ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting thought I just read in another thread…

cmhawks99

HR Legend
Jul 23, 2002
Alex Padilla graduates in December & as a result ( per their speculation ) he will leave and they don’t blame him…

Sooooo, let’s assume that’s true and he would leave. That leaves our dumb old coach with Joey Labas and two or three guys younger than him to quarterback our team next year!

Now for you guys that struggle stringing consecutive thoughts together… Here’s a guy, KF” that I think we all agree is somewhat risk adverse & we don’t think will play a “young quarterback“ although that’s been disproven about 60 times, but again for the sake of this conversation it’s true…

You’d think maybe he would be leaning towards Padilla if only for the sake of next year‘s continuity ….hmmmm

But as I look at it, it’s pretty damn telling to me that he clearly doesn’t think a great deal of Alex Padilla‘s quarterbacking ability no matter what he has said in the media…

Last edited:
Alex Padilla graduates in December & as a result ( per their speculation ) he will leave and they don’t blame him…

Sooooo, let’s assume that’s true and he would leave. That leaves our dumb old coach with Joey Labas and two or three guys younger than him to quarterback our team next year!

Now for you guys that struggle stringing consecutive thoughts together… Here’s a guy, KF” that I think we all agree is somewhat risk adverse & we don’t think will play a “young quarterback“ although that’s been disproven about 60 times, but again for the sake of this conversation it’s true…

You’d think maybe he would be leaning towards Padilla if only for the sake of next year‘s continuity ….hmmmm

But as I look at it, it’s pretty damn telling to me that he clearly doesn’t think a great deal of Alex Padilla‘s quarterbacking ability no matter what he has said in the media…
Spencer has COVID year if he chooses to use it. Not sure he will but ……

You are an interesting combination of eternal optimist and condescending prick. No wonder you're such a KF fan...

Padilla must be pretty smart. Maybe he started school in the spring, rather than summer, but he is graduating in 3 1/2 or 4 years.

If Kirk thought that little of Padilla then he should have been honest with him after last season and pushed him to enter the transfer portal instead of all that talk about an open QB competition. Maybe he did do that and Maybe AP, being so close to graduation, was smart enough to know that degree is of first importance and football is second and that a season of playing backup before the grad transfers isn't that bad. Ok, fine.

That still doesn't absolve Kirk. At that point he should have been hitting the portal hard to bring in another QB to compete for the job. How many transfer QBs came to Iowa? Exactly. Also, if AP is definitely not the guy why is he at 2 on the depth chart? It should be Labas at #2 and the Labas era should have started a few games ago.

Any way you slice it is a terrible look to leave your starter in for a blowout win like that. This is still college sports and there is something to be said for participation for young guys who bust their butts year round to get a little PT in a blowout. Imagine being Padilla or Labas parents staying up until the wee hours of the morning hoping to see their kid get a little PT. Surely coach will put him in next series...nope. You think that doesn't matter? That parents, friends, family don't see that stuff? Of course it does. Recruits see it too.

Honestly, that's my biggest beef right now. i know Kirk isn't going to change his mind. He's stubborn and Petras is going to be his guy. Fine, and when that ship sinks the Captain can go down with it. But what he did to Padilla and Labas Saturday leaving them on the bench was cruel.

Spencer will transfer to Purdue and break Curtis Painter's single-season passing record.
I know you're being funny, but SP couldn't pass for 4,000 yards in a season if he joined the Buffalo Bills, who subsequently became part of Associated Colleges of the Midwest expansion...

Reactions: hawkhockey

I don't trust KF's opinion on QB when he's choosing to stick with a guy that has a QBR of 7 on the season.

You are an interesting combination of eternal optimist and condescending prick. No wonder you're such a KF fan...

Meh…. I want to be an eternal optimist. I try to be but I’m really more of a pragmatist than anything!!

As far as condescending yes most assuredly and it’s on purpose… I don’t like that me, I really don’t and I’ve taken great strides over the years to not to be that person. But I will tell you I don’t have one, not one ****ing friend that acts like you guys in here, not one… I wouldn’t keep a friend like that. It’s the bane of society and so when you assess think I’m being condescending… yeah you’re right. I’m ****ing with you guys pretty hard and don’t even bother trying to tell me you don’t notice or you don’t care! I want you to feel as stupid and shitty as you are!!

As far as me and KF go you guys complain so much that’s literally all you can see it makes you guys dumb. I like KF fine, I liked Hayden before that and I’d like any coach that has won as much as KF and keeps improving over a 20 year period…

But I don’t want to meet KF, I don’t want his autograph, I don’t particularly care for his son because I think he’s an entitled egomaniac… But that’s pretty much where it starts and stops with me for all sports figures…

It’s a game & if “the game” becomes so irritating that I have to spend hours upon hours on a message board saying the same useless shit then it’s me that’s got the problem !!

As a rule, high-level people, intelligent people. They don’t like being around people like that. They can handle it for a while because let’s be honest we all can be negative pricks at times but those people that are constantly that way there a wreck on your mental and emotional equilibrium. You’ve got to stay far away from those folks at all cost!

they are pukes and not worth associating with… Quite frankly I should take my own advice and avoid all of you like the plague!!

I get it but here’s the deal… he’s not impressed with Alex Padilla that’s a given!!
Padilla had a QBR of 99.1 last season. KF also butted heads with Drew Tate during the BIG championship season when we were down to our 5th string RB. And Kirk's comments about Labas looking good but not sticking to the offense make me believe he just doesn't like QBs who don't run what KF wants us to run.

Padilla isn't an ideal QB but he can make the throws that need to be made and get the ball downfield. I'm sure Labas can do the same. Padilla was better last season than SP is this season that's for sure.

Last edited:
I truly hope Marco Lainez is as good as advertised and a very fast learner.
Sure, but really there is no way he comes in and starts in the first two years. So better hope Labas or Carson May are the answer. I was impressed with high school Carson’s tape. I’d like to see both Petras and Padilla leave next year and start fresh with a young QB. Right now would be even better.

If Kirk thought that little of Padilla then he should have been honest with him after last season and pushed him to enter the transfer portal instead of all that talk about an open QB competition. Maybe he did do that and Maybe AP, being so close to graduation, was smart enough to know that degree is of first importance and football is second and that a season of playing backup before the grad transfers isn't that bad. Ok, fine.

That still doesn't absolve Kirk. At that point he should have been hitting the portal hard to bring in another QB to compete for the job. How many transfer QBs came to Iowa? Exactly. Also, if AP is definitely not the guy why is he at 2 on the depth chart? It should be Labas at #2 and the Labas era should have started a few games ago.

Any way you slice it is a terrible look to leave your starter in for a blowout win like that. This is still college sports and there is something to be said for participation for young guys who bust their butts year round to get a little PT in a blowout. Imagine being Padilla or Labas parents staying up until the wee hours of the morning hoping to see their kid get a little PT. Surely coach will put him in next series...nope. You think that doesn't matter? That parents, friends, family don't see that stuff? Of course it does. Recruits see it too.

Honestly, that's my biggest beef right now. i know Kirk isn't going to change his mind. He's stubborn and Petras is going to be his guy. Fine, and when that ship sinks the Captain can go down with it. But what he did to Padilla and Labas Saturday leaving them on the bench was cruel.

Hmmm 27 to 0 in a seven hour game and you’re starting quarterback has played lousy… And that’s a blowout win, awesome!!

PS check how many quarterbacks Oklahoma or Minnesota & I’d wager many of the teams that had blowouts played?

it does look like they got another guy in each of those two teams that threw a pass or two… And I think they both won by 35 or 40 points in a pretty normal game atmosphere

Last edited:
If he doesn’t bring in a QB from the Transfer Portal next year, then he is clearly not trying.
You're correct. I don't think he has been/will be looking to bring in a QB off the portal either. I really don't believe he has any interest whatsoever in doing that.

I don't trust KF's opinion on QB when he's choosing to stick with a guy that has a QBR of 7 on the season.

PS… I’m gonna shock a few people here possibly on both sides of the fence… I’m not sure I do either. At least here. But in all honesty he generally puts a good total product on the field.

I’m gonna have to wait a few games to find out where we really are!

Padilla had a QBR of 99.1 last season. KF also butted heads with Drew Tate during the BIG championship season when we were down to our 5th string RB. And Kirk's comments about Labas looking good but not sticking to the offense make me believe he just doesn't like QBs who don't run what KF wants us to run.

Padilla isn't an ideal QB but he can make the throws that need to be made and get the ball downfield. I'm sure Labas can do the same. Padilla was better last season than SP is this season that's for sure.
Padilla’s QBR was no where near 99.1. If it was he would be the greatest CFB qb of all time.

Well, your crazy-like-a-fox idol may want to think about letting whichever of those future superstars he has anointed as SP's successor get some meaningful snaps instead of repeating 2012 where Vandenburg took every snap in a 4-8 season. That is where this season is headed.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Sure, but really there is no way he comes in and starts in the first two years. So better hope Labas or Carson May are the answer. I was impressed with high school Carson’s tape. I’d like to see both Petras and Padilla leave next year and start fresh with a young QB. Right now would be even better.
I don’t see why Lainez can’t come in next year and start, candidly. If you watch his high school highlights, the offense that his school runs is pro-style similar to Iowa’s (albeit yes, definitely simpler and definitely less to do pre-snap). That said, Marco had offers from multiple Ivy League schools (Princeton and Penn). If the coaches are capable of dumbing down the offense and giving him less responsibility pre-snap, then he may be worth playing if he brings something that no other QB can

A couple notes: 1) I am not saying that Lainez should be anointed starter, because I don’t know that he’s capable. Just saying that he should have a legitimate opportunity to win the job. 2) For those (not saying you Mohawk) who want to argue that 3* true freshmen don’t just come in and win jobs at this level, I would say to look no further than the 2011 Texas A&M QB competition which was ultimately won by true freshman, 5.7 Rivals rating (identical to Marco), 3*, Johnny Manziel who went on to win the Heisman that year.

This isn’t a list of one, by the way - Sam Bradford, OU, 5.7 3*. Won the Heisman the following season. Kellen Moore, Boise St., 5.5 3*. Winningest QB in NCAA history, are just a couple other recent ones, and I could post plenty of others who experienced success their true freshman seasons

Just because the Iowa coaching staff has engrained this idea that Iowa’s offense is Uber-complex and that a true freshman coming in and starting is a laughable notion, doesn’t make it true!

Well, your crazy-like-a-fox idol may want to think about letting whichever of those future superstars he has anointed as SP's successor get some meaningful snaps instead of repeating 2012 where Vandenburg took every snap in a 4-8 season. That is where this season is headed.

Ok 😳…..?! I could’ve swore I addressed that above?! Horses & water…

On to ignore for you troll
I know you didn't put me on ignore, so I'll respond:

From cmhawks99:
"Now for you guys that struggle stringing consecutive thoughts together…"

Sounds like a condescending prick comment to me, so I called him out. Sorry you don't like it.

Reactions: RothMatt
What I find incredibly fascinating is that anyone can watch that game Saturday and say Petras is the problem.

My god...let me clue you in...when your center and guards are chasing defensive tackles and DEs from behind as they are running free to your quarterback...that's not a quarterbacking issue. I counted no less than 7 times that happened on Saturday...it wasn't that the guys worked their way to the QB...they went untouched or barely touched.

Do we need to even talk about the running game. Take away KJ's long TDs and we averaged two yards a carry on 33 carries...against Nevada. Once again...just to be clear...this is not a quarterbacking issue.

What I find incredibly fascinating is that anyone can watch that game Saturday and say Petras is the problem.

My god...let me clue you in...when your center and guards are chasing defensive tackles and DEs from behind as they are running free to your quarterback...that's not a quarterbacking issue. I counted no less than 7 times that happened on Saturday...it wasn't that the guys worked their way to the QB...they went untouched or barely touched.

Do we need to even talk about the running game. Take away KJ's long TDs and we averaged two yards a carry on 33 carries...against Nevada. Once again...just to be clear...this is not a quarterbacking issue.
We can, and do, have more than one problem on offense.

I hope one day I can half ass my job and be as good at it as a Kirk Ferentz has been the last five years!

Hell we all should….
I am actually a KF fan overall. He is able to put out a good Defense and Special Teams year after year.

My post wasn’t about how KF does in the totality of his job.

However, if he doesn’t have anything better on the bench at the QB position and doesn’t work on improving that situation through the portal.

Then I stand by my comment that he isn’t trying to improve the Offense/QB situation.

Ok 😳…..?! I could’ve swore I addressed that above?! Horses & water…

You didn't say a thing in your OP about any of the young guys playing this year. He either knows SP is coming back for a 6th year or will anoint one of the young guys in spring ball. Padilla, to his credit, knows football isn't going to be his moneymaker and stayed long enough to get his degree. He will transfer to a lower-level school after the year and may or may not do good things there. And he would have given the Hawks a better chance this year against ISU than Petras.

Petras is the problem, pretty easy to see that watching this season. Having a bad QB impacts the ability to run the ball.
Just not sure how it is that difficult to see Petras is bad, worst QB in FBS. He is the starting QB and that is what it will be this season, hope for the best, but, is not going to be productive based on past performance

You like to hear yourself talk lol. Yes - bring in the Qb who hasn’t played all night in a 6 hr game. A game that everyone just wanted to be over. A PERFECT opportunity - one that AP would be excited to take- Phhhhhht!😆

We can, and do, have more than one problem on offense.
But it is 100% grounded in a poor performing Oline. Will they get better? I hope so for our QB, backs and receivers. But they are as a group performing the worst by far as a group on this team. Half of the plays at the least are a damn jail break right now. I’m not defending SP but no QB is going to excel behind that line unless they improve.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT