ADVERTISEMENT

Interview with Chuck Hartlieb

Lamoni

Team MVP
Dec 2, 2011
A local podcast I subscribe to had Chuck Hartlieb on this week and I thought it was worth posting. He tells some great Hayden Fry stories and talks a lot about Snyder, Stoops, McCarney, and Alvarez. I know we talk about it a lot but what a staff! My favorite part was hearing him rag on the Pony cleats they had to wear back then haha. Where does the Hartlieb to Marv Cook connection go down in Hawk history?

https://www.moonlightgrahamshow.com...ckup-became-an-iowa-hawkeye-mount-rushmore-qb

Looks like he was in even by today's replay standards. Great moment in Hawkeye history for sure!

That interview is great and a must listen for anybody that witnessed the glory years under Hayden. Chuck made a point about the imprtance of guys making big plays and said he thinks that is what has been missing in current program for a few years.

Reactions: Lamoni
The pony cleats were sweet. Staple of Iowa football in the 80s
I thought they looked cool too, but he said the players absolutely hated them. He said Hayden had 2 deals. 10k from Nike or 15k from Pony and didnt think there was a difference. The Pony shoes were garbage from what he said.

Here is the 4th and 23 play with 6 seconds left that won the game at Ohio St. I like this clip because its Jom Zabels call and its exactly what I heard on tractor radio.

Side note the safety on this play is Bo Peleni.

God, I remember that play so well as Marv dragged defenders into the end zone! How great is it that it was on Pelini! Had no idea! Priceless!

Must listen for sure. I loved how he said that they knew some of Fry's stories were BS but at the same time whenever he spoke all eyes were on him.

A local podcast I subscribe to had Chuck Hartlieb on this week and I thought it was worth posting. He tells some great Hayden Fry stories and talks a lot about Snyder, Stoops, McCarney, and Alvarez. I know we talk about it a lot but what a staff! My favorite part was hearing him rag on the Pony cleats they had to wear back then haha. Where does the Hartlieb to Marv Cook connection go down in Hawk history?

https://www.moonlightgrahamshow.com...ckup-became-an-iowa-hawkeye-mount-rushmore-qb
Thanks for the link. Chuck Hartlieb gives a very interesting interview. Just a few comments he made that where pretty profound. "Fry was funny and fun to be around, Chuck almost felt like Fry wanted him to fail for Dan McGwire's sake.",
"Snyder intense second dad", "Alvarez was cool", "McCarney crazy intense", "Ferentz was mellow (great character)", "Stoops brothers define "hating to lose"", "Iowa's problem the last 10 years is finding a guy to make a play." Good stuff and a neat perspective that was the greatest football coaching staff ever at Iowa.

Last edited:
Hartlieb's take on all of those coaches was really neat. I like how he fired his takes off on them really quick.

Just listened to the Hartlieb podcast...very entertaining and enjoyable to listen to. Thanks for posting. For all of us average Joe's that weren't high level D1 athletes, this is great stuff to get some real behind the scenes insights and recollections.

Reactions: 2008Grad and Lamoni
Did anyone else think it was cool that Hartlieb remembered the exact play he called to beat Ohio State? I'm amazed athletes can do this years later.

Reactions: 2008Grad
Here is the 4th and 23 play with 6 seconds left that won the game at Ohio St. I like this clip because its Jom Zabels call and its exactly what I heard on tractor radio.

Side note the safety on this play is Bo Peleni.

The clip is fantastic, gave me goosebumps.

I found it odd that Chuck dropped back like a lefty, before pivoting at the back of his drop. Was this normal for him? The first QBs I can recall were Sherman / Rogers. Loved the dark visor Rogers had.

I never thought much of his drop back but then they cover it in that podcast interview. Hartlieb said Fry wanted him to drop back like that so he could see both sides of the field when backing up. Interesting.

I never thought much of his drop back but then they cover it in that podcast interview. Hartlieb said Fry wanted him to drop back like that so he could see both sides of the field when backing up. Interesting.
It was goofy as hell. He also added that it was another quirk, like the stand up tightends, that Fry used to make Iowa different and stand out to recruits.

I hope all of our younger fans listen to this to get some idea of just how different coach Fry was from KF. The people that complian about his predictabilty, conservatism and vanilla approach would be astounded by Hayden. Almost a polar opposite. Its interesting that both of them were successfull at Iowa.

Reactions: Redwalla and Lamoni
I know I worked in a bar that day and i had to bring a clock radio in to listen to it. Think it was Cox Cable in CR back then. Wasn't on. I heard the WMT call, The Big Shoe and Charlie Linebacker...equally thrilling.

Back then, most games were sold to TV by the home team if a network didn't buy the rights. Road games, most times we were lucky to see the game locally.

That's the way it was back then, not every game was on TV. I remember Iowa played at Miami (FL) on a Saturday night, we hooked up a radio to an aux input we had for the bar sound system. 100+ people in there, listening to a RADIO feed...

I know I worked in a bar that day and i had to bring a clock radio in to listen to it. Think it was Cox Cable in CR back then. Wasn't on. I heard the WMT call, The Big Shoe and Charlie Linebacker...equally thrilling.

Back then, most games were sold to TV by the home team if a network didn't buy the rights. Road games, most times we were lucky to see the game locally.

That's the way it was back then, not every game was on TV. I remember Iowa played at Miami (FL) on a Saturday night, we hooked up a radio to an aux input we had for the bar sound system. 100+ people in there, listening to a RADIO feed...
Damn, I remember that Miami game as well. A road game when they were in their convict days I believe.I was in Wichita visiting family. They had tornadoes going through the area all night, and even though the game was on ABC or whatever network, didn't see a minute of it. They spent like four hours covering the weather updates. Was so pissed off.

So Hayden was kind of like a Chip Kelly/Gus Malzahn getting recruits through any means necessary and having a lot of success and Kirk is vanilla getting recruits by getting guys to the NFL and winning more than he loses with periods of major success.

Really, it comes down to preference. Someone already posted this, but iowa state runs the quirky offense with inferior talent and is awful. Iowa runs a simple system and wins 65% of the time.

It may come down to preference but it is impossible to replace the personality of Fry. It made everything else so much more fun.

Hayden's deepest teams came early in his career at Iowa. You arguably can say the exact same thing about Ferentz.

No matter the method, the results are very similar if you ask me. Hayden wasn't some miracle recruiter who could sell ketchup popsicles to women wearing white gloves.

I only remember a handful of bona fide huge Hayden gets, unless my memory is bad. Willie Guy, Melvin Foster. Dan McGwire, Larry Station. Maybe Ryan Driscoll and Trey Jackson for Iowa guys. I know Dwight and Banks were highly thought of but they weren't national biggies like Guy and Foster were.

He faced the exact same issues at Iowa that Ferentz has, and that is sustaining consistent high level year in year out recruiting success. After his staff started getting hired away after about a decade, suddenly he wasn't quite the recruiter he once was.

The way the Fry legend is with some around here, it's a wonder Iowa ever lost a game under him...

Reactions: cmhawks99
Hayden's deepest teams came early in his career at Iowa. You arguably can say the exact same thing about Ferentz.

No matter the method, the results are very similar if you ask me. Hayden wasn't some miracle recruiter who could sell ketchup popsicles to women wearing white gloves.

I only remember a handful of bona fide huge Hayden gets, unless my memory is bad. Willie Guy, Melvin Foster. Dan McGwire, Larry Station. Maybe Ryan Driscoll and Trey Jackson for Iowa guys. I know Dwight and Banks were highly thought of but they weren't national biggies like Guy and Foster were.

He faced the exact same issues at Iowa that Ferentz has, and that is sustaining consistent high level year in year out recruiting success. After his staff started getting hired away after about a decade, suddenly he wasn't quite the recruiter he once was.

The way the Fry legend is with some around here, it's a wonder Iowa ever lost a game under him...
Much of Hayden's appeal is two fold. First he took over when Iowa Football was Kansas of today. Hadn't had a winning season in 20 years. The other was Fry was outgoing and had some of that wow factor. This is the part where he and KF are the most disimilar. KF is understated and doesn't have Fry's gregarious outgoing nature. While their results have been fairly similar, the way they got there and their approach are quite different.

Oddly enough, Iowa fans build this whole Fry legend ... but they quickly forget the pitchforks that were held by the fans at the end of Fry's tenure. It was crazy how many fans wanted Fry out in those last few years. I guess the disappointment of '97 didn't help - especially given the talent on that team. Obviously the '98 season was a total bomb. Of course, prior to the disappointment of the '97 and '98 seasons ... '92-'94 was a continued heaping serving of mediocrity.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Trust me, Hayden Fry was, is, and always will be Iowa football for me. There was a time in my life where I thought Iowa would never, ever be good at football. Hayden changed that. It was like the entire state won the lottery...and "the myth" was born.

I just think it's like catching your first big fish as a kid. The fish might have been a 3 pound bass - but when you're 60 it's a 10 pounder.

If he only could have won a Rose Bowl...

Great candid stuff from Hartlieb. I didn't know the Dan McGwire story and thought it was pure gold that he beat him out as a redshirt junior.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT