ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa #1 again....

Unless you think Brands is going to magically become a full-sized 184 this year, this comment makes no sense. He doesn't get extra points at the tournament because he's small. Him placing 8th might be more impressive than Wilcke placing 7th, but Wilcke still scores more points, and that's all that matters.

I was responding to MSU's comment that Brands was more Mike Kelly than Lincoln McIlravy. MSU could have just say Brands is undersized and leave it at that, but he threw a dig in there and I was responding to that.

Rasheed places 7th at 197 in 2018.

And I can’t see T&T going all in on a full sized 184 with Nelson this year because of the hedge they need to make with MK’s health. I’ve not read all the threads, but wouldn’t this be the dilemma at 184 (it may be the majority opinion in other threads)?

Rasheed places 7th at 197 in 2018.

And I can’t see T&T going all in on a full sized 184 with Nelson this year because of the hedge they need to make with MK’s health. I’ve not read all the threads, but wouldn’t this be the dilemma at 184 (it may be the majority opinion in other threads)?
Got a crystal ball? I vote to let Midlands sort it out. Iowa has to put best team on the mat for nationals, so, a gamble is necessary.

Him placing 8th might be more impressive than Wilcke placing 7th, but Wilcke still scores more points, and that's all that matters.
Not necessarily. That is only a 1 point difference in placement point. Bonus points could easily make up and surpass that difference.

Not necessarily. That is only a 1 point difference in placement point. Bonus points could easily make up and surpass that difference.
If you're assuming he's going to bonus full fledged 184 lbers that are good enough to qualify for Nationals you're taking quite a leap of faith IMO.

Reactions: js8793
May I offer you a tissue?

He was an underdog to be a multi-year starter in the exclusively top-10 p4b, highly-heralded, star-studded, no-coach-needed, so-unfair PSU lineup. Of all people, I would have figured you'd understand just how much of a success story that represents. #43? That has PSU room guy written all over it.

Ahhh.... I get what your saying now. Rasheed was unheralded for PSU only.

Anywhere else, Rasheed would've been considered a pretty good recruit, but at PSU a #43 recruit is pretty pedestrian.

Thanks for explaining. Usually PSU fans aren't so candid about what's behind Cael's success. ;)

Ahhh.... I get what your saying now. Rasheed was unheralded for PSU only.

Anywhere else, Rasheed would've been considered a pretty good recruit, but at PSU a #43 recruit is pretty pedestrian.

Thanks for explaining. Usually PSU fans aren't so candid about what's behind Cael's success. ;)

I did keep our usual snark in there, though. Didn't want anyone to think I had gone completely nuts. ;)

Have a happy Thanksgiving, man -- and take a break from thinking about Cael's recruit rankings. That stuff can really eat at a guy!

I was responding to MSU's comment that Brands was more Mike Kelly than Lincoln McIlravy. MSU could have just say Brands is undersized and leave it at that, but he threw a dig in there and I was responding to that.

Serious misreading/misunderstanding of what I said. I didn’t say Nelson himself was Mike Kelly. I was taking about the feeling fans have for him being a more Mike Kelly situation at this point than him currently being a transcending great. People are so worn out by Wilcke’s style that they are refreshed by a very aggressive wrestler even though the actual wrestling results have yet to show he is better than Wilcke at 184, which I don’t think he is.

For the record, I am impressed by Brands and expect much better results thank Mike Kelly. I just think the CURRENT situation is more similar to liking Mike starting simply due to how obvious his extreme effort was than to A great like Lincoln Mc winning it all as a TF.

To be fair, Nelson is 2-0 at 184, including a win over someone that Cash is 0-1 against

To be fair, I watched both of his matches closely and the controversial way he won over Colbray and how easily every takedown attempt before that was stuffed didn’t instill confidence. Meanwhile, Wilcke had no issue taking Colbray down and only lost following the team theme that particular early season meet where a majority seemed to have the ending effects of something flu like as nearly every wrestler was dead in the 3rd period, including Lee and DeSanto.

Put it this way, if Brands was bonusing these guys, I would be all in. But, a flash takedown on a reshot during OT tiebreakers compounded by a questionable decision to concede the deciding point isn’t something to make me forget about a 5th year senior that has won 8 matches at NCAA’s.

Hopefully, one of them clearly separates themselves by Midlands. I am not knocking Brands. I think he would be a solid AA candidate at his ideal weight. I just think his being undersized showed in both matches and I am Leary that it would really be an issue when the other 32 guys in March should be in peak condition to use that size advantage and minimize his gas tank advantage.

When has Nelson Brands shown that he bonuses good wrestlers? The best guy he bonused last year was Skyler St. John, and that was at 165. He wrestled 3 decent guys last year (Gunther, Dow, Allar), though all 3 were only fringe NQ type guys, and 2 of the 3 were OT, and the other was 4-2.

Now you think he's going to bonus NQs up 2 weight classes?

People love Nelson for his hustle, grit, and old school attitude, but he is not a bonus guy right now, especially at 184. He's going to win a lot of 1-3 point matches on his heart and hustle.

To be fair, I watched both of his matches closely and the controversial way he won over Colbray and how easily every takedown attempt before that was stuffed didn’t instill confidence. Meanwhile, Wilcke had no issue taking Colbray down and only lost following the team theme that particular early season meet where a majority seemed to have the ending effects of something flu like as nearly every wrestler was dead in the 3rd period, including Lee and DeSanto.

Put it this way, if Brands was bonusing these guys, I would be all in. But, a flash takedown on a reshot during OT tiebreakers compounded by a questionable decision to concede the deciding point isn’t something to make me forget about a 5th year senior that has won 8 matches at NCAA’s.

Hopefully, one of them clearly separates themselves by Midlands. I am not knocking Brands. I think he would be a solid AA candidate at his ideal weight. I just think his being undersized showed in both matches and I am Leary that it would really be an issue when the other 32 guys in March should be in peak condition to use that size advantage and minimize his gas tank advantage.

It’s easy. We put the best guy on the mat. Nelson has more upside than a fifth year senior who has failed to AA up till now, imo.

Last edited:
MSU, I will grant you the statement that Wilke had no problem taking down Colbray if we add the caveat that Cash is unwilling to do so repeatedly for whatever reason. That is sticking point that I am sure we are all stuck on.

Nelson is not a bonus machine at 184 right now but that is irrelevant as neither is Cash. Full size 184's may grind the gas tank out of Nelson but those same guys don't fear Cash either. We end up with the same 4-3 match because CW doesn't push the pace.

Bonus or not, we need the guy willing to put it all out there and march as deep into the field of 184 as their skill set will allow them in March. I am backing whichever pony we ride as both will have their chance to claim the spot. Midlands should be interesting at several weights for us.

Doesn't matter who wins the weights. Only matters what they do with it once they have it.

I have said that I do think Midlands is a key deciding point, but I would go a little further. I would do my best to make sure they are both seeded in a way that makes it very likely they have to wrestle each other. Maybe a 3 and 6 seed, 2 and 7 or even a 1 and 4/5 depending on what other ranked guys are there.

Take the “feel” out of it and let the results dictate the decision.

MSU, I will grant you the statement that Wilke had no problem taking down Colbray if we add the caveat that Cash is unwilling to do so repeatedly for whatever reason. That is sticking point that I am sure we are all stuck on.

Nelson is not a bonus machine at 184 right now but that is irrelevant as neither is Cash. Full size 184's may grind the gas tank out of Nelson but those same guys don't fear Cash either. We end up with the same 4-3 match because CW doesn't push the pace.

Bonus or not, we need the guy willing to put it all out there and march as deep into the field of 184 as their skill set will allow them in March. I am backing whichever pony we ride as both will have their chance to claim the spot. Midlands should be interesting at several weights for us.

Doesn't matter who wins the weights. Only matters what they do with it once they have it.
True. The only reason I brought it up was another poster suggesting that Nelson would score more bonus than Cash. Reality is neither of them should be expected to do that, so you go with the guy who you think places highest.

Midlands will give us a much better idea of who that is. We've only seen Nelson at 184 for duals. I'm very curious how his energy level will hold up in a tournament dealing with the size.

True. The only reason I brought it up was another poster suggesting that Nelson would score more bonus than Cash. Reality is neither of them should be expected to do that, so you go with the guy who you think places highest.

Midlands will give us a much better idea of who that is. We've only seen Nelson at 184 for duals. I'm very curious how his energy level will hold up in a tournament dealing with the size.

Midlands will be a snapshot in time. That’s important.

But I’m really more interested in where they both have the potential to be in March.

Last edited:
Reactions: wasdt21
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT