ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa 54th in Total Offense

th
Good job Tim Lester?
Fire everyone?
Bring back BF?

And I don’t mean any sarcasm by any means - it sucks as it seems like our defense is taking a tiny step back in the secondary only… I think we can get that corrected very soon

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
lol 3 games in agianst ill st and Troy wow we should all throw a party for the kick ass offense, only good thing has been Johnson busting some runs, passing game still looks like junk

They've had one real game and did not look good. And they only looked mediocre against a bad FPS (Is that what we are calling it now?) team. I have seen moments though so I feel like the issues Iowa has had are more due to mental errors and mistakes rather than just not being capable. Mental errors and mistakes can be fixed...or at least they should be able to be fixed. I guess we could have dumb players but that's not usually the case at Iowa.

Reactions: bumper52
I see that ranking rapidly falling as competition picks up. The talent level from here on out will resemble closer to ISU than Illinois St or Troy. I think Johnson getting 100 yards will be huge as the passing game isn’t there yet….somehow.

Reactions: ICHerky
Lachey has to be frustrated with coming back to hardly any targets at the tightend position. I’m hoping Iowa is saving some sort of spread formations with their wide receivers to spread the field to help the passing game with the tight ends as well as the running game out of the backfield. Keeping Jaz healthy to this point helps in a long and tough B1G schedule.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Just think, Iowa could be #1 in offense if they could just schedule some junior high teams. Dumb thread. The tough teams are on the horizon. Let's see how that goes. Remember how Iowa mightily struggled against ISU? That was a better litmus test.
I am seeing some good things with Iowa's offense. But I still want to see us throw it past the sticks on third down unless it is some type of screen.

Do you remember how Iowa's offense struggled against Colo St, S Dakota St, and other weaker teams in 2021-23. The hawk offense sputtered against ISU for half the game but got a good strike back TD with 5 min left in the 3rd qtr gbut Cade struggled passing in the last 3 qtrs.

Otherwise, Cade struggled early against ILL st. (see my new post about Cade's numbers and inconsistency.

I am seeing some good things with Iowa's offense. But I still want to see us throw it past the sticks on third down unless it is some type of screen.

Do you remember how Iowa's offense struggled against Colo St, S Dakota St, and other weaker teams in 2021-23. The hawk offense sputtered against ISU for half the game but got a good strike back TD with 5 min left in the 3rd qtr gbut Cade struggled passing in the last 3 qtrs.

Otherwise, Cade struggled early against ILL st. (see my new post about Cade's numbers and inconsistency.
Plus.... those 2 goaline collapses cost us the game. Convert those.... like we did this week....and we are 3-0.

I guess I'm not in "sky is still falling" mode for the offense. They do look a lot better than the trash we have been seeing for 3 years

If we finish top 75-100 I’ll be happy for a first year OC who did tweak the offense a bit….who is the QB next year? Does Sully have another year?

Just think, Iowa could be #1 in offense if they could just schedule some junior high teams. Dumb thread. The tough teams are on the horizon. Let's see how that goes. Remember how Iowa mightily struggled against ISU? That was a better litmus test.
Mightly struggled?

Iowa > your team

Troy doesn't suck. That's not to say they are a power either. They've won the Sunbelt the last two years and went 23-5. This year they have a brand new HC.

The Hawks put up 462 yds and had 25 first downs. No penalties, no turnovers. Cade was 19/23 for 176 yds. He was sacked twice. Johnson ran for 173 yds.

Last year against W. Michigan in game 3 (who went 4-8), Cade was 9/19 for 103 yds, 2 picks, 2 TD's. The Hawks picked up 387 yds. and had 19 first downs.

After 3 games in 2023, the Hawks were averaging 235 yds of offense and 13 first downs. This year it's 419 yards and 21 first downs. They averaged 218 yds and 12 first downs after 3 games in 2022.

In fact, you have to go back to 2015 to find an Iowa team averaging more than 419 yds after 3 games (423 yds).

Am I thrilled and excited about the offense? Nope. Has it improved? Absolutely.

Right now I am more upset with the defense. Practically everyone back and so far this year they have given up 3 long TD passes and a 30 completion in the final minute against ISU. And all 4 plays were EASY. Not to mention special teams giving up a punt return for a TD without even being touched. No one even close.

Next up - the Goofers. Payback time!

Overall, Iowa looks to have a pretty mediocre offense this year (which is certainly better than weve seen lately). It’s got a strong run game and a well-below average passing attack.

Kaleb Johnson has Heisman-contender like numbers now, but Iowa has yet to face the meat of its schedule. It won’t be long before teams with a pulse figure out that they’ll have to dare Iowa to throw the ball to beat them.

Reactions: TXHCHawk
Overall, Iowa looks to have a pretty mediocre offense this year (which is certainly better than weve seen lately). It’s got a strong run game and a well-below average passing attack.

Kaleb Johnson has Heisman-contender like numbers now, but Iowa has yet to face the meat of its schedule. It won’t be long before teams with a pulse figure out
that they’ll have to dare Iowa to throw the ball to beat them.
What is new there the last 4-5 years!!!

Over at ESPN
62nd in points scored
33rd in points against
18th in rushing yards
108th in passing yards
I believe all those numbers are better than last year. But those numbers are against the sisters-of-the-poor.
If Lester can keep those numbers thru the end of the season he will be the first OC in Kirk's tenure to be better than the previous OC. Good news indeed. But we know next years' narrative. "Our 6th year QB is gone blah blah blah ... so you better expect a step back from 2024."
Every year it is the same thing. If you're a "good" fan you won't expect improvement from the previous year.

What is new there the last 4-5 years!!!
A respectable running game.
Over at ESPN
62nd in points scored
33rd in points against
18th in rushing yards
108th in passing yards
I believe all those numbers are better than last year. But those numbers are against the sisters-of-the-poor.
If Lester can keep those numbers thru the end of the season he will be the first OC in Kirk's tenure to be better than the previous OC. Good news indeed. But we know next years' narrative. "Our 6th year QB is gone blah blah blah ... so you better expect a step back from 2024."
Every year it is the same thing. If you're a "good" fan you won't expect improvement from the previous year.
32+ PPG isn’t anything for sneeze at, even against “meh” competition. Hell Iowa couldn’t even break double digits against SD State in 2022.

That said, Tennessee scored 65 against Kent State… in a half. That’s nearly as many points as Iowa scored against ILL St and Troy combined. They could have easily put up 100+ if they really wanted. They probably won’t finish unbeaten, but that is a scary-ass team that can beat anyone in the country.

32+ PPG isn’t anything for sneeze at, even against “meh” competition. Hell Iowa couldn’t even break double digits against SD State in 2022.

That said, Tennessee scored 65 against Kent State… in a half. That’s nearly as many points as Iowa scored against ILL St and Troy combined. They could have easily put up 100+ if they really wanted. They probably won’t finish unbeaten, but that is a scary-ass team that can beat anyone in the country.
I tried to make it clear in my post I am HAPPY with 62nd. Big improvement over LAST PLACE. Certainly exceeding the 25 point threshold set last year. If we can stay at 62nd I'll consider that a victory.

Plus.... those 2 goaline collapses cost us the game. Convert those.... like we did this week....and we are 3-0.

I guess I'm not in "sky is still falling" mode for the offense. They do look a lot better than the trash we have been seeing for 3 years
We woulda won against moo u if defense didn't give up big plays. Much like they did against Troy.

Tennessee is a legit national championship contender. I think the most optimistic Hawkeye fans were hoping we could grab a 10-12 seed and sneak our way into the playoff. Similarly, the recipe for most hawkeye fans was to maintain elite defense and special teams and get our offense from 130th to ~80th best in the country. Our offense has made that improvement but unfortunately our defense and special teams have regressed. Also, while we have played ISU and 2 bad teams, the rest of the P4 has had similar schedules.

If this team still had Tory Taylor we would be 3-0 and have a much sunnier outlook. I think the O has shown good signs. The thing that sucks is we weren’t able to take more advantage of the incredible D/ST in 20-24 due to poor QB play, OC, and offense in general. It’s unrealistic to believe our D/ST could stay elite forever.

I see a bunch of posts downplaying the #54 rating as the result of playing poorly rated teams. but lost in this interpretation is the likelihood that if the defense were even somewhat close to last year's unit, we would not just have a 3-0 record but we would have seen 3 blowouts by a total margin of 120-0 or thereabouts. The drop in defensive ranking from (top 3) to #29 is what worries me. The rise in offense from 120+ to 54 is encouraging.

Ok so we all essentially agree that Iowa is looking better on offense. So the real question we need to be asking is when will NCAA25 update and give me a better Hawkeye offense to play with?

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT