ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa -2.5 vs Iowa State

I could see how if someone was, for example, a Nebraska fan, watching their team miss bowl games over and over and over no matter who was coaching, that they might be lulled into thinking that a coordinator change can’t possibly make a difference.

Or, one might actually instead pay attention to what happens across the sport and notice how often a coordinator change makes an immediate impact.

And when it comes to backup quarterbacks, Sullivan was a HELL of a lot better than Deacon Hill and that thing called Heinrich Haarberg. Good teams try to build depth. Others empty their NIL chest for a true freshman.
Also didn't your try to empty whatever money the Swarm chest has in it twice on a Freshman OT? So much for good teams building depth 😂😂

Reactions: BumHumpingHawkeye
The new OC is a significant factor. Last I checked, ISU returns 19 starters, including some good skill people on offense. As always the OL is the question. The difference in Trice last year was a pick-six.
Actually the difference was the Iowa defense is flat out better. The Hawks return a majority of the defense so the clowns lose again.

Hey Loney Clown I see Pollard is too poor to do a wrestling facility. Better hope he can keep paying the revenue bonds without defaulting. Remember he has to pay interest and principal back not just one.

"Then after Iowa would win, somehow the narrative became that their opponent wasn't any good". Nothing could be more true against good teams last year 92-0. Guess what? Iowa didn't have the 92! Won 10 games against crappy teams.
You've pretty much made my point for me. This thread is about finding opportunities to make money. It doesn't involve fans who's thoughts don't extend beyond the offense. And it isn't concerned with fan narratives, such as strength of schedule.

The OP gives sound advice. There's a good chance Iowa will be at least a 3 point favorite by kick-off. Many people simply don't gamble, which is fine. But so many Iowa fans just can't see beyond the offense to an extent where they are even capable of betting on Iowa.

Given its offensive struggles, many fans flat out haven't believed that Iowa is any good. As I've stated, time after time the past couple seasons I've been laughed at for betting the Iowa money line (which means betting strictly that Iowa wins, regardless of point spread). Time after time, people have asked rhetorically, "how is Iowa going to win, when they can't even score?"

People that have been capable of betting on Iowa have understood that who Iowa is, in its entirety, has value. They've understood that Iowa, in fact, is good. And they've understood this strongly enough to have risked their hard earned money on it.

The old adage is, "put your money where your mouth is." Instantly, more credibility is given to those arguing that Iowa is good when they've risked money on that opinion being true. Add in the fact that quite often these bettors have been proven correct, by way of Iowa victories, and case closed, right? The argument that Iowa is in fact good has been won, correct? Well, not so fast, say the shape shifting narrators. Now, their claim is that the opponent wasn't any good. And these are literally the same people who throughout the week claimed that these teams would beat Iowa🤣.

So one can see how frustrating it's been for fans wise enough and confident enough to have been risking their hard earned money on Iowa, and to have consistently been proven correct, to have had to listen to fans who insist on tearing Iowa down.

Since you mention the schedule, I happen to not believe it to have been a gimme at all. Simply, winning is never easy. Diving deeper, 4 road wins (I'm categorizing the NW game at Wrigley as a road game) is pretty impressive. Going into the season, every fan would have been thrilled with 4 road wins. 3 of those road wins with a backup QB would be extra impressive. But now they minimize the 4 road wins because they weren't entertained enough.

Winning 3 trophy games is impressive. Winning 3 trophy games on the road pretty much never happens. If you'd said, going into the season, that 2 of those wins would be with a backup QB, people would start to question your sanity. But all of those wins have gotten downplayed because fans haven't been entertained.

Don't tell anyone, but Rutgers and NW both won bowl games.

Anyone minimizing the wins of a program that has been successful for near the entirety of 25 years is just making themselves sound foolish. Maybe the schedule wasn't the strongest. But certainly the credit, or at least the benefit of the doubt, goes to the team that's most likely applied the same things that led to 20+ years of winning. What would cause fans to minimize these wins? Lack of entertainment.

Also, anyone minimizing a 10 win season played primarily with a backup QB, is just making themselves sound foolish. What would cause fans to minimize such a feat? You guessed it, lack of entertainment.

Even if Iowa's strength of schedule was awful, and none of their wins were impressive (which I don't believe), do you think sports bettors give a crap while their counting their profits? No. So take that "weak schedule" narrative elsewhere.

Actually, don't. That crap has really gotten old. As I've delineated, the narrative exists more because fans haven't been entertained, rather than having strong roots in reality. If these fans were to ever consider that some fans are actually more entertained by low- scoring slugfests, would they recognize how the imposition of their taste in entertainment has overstepped its boundaries?

Iowa has been a damn good football program for a long time. Are you guys done yet?

Last edited:
You've pretty much made my point for me. This thread is about finding opportunities to make money. It doesn't involve fans who's thoughts don't extend beyond the offense. And it isn't concerned with fan narratives, such as strength of schedule.

The OP gives sound advice. There's a good chance Iowa will be at least a 3 point favorite by kick-off. Many people simply don't gamble, which is fine. But so many Iowa fans just can't see beyond the offense to an extent where they are even capable of betting on Iowa.

Given its offensive struggles, many fans flat out haven't believed that Iowa is any good. As I've stated, time after time the past couple seasons I've been laughed at for betting the Iowa money line (which means betting strictly that Iowa wins, regardless of point spread). Time after time, people have asked rhetorically, "how is Iowa going to win, when they can't even score?"

People that have been capable of betting on Iowa have understood that who Iowa is, in its entirety, has value. They've understood that Iowa, in fact, is good. And they've understood this strongly enough to have risked their hard earned money on it.

The old adage is, "put your money where your mouth is." Instantly, more credibility is given to those arguing that Iowa is good when they've risked money on that opinion being true. Add in the fact that quite often these bettors have been proven correct, by way of Iowa victories, and case closed, right? The argument that Iowa is in fact good has been won, correct? Well, not so fast, say the shape shifting narrators. Now, their claim is that the opponent wasn't any good. And these are literally the same people who throughout the week claimed that these teams would beat Iowa🤣.

So one can see how frustrating it's been for fans wise enough and confident enough to have been risking their hard earned money on Iowa, and to have consistently been proven correct, to have had to listen to fans who insist on tearing Iowa down.

Since you mention the schedule, I happen to not believe it to have been a gimme at all. Simply, winning is never easy. Diving deeper, 4 road wins (I'm categorizing the NW game at Wrigley as a road game) is pretty impressive. Going into the season, every fan would have been thrilled with 4 road wins. 3 of those road wins with a backup QB would be extra impressive. But now they minimize the 4 road wins because they weren't entertained enough.

Winning 3 trophy games is impressive. Winning 3 trophy games on the road pretty much never happens. If you'd said, going into the season, that 2 of those wins would be with a backup QB, people would start to question your sanity. But all of those wins have gotten downplayed because fans haven't been entertained.

Don't tell anyone, but Rutgers and NW both won bowl games.

Anyone minimizing the wins of a program that has been successful for near the entirety of 25 years is just making themselves sound foolish. Maybe the schedule wasn't the strongest. But certainly the credit, or at least the benefit of the doubt, goes to the team that's most likely applied the same things that led to 20+ years of winning. What would cause fans to minimize these wins? Lack of entertainment.

Also, anyone minimizing a 10 win season played primarily with a backup QB, is just making themselves sound foolish. What would cause fans to minimize such a feat? You guessed it, lack of entertainment.

Even if Iowa's strength of schedule was awful, and none of their wins were impressive (which I don't believe), do you think sports bettors give a crap while their counting their profits? No. So take that "weak schedule" narrative elsewhere.

Actually, don't. That crap has really gotten old. As I've delineated, the narrative exists more because fans haven't been entertained, rather than having strong roots in reality. If these fans were to ever consider that some fans are actually more entertained by low- scoring slugfests, would they recognize how the imposition of their taste in entertainment has overstepped its boundaries?

Iowa has been a damn good football program for a long time. Are you guys done yet?
You don't get it.

Cool story, but why are you telling me that...Are we both suppose to razz on Nebraska? But since you're on the topic of QB rooms, I would say Nebraska probably has the better room with a 5 star QB and I believe they brought in a 4 star as well. Could be wrong don't really follow them that closely. But if you're trying to say Iowa has the better room and are actually trying to build a room I would say you're wrong on both counts there bud.
This dumb post got me thinking, when was the last time Iowa lost to Nebber in Kinnick West and/or Lincoln?!?!

Is it even longer ago than our last loss in Ames?

Has it been a combined 30 years since we’ve lost in either of those shit towns???

• Love
This dumb post got me thinking, when was the last time Iowa lost to Nebber in Kinnick West and/or Lincoln?!?!

Is it even longer ago than our last loss in Ames?

Has it been a combined 30 years since we’ve lost in either of those shit towns???
Hmmm. Off the top of my head, 2011. I think that was the last loss in Ames too?

• Haha
Cool story, but why are you telling me that...Are we both suppose to razz on Nebraska? But since you're on the topic of QB rooms, I would say Nebraska probably has the better room with a 5 star QB and I believe they brought in a 4 star as well. Could be wrong don't really follow them that closely. But if you're trying to say Iowa has the better room and are actually trying to build a room I would say you're wrong on both counts there bud.
We’re so accustomed to Nebraska fans coming over that we tend to jump to conclusions when someone posts here that isn’t an Iowa fan. My bad.

As for QB rooms, if Raiola lives up to his 5* ranking, then good for Nebbie. But I don’t know how I would feel if Iowa was starting a true frosh at QB, even one as highly regarded as Raiola. As it stands, I feel better about Iowa’s QB situation right NOW. Moving forward?? Yeah, a Nebraska fan has every right to be excited about the future.

This line jumps off the page as a trap line - begging for Iowa money. This is one I'm definitely staying away from, especially when we have no idea what our QB situation is going to look like. ISU returns everyone, they shouldn't be taken lightly.
I will be all over that line. They think we are basically even in Kinnick?!?!??!?
As much as I hate to admit it, ISU is going to be pretty decent this season. I would say they’re at least the third best team on the schedule.

BUT…a new OC rolling into Kinnick will have his hands full. They were good offensively last year, and got a garbage TD and less than 4 yards per play on us.
Definitely know what you mean about the scary 2.5 point home favorites. In this case though, I'm not scared about that because it's a spring line. It's too early for Vegas to have much detailed info on either team.

This is heavily a computer line at this point. If Vegas considers two teams about equal they will favor the home team by 3. But given the recent low scoring output from Iowa, -2.5 is basically the computer's interpretation of two equal teams. The computer trusts its data more than it is able to quantify the potential of a new system helping Iowa's offense.

Similarly, if two equal teams have the propensity to kick FG's you can see a 2.5 point home favorite instead of 3. This applies for Iowa and ISU. Whereas with two high scoring equal teams the home team can be favored by 3.5

I happen to not believe the teams to be equal, so I've already risked .5 units on Iowa, with the intention of ending up with about 2 units on the game. It is a good time to get in on Iowa because the line is more likely to go to -3 than the other way. And 2.5 is definitely a nicer number than 3. On a game like this I'll see what small juice-free bets I can accumulate in the community over the next couple months. Usually I'll find a couple ISU fans (I know, isn't it crazy they actually exist) that will even be willing to bet the game straight up (with no point spread) for even money. But it's still early, so I'm not going to get completely invested in case, for example, Cade's health does not progress well.

Again, I think the scoring data from Iowa lately is giving Iowa bettors some nice value here, which has been the case the past couple of seasons.

Iowa has the better team. The wildcard is a possible early season hiccup in the new offense. But at the same time, ISU won't have much film on it. But as a bettor, I know the best and most reliable unit on the field will be Iowa's defense. I think most bettors rely on Iowa's special teams to be good as well, and I happen to be high on Iowa's special teams this year. Word is, from some pretty keen ISU fans, that their OL is questionable. We know that doesn't match up well against Iowa's D, and we know the game to be won up front. From my understanding, ISU's new OC is from within the system, so there may not be much of an adjustment period for them there.

Overall, I think 2.5 is a really good number for Iowa bettors. Kinnick has also been known to be worth more than 3 points at times. Some might not be as high on Iowa, as a bet. But I don't see how anyone could risk their hard earned money on ISU, that much is for sure

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT