ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting to see the reliably conservative WSJ piling on Trump's economic ideas . . .

torbee

HB King
Gold Member
It's super amusing to read the comments on these articles, because the WSJ readership and Fox viewers have a CONSIDERABLE overlap, and this factual reporting pisses off the Trumpanzees.

Why Inflation Might Not Win the Election for Trump​

Price pressures are receding, Harris carries less baggage than Biden, and Trump’s policies are more likely to raise than lower prices​

By
Greg Ip

Aug. 15, 2024 5:30 am ET

Donald Trump really needs to find a new supermarket.

In a speech in North Carolina on Wednesday, the former president complained that bacon costs four or five times as much as it did a few years ago. “I don’t order bacon anymore. It’s gotten too expensive.”

Clearly, whoever is selling him bacon is ripping him off: Bacon prices are up 18% nationally since President Biden took office.

Trump isn’t just getting gouged on bacon. He has claimed grocery prices are up 70% when they’re up 21% nationally since January 2021. He said last week that gasoline was $5 a gallon and rising when the average national price was $3.46 and falling.

Whatever the origin of Trump’s numbers, it’s plainly in his interest to keep the conversation on prices: If this election is a referendum on Biden’s inflation record, Trump will win in a landslide.

And yet inflation might no longer be the election winner Trump has counted on.

For one thing, it’s getting better. In July, consumer prices were up 2.9% from a year earlier, the lowest inflation rate since early 2021, and down sharply from 9.1% in mid-2022.
Markets have largely concluded that inflation is simply no longer an issue. Inflation-linked bonds project inflation in the coming year to be 2.2%, down from 2.6% just a month ago, according to Barclays.

im-991503
Grocery prices are up about 21% nationally since January 2021. Photo: Tom Williams/Zuma Press

To be sure, inflation is still an issue with voters; polls show they think it’s getting worse. Trump pays no penalty for exaggerating prices because his claims resonate with how people feel. Moreover, one reason inflation looks less threatening is that unemployment recently rose, which, if it continues, is bad news for Vice President Kamala Harris, now the Democratic nominee.

But the retreat in inflation and softer jobs data have had one immediate, tangible benefit, both to consumers and Harris: lower interest rates. The Federal Reserve is almost certain to cut rates in September, and in anticipation, other borrowing rates have dropped. Mortgage rates have hit a 15-month low, so buying a house might be getting cheaper, though not by much.

In addition to the actual news on inflation improving, Harris is suffering less from public anger than Biden.

Public attitudes are driven less by prices rising more slowly (i.e., a lower inflation rate) than by their 19% cumulative change since Biden took office. Jared Bernstein, chairman of Biden’s Council of Economic Advisers, pointed out in a recent speech, “A central banker wants inflation to get back to target. A shopper wants his or her old price back.”

Harris has internalized this lesson. Her stump speech doesn’t mention falling inflation, but rather promises to reduce the cost of living and individual prices.

And a small, crucial slice of voters seems willing to give her a chance. Several surveys find voters trust her more on the economy than they trust Biden, though less than they trust Trump. In a poll of seven swing states, asked who they trusted more to bring the cost of living under control, 42% of respondents said Harris, while 48% said Trump—a small margin given economic pessimism, said Amy Walter, editor of the Cook Political Report, which sponsored the poll. “Harris is benefiting from the fact that she’s not getting the blame for a bad economy the way Biden was.”

If voters are willing to blame Biden for inflation in the past, they still want to know, what will Trump or Harris do about it in the future? Presidents can’t do much to influence economic growth or inflation, but are expected to try.

In her stump speech, Harris promises to “take on big corporations that engage in illegal price gouging, corporate landlords that unfairly raise rents on working families and…Big Pharma.” Friday, she will propose a federal ban on price-gouging in the food industry, her campaign said. It’s a natural message for a former prosecutor, but it won’t make a discernible difference. Companies certainly did profit from higher prices in recent years, but there’s little evidence it was illegal or fixable with federal action.

Trump has no concrete solution, either. In his view, inflation under Biden is due primarily to “a very stupid energy policy.” On Wednesday, he promised to slash energy costs, including electricity, by half in 12 to 18 months.

He didn’t explain how. Presidents have no direct control over electricity prices. Generation and transmission infrastructure take years to build. As for oil, he promises to “Drill, baby, drill.” But even if more onshore or offshore federal leases were offered for drilling, the increase in supply would be marginal and years away, said Jim Burkhard, head of oil research for S&P Global Commodity Insights. U.S. oil production is driven primarily by the global price, he said, which is why domestic output hit a record last year despite Biden favoring renewables over fossil fuels.

In the next two years, the primary drivers of global supply will be the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries and Russia, which are boosting production because of

While the candidates’ policies aren’t likely to lower inflation, some might raise it. Specifically, economists think Trump’s plans to raise tariffs and deport migrants will put upward pressure on import costs and wages and thus inflation. Deutsche Bank estimates his proposed 60% tariff on imports from China and 10% from everywhere else would raise consumer prices by 1.4% to 1.7%. On Wednesday, Trump suggested he would go even further, hitting all imports with a tariff of “10% to 20%.”

Trump has also promised to extend all of his 2017 tax cuts, and end taxes on tips and Social Security benefits. His running mate, JD Vance, has proposed a $5,000 tax credit per child, more than double the current maximum credit. Even when offset by tariff revenue, that’s a lot of potential fiscal stimulus.

In a recession, stimulus might help. Otherwise, it would add to inflation pressure. Ordinarily, the Fed would lean against the inflationary threat of tariffs and bigger deficits with higher interest rates. But whereas past presidents have left the Fed alone—a tradition Harris said she would honor—Trump also wants a say in Fed rate decisions.

Fed independence doesn’t matter enough to voters to determine the outcome of the election. But it might determine the outcome on inflation—and that ought to matter to voters a lot.

To be fair to the WSJ while they are a conservative publication they mostly stick to factual reporting.

If conservatives would dump Fox News and Newsmax and the like and just stick to the WSJ this country would be better off and they would be still be getting information from a source that favors their side.

-

To be fair to the WSJ while they are a conservative publication they mostly stick to factual reporting.

If conservatives would dump Fox News and Newsmax and the like and just stick to the WSJ this country would be better off and they would be still be getting information from a source that favors their side.
Fox is all over the place lately. They really have not recovered from the offloading of Roger Ailes and Bill O'Reilly. The new menagerie of "Thinkers" does not seem to be able to think.

While Hannity is relying on an occasional Britt Hume and Mark Levin cameo to provide some erudition, it is simply not enough. They do not seem to have anyone who understands economics, politics, and the interplay of the two. They are running too many stories about Governor Walz's word choices (He does tend to dissemble ... kind of like my choice for President!) ... and too few about tariffs and the current Ukrainian incursion into Russia. I honestly think it is a weakness that goes all the way to the top, to those sons of Rupert Murdoch.

Last edited:
Fox is all over the place lately. They really have not recovered from the offloading of Roger Ailes and Bill O'Reilly. The new menagerie of "Thinkers" does not seem to be able to think.

They simply do not seem to have anyone who understands economics, politics, and the interplay of the two. They are running too many stories about Governor Walz's word choices (He does tend to dissemble.) ... and too few about tariffs. I honestly think it is a weakness that goes all the way to the top, to those sons of Rupert Murdoch.

I would argue that they have felt they have to engage in conspiratorial thinking or ridiculous attacks to stay on Trump's good side in order to keep their audience.

-
When the leslft dumps MSNBC, CNN, ABC and the NYT. The country would be better off without them.

They simply do not seem to have anyone who understands economics, politics, and the interplay of the two. They are running too many stories about Governor Walz's word choices (He does tend to dissemble.) ... and too few about tariffs. I honestly think it is a weakness that goes all the way to the top, to those sons of Rupert Murdoch.
I think Fox’s main objective anymore is to tell their audience stories their audience wants to hear under the guise of a news organization. In the various defamation cases they have defended themselves by claiming they are an entertainment company.

-
Agree. It’s my go to - and they have been very much right down the middle criticizing both candidates.

I would argue that they have felt they have to engage in conspiratorial thinking or ridiculous attacks to stay on Trump's good side in order to keep their audience.
That is a good point.

In my view, that particular reality, while true, is upside down. He should be seeking to stay on their good side.

Last edited:
I think Fox’s main objective anymore is to tell their audience stories their audience wants to hear under the guise of a news organization. In the various defamation cases they have defended themselves by claiming they are an entertainment company.
That is not how you build a franchise that will survive the ebbs and flows of political winds over the long term. They can get away with being the "Trump" channel for a time, but the minute, he blows it (and so far he has not) you are out looking for a new narrative ... and when that one expires, another. The WSJ has their own narrative. Fox should emulate their business model and find a permanent niche.

They are becoming the Earl Scheib of the news business ... cheap and always there but requiring a huge intermittent promotional budget to get them through the soft periods.

I read the WSJ occasionally. I used to read it regularly before Rupert bought it. I view this piece as someone at the WSJ is still trying to be true to their institutional memory, and maybe a subtle bit of messaging to DJT's handlers.

It seems like WSJ editorials and political columns tend to focus on critiquing the Left without necessarily saying anything positive about Trump. It a strategy that allows them to be "conservative" without having to defend Trump's indefensible behavior.

Reactions: torbee
It seems like WSJ editorials and political columns tend to focus on critiquing the Left without necessarily saying anything positive about Trump. It a strategy that allows them to be "conservative" without having to defend Trump's indefensible behavior.
It's been interesting watching the Opinion page try - with only moderate success - to keep up the illusion that Trump is a normal political candidate with normal ideas that normal people could support.

It's quite the struggle, lol.

Here was one that had me rolling my eyes this week:

Donald Trump the Central Banker​

The former President is an easy money man, but he has a point about the Federal Reserve’s mistakes.​

By
The Editorial Board
Follow

Aug. 13, 2024 5:50 pm ET

im-16228366

Donald Trump has offended the great and good again by suggesting that a President should have some influence on monetary policy and interest rates. How dare he try to meddle in the independence of the Federal Reserve, cried Kamala Harris and the pundit chorus. There’s more to explore here than another morality tale of dastardly Donald.

“I feel the President should have at least [a] say in there,” the former President told reporters Thursday at his ask-me-anything-and-I-might-say-anything press conference. “I think that in my case, I made a lot of money, I was very successful, and I think I have a better instinct than, in many cases, people that would be on the Federal Reserve or the chairman.”

Being rich is no guarantee of policy insight, but this is in part familiar Trumpian bluster. When we interviewed him in 2015, he said he really didn’t need economic advisers because he had good instincts and experience. And having worked in private business, he does understand better than President Biden that economic growth doesn’t come from government.

But on monetary policy, Mr. Trump’s instincts typically run to easy money and low interest rates. He’s a real-estate guy, and that’s a high-leverage business. Tight money can kill property developers, as he has seen from personal experience.

That doesn’t mean Mr. Trump could dictate monetary policy. He appointed Jerome Powell as Fed Chairman but then badgered him, in private and public, after Mr. Powell and the Fed didn’t cut rates to Mr. Trump’s liking in 2019. Like running mate J.D. Vance, Mr. Trump seems to think a weak dollar is virtuous because it helps exports and makes imports more expensive. They don’t seem to recognize that this makes Americans poorer.

But Mr. Trump would need a change in law to alter the Fed’s mandate or political structure, and he has zero chance of that as long as he talks about giving himself more control. Mr. Powell’s term ends in 2026, and his successor would have to bend to Mr. Trump’s wishes the way Arthur Burns did to Richard Nixon in the 1970s. Anyone like that is unlikely to be confirmed by the Senate. Mr. Trump could fire a Fed Chair for cause, but that entails considerable political risk.

The shame is that Mr. Trump has a point that the Fed is far from infallible, and a debate over its mandate from Congress and monetary models would be healthy. Regarding Mr. Powell, Mr. Trump said Thursday that “he’s tending to be a little bit late on things. He gets a little bit too early and a little bit too late.” He added that central banking is really a “gut feeling.”

He’s right about the timing point, and the mistake isn’t always “a little.” The Alan Greenspan-Ben Bernanke Fed’s decision to stay too loose for too long was the foundation of the credit mania in the mid-2000s, and then the panic and crash of 2008.

But the timing critique ignores that one source of the Fed’s mistakes is the Fed staff’s models that are still rooted in the tradeoff between inflation and unemployment. Its leaders also still seem to believe even now that the 2021-2022 inflation breakout really was transitory and the result of supply-chain disruptions. The real cause was record federal spending and the Fed’s willingness to accommodate it with easy money.

The central bank also made an historic policy change in 2008 with the advent of quantitative easing. The Fed’s balance sheet has exploded, and its leaders are signaling it will stay large for years to come. This gives the Fed far more sway over the economy than is good for either the economy or the central bank.
Since the Bernanke era, the Fed has also moved much more into steering the allocation of credit through its bond-buying of agency securities, and more during the pandemic. Its regulatory reach has also grown far beyond its original remit.

All of this and more would be fruitful subjects for debate if Mr. Trump appointed the right Treasury secretary and Fed chairman. If all he wants is more easy money and a weak dollar, however, he’d end up with more inflation and a failed second term.

As for Ms. Harris, she has been Vice President during the Biden inflation. Someone should ask her, if she ever sits for more than a softball interview, what she thinks caused the burst of post-pandemic inflation. If her answer is supply-chain issues and she acknowledges no spending excesses, we’ll know she has thought about it less than Mr. Trump has.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT