ADVERTISEMENT

Interview with Chuck Hartlieb

Man I just went back and looked and "myteamcanbeatupyourteam" was right, Poholsky started a few games in '86 when Vlasic was hurt. That roster had 3 NFL QBs on it (Hartlieb, Vlasic, McGwire).

If he only could have won a Rose Bowl...

He would have if not for Ronnie Harmon
A real catch 22 though, because we probably don't get to the Rose Bowl without Harmon either. I remember him as a little bit bigger version of Wadley. Great talent no doubt. Too bad he couldn't wait for the gravy train to arrive till he got in the league. Had a very good NFL career as well. I always wondered what it was like for his brother Kevin on the squad, the year after that fiasco.

Man I just went back and looked and "myteamcanbeatupyourteam" was right, Poholsky started a few games in '86 when Vlasic was hurt. That roster had 3 NFL QBs on it (Hartlieb, Vlasic, McGwire).
I guess technically you could say that. In all honesty though, its not like any of those guys did a thing in the league. I think the pickle was with my chiefs for a couple of years, and got in a few games. I couldn't even tell you where Hartlieb, and McGwire were for their cup of coffee.

You're right about that. I know McGwire was a 1st rounder for Seattle and played something like 5 seasons. Vlasic went in the 3rd round and I didn't even know Hartlieb played in the NFL until I listened to this podcast. He was with the Oilers and it was interesting to hear him talk about his regrets and backing up Warren Moon.

You're right about that. I know McGwire was a 1st rounder for Seattle and played something like 5 seasons. Vlasic went in the 3rd round and I didn't even know Hartlieb played in the NFL until I listened to this podcast. He was with the Oilers and it was interesting to hear him talk about his regrets and backing up Warren Moon.
I just remember when McGwire transfered to San Diego State because Hayden went with Poholsky, and then to Hartlieb. Fry realized, and rightfully so, that although big Dan could throw the pig skin 80 yards, he wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. Really struggled with understanding the offense. He put up big numbers at SDSU, but crashed and burned in the league. He also went on the Roy Firestone show, before the draft, and basically called Fry an idiot for not naming him the starter, and hastening his transfer.

Reactions: Lamoni
That interview is great and a must listen for anybody that witnessed the glory years under Hayden. Chuck made a point about the imprtance of guys making big plays and said he thinks that is what has been missing in current program for a few years.

Not challenging you but, were they missing in the year when we went 12-0...

See here is my point and the Internet/message board/comment boards, et al is a microcosm of this....

Chuck went 9-3 in 1987 and we lost to Tenn, 22-23 when one more Big play would have won game...

We lost to MSU when we only scored 14 points...

We got crushed by a pretty average Michigan 37-10...

The next year we went 6-4-3, so honestly pretty bizarre thought process for me to question the "current" program vs any of Haydens?

Can someone explain why people hear something and go "oh yeah that sounds right?' It doesn't take much back checking to go...Hmmm wait a minute here....As for Chuck his memory of "big plays" must not go back very far. Or rather maybe it doesn't matter if we lose...just wondering?

Reactions: iamia
I just remember when McGwire transfered to San Diego State because Hayden went with Poholsky, and then to Hartlieb. Fry realized, and rightfully so, that although big Dan could throw the pig skin 80 yards, he wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. Really struggled with understanding the offense. He put up big numbers at SDSU, but crashed and burned in the league. He also went on the Roy Firestone show, before the draft, and basically called Fry an idiot for not naming him the starter, and hastening his transfer.

Well that's more of that perspective stuff, he did make the NFL and undoubtedly there were some who "thought" he should have been named the starter. Thank goodness we didn't have these message boards back then because Hayden too would have been relentlessly questioned just like KF...

As far as Hartlieb goes or Hayden I always felt like Chuck was a heck of a QB and Hayden was a fine coach and was capable of making decisions without my input, but I was in the stands as a youngster when they complained about him as well.

Don't forget Poholsky was initially the starter (and that was a bit of a miss) and Big Dan was a HUGE BIG TIME recruit and the message board would have come unglued had it happened today.

Well that's more of that perspective stuff, he did make the NFL and undoubtedly there were some who "thought" he should have been named the starter. Thank goodness we didn't have these message boards back then because Hayden too would have been relentlessly questioned just like KF...

As far as Hartlieb goes or Hayden I always felt like Chuck was a heck of a QB and Hayden was a fine coach and was capable of making decisions without my input, but I was in the stands as a youngster when they complained about him as well.

Don't forget Poholsky was initially the starter (and that was a bit of a miss) and Big Dan was a HUGE BIG TIME recruit and the message board would have come unglued had it happened today.
Hep, just one of the things that KF has to put up with now, that his mentor did not. I recall Musberger I think going on about Poholsky in a game because his dad was a pitcher for the cubs, I believe. I think all three guys playing, that day, as Hayden hadn't made a decision on his guy.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Add John Alt OT, Dave Stroebel TE, J C Love(-Jordan) RB and George Little DT as high profile national recruits.

Whatever year Brad Quast came in we had like 6 top 200 players, A Lber from Texas that I'm mad I can't remember and I do believe it is the same class McWire was in. Easily HF's best rated class. Mostly they looked much like our Current classes.

I do however believe Larry Station was a fairly highly rated guy coming out as well?!

Whatever year Brad Quast came in we had like 6 top 200 players, A Lber from Texas that I'm mad I can't remember and I do believe it is the same class McWire was in. Easily HF's best rated class. Mostly they looked much like our Current classes.

I do however believe Larry Station was a fairly highly rated guy coming out as well?!
I'm thinking Melvin Foster?

Reactions: cmhawks99
Yea big Dan, came from a very interesting family. Of course his brother was pretty famous baseball player at USC. I think he was a pitcher, along with Randy Johnson, for the Trojans.(Yes I know thats not what Mark is famous for)! Also think their sister was in the Miss America pagent. Must have been pretty interesting around the dinner table, in the McGwire household.

Oddly enough, Iowa fans build this whole Fry legend ... but they quickly forget the pitchforks that were held by the fans at the end of Fry's tenure. It was crazy how many fans wanted Fry out in those last few years. I guess the disappointment of '97 didn't help - especially given the talent on that team. Obviously the '98 season was a total bomb. Of course, prior to the disappointment of the '97 and '98 seasons ... '92-'94 was a continued heaping serving of mediocrity.

You nailed it, as were 88 & 89 and tons of 8-4's which our fans currently hate...funny and shows a lack of perspective!

Hep, just one of the things that KF has to put up with now, that his mentor did not. I recall Musberger I think going on about Poholsky in a game because his dad was a pitcher for the cubs, I believe. I think all three guys playing, that day, as Hayden hadn't made a decision on his guy.

Yes, yes, yes...thanks for the memory I forgot his dad was a pitcher, you are correct. He did not play well if I remember correctly.

Yea big Dan, came from a very interesting family. Of course his brother was pretty famous baseball player at USC. I think he was a pitcher, along with Randy Johnson, for the Trojans.(Yes I know thats not what Mark is famous for)! Also think their sister was in the Miss America pagent. Must have been pretty interesting around the dinner table, in the McGwire household.

Yep that all sounds dead on...

Former major leaguer Barry Larkin had an amazing family as well. Brother I think played football for USC, had a basketball playing brother that may have played at Xavier and a sister who was super, super smart.I believe there was a sports illustrated article on it back in the 80's?

I am to young to really remember much of the Fry era. And after watching old highlights over and over can someone tell me why Fry used to have his quarterbacks back peddle to their opposite side? On that Hartlieb play I noticed he had to turn around to throw. Thanks

They actually asked Hartlieb about this in the podcast episode that I posted in this thread. Hartlieb said Fry wanted him to drop back this way in order to see the entire field during the drop back instead of just the right side.

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
I am to young to really remember much of the Fry era. And after watching old highlights over and over can someone tell me why Fry used to have his quarterbacks back peddle to their opposite side? On that Hartlieb play I noticed he had to turn around to throw. Thanks

IIRC, he wanted them to back peddle with their shoulders parallel with the line of scrimmage - said he thought they could see the whole field and not tip off the safeties as much as to which side the throw might go.

Reactions: Lamoni
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT