the most talented player to ever come out of Iowa at the skill position. QB looks pretty good when you your check down goes for 40 yards

Chuck Long was really really good, however; you know who had more to do with Iowa's success.....Ronnie Harmon. I think physically Nate Stanley is much better than Long and Chuck would admit that himself. Long was pretty fortunate to have some difference makers at the skill positions- especially RB. Harmon (not sure could be argued) is/was the most talented player to ever come out of Iowa at the skill position. QB looks pretty good when you your check down goes for 40 yards

I can't argue with that. Harmon was amazing as long as he wasn't being paid not to be.

I can't argue with that. Harmon was amazing as long as he wasn't being paid not to be.
Just stating that if Stanley had a Ronnie Harmon type back or playmaker than we can talk. Yes we had damn good tight ends this year but Long had Marv Fing Cook and Flag as TE and Quinn Early as well- dude played 10 years in the NFL.

Hard to throw INTs when you throw to your checkdown all the time,
or overthrow your receiver, and everyone else in the vicinity, by 10 yds.

And there in lies the answer to "why do our QBs seem to regress" When they are younger and not in the system as long they take more chances down the field. As they progress they try to be more of what the coaches want. Have we noticed that KF is not a fan of turnovers and controlling the ball? Throw in those QBs have an eye on the NFL and pressure to get there, you have the perfect recipe for regression.

C
Chuck was affectionately known as "Chuck 'save your percentage' Long" back in the day...particularly before 1985. Preseason Heisman a combination of explosive players and steady players, plus thrilling wins, and a climb up the rankings muted that moniker, and cemented his legacy. Will it happen to Stanley? Not sure we match Ronnie Harmon, Robert Smith, Quinn Early, Helverson, Happel going into next year....TEs were equally solid and reliable back then. However, the defense will have more star power in 2019 as compared to 1985.

I would never say Stanley is Mr. Clutch, but I have a few thoughts about this post. First, Stanley has had some impressive 4th quarter performances. '17 vs ISU is a good example.

Also, 4th quarter stats can be misleading, especially with KF as the coach. If we're ahead...and it generally doesn't even have to be comfortably ahead, KF gets conservative. That's not a scenario that's conducive to generating impressive QB stats.

I think both sides of this debate have valid points. There have been times where NS has not produced under pressure. There have been times when he has. We had some good times with CL at QB, but he's had more time to produce than NS (so far). The book's still open on Nate so it's a bit premature to compare them at this point. I think Nate has some issues to work through, but a 10-11 win season and a B1G championship game next year would certainly change the picture considerably.

I also think there's a lot of revisionist history regarding Hayden. He had his clunker games and head-scratcher moments. There was growing "Fry Fatigue" towards the end of his career. I recall many debates on whether he should be asked to step down towards the end. I don't envy his situation that last season, secretly battling cancer while trying to coach a major D1 college football program. He'll go down as a legend at Iowa. Ferentz should too if we're being honest.

I have massive respect and admiration for all four (Fry, Ferentz, Long and Stanley). They have all achieved more that I will in my lifetime and done so with class, dignity, integrity and honesty. That's about all you can ask of any man IMO.

Reactions: paladinhawk
And there in lies the answer to "why do our QBs seem to regress" When they are younger and not in the system as long they take more chances down the field. As they progress they try to be more of what the coaches want. Have we noticed that KF is not a fan of turnovers and controlling the ball? Throw in those QBs have an eye on the NFL and pressure to get there, you have the perfect recipe for regression.

They don't regress.

Reactions: ichawk24
Chuck Long was the check down king FYI- nothing wrong with check downs. Brady, Manning and Drew Brees are all great at checkdowns

its crazy, isn't it, that we still wonder if Ronnie threw the Rose Bowl?

Who's wondering? Harmon fumbled once all season and then he fumbles four (4) times in the first half and then drops a perfectly thrown bomb in stride that would have been a sure touchdown!

Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT