ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa 6th best state and Florida 9th #suckit

My State = Iowa

Luckily for only a little bit longer. It’s been so damn long.
You can just park your car/RV and camp here for free for about two weeks. No amenities but there's a Maverik just up the road and you're looking at Provo/Orem across the way where you can find anything you need. Provo about 45 mins with traffic, SLC an hour the other direction at the fork on the northeast side of the lake

IMG-20240503-205700.jpg

You can just park your car/RV and camp here for free for about two weeks. No amenities but there's a Maverik just up the road and you're looking at Provo/Orem across the way where you can find anything you need. Provo about 45 mins with traffic, SLC an hour the other direction at the fork on the northeast side of the lake

IMG-20240503-205700.jpg
For some reason Google censoring business results in Eagle Mountain but I just found an Ace Hardware/grocery store and the cashier asked me if I was Connor's dad. Didn't want to risk getting my ass kicked in a foreign land so I denied ever knowing any Connors. This place is way closer for groceries and supplies. Turns out Connor's cool and that was my crime ridden Iowa instincts kicking in.

Not according to these rankings
People said that it was lies when Iowa was once #1 on this list, so either this list is an annual liar, or Iowa was actually the best state in the Union.....still is the best state in the Union.....and only allows other states to hold honorary titles ranking ahead of them so the other 49 states don't feel left out. Take your pick........

Either way............Iowa > Nebraska :cool:

People said that it was lies when Iowa was once #1 on this list, so either this list is an annual liar, or Iowa was actually the best state in the Union.....still is the best state in the Union.....and only allows other states to hold honorary titles ranking ahead of them so the other 49 states don't feel left out. Take your pick........

Either way............Iowa > Nebraska :cool:
Nobody is defending Nebraska except when I say we should invade and conquer Omaha to make a Greater Iowa. Imagine that. One kick ass zoo, one decent zoo, and when you add up all the throwaway literary references to Omaha and Des Moines as middle of nowheresvilles, you havea pretty damned Americana famous Midwest A-minus state. We might be able to get a hockey or baseball team sponsored by some type of Good Gas Stations of America Association type of entity like they have for corn now.

And BTW if Nebraskans threaten to kill the zoo animals if we get close, let them. They're probably just Council Bluffing. But if they do kill the zoo animals, we'll get the generic round up guy to get some new ones. We just need the territory. Allow passage of refugees to Lincoln, no forced conversions. All indigenous welcome to transition to life as an Iowan if it is of their own free will.

College kids leave every State.
Yes, yes they do.

But where do they go?????

Not Mississippi North!
Oddly enough, all those meth labs and cheap houses in rural Iowa allow for a lower cost of living.

Surely an ingredient in this ranking.

Last edited:
I am a supporter of school choice, pro-life, tax cuts, actual girls sports, etc. In the past we had GOP leaders that would talk but never take action out of fear. She ran on those things and have made them reality.

I also feel like she handled COVID about as well as you could have compared to other states. She actually took personal freedom and sanity into account when everything started and gave defined timelines; not indefinite lockdowns.
Nailed it!!!

Nobody is defending Nebraska except when I say we should invade and conquer Omaha to make a Greater Iowa. Imagine that. One kick ass zoo, one decent zoo, and when you add up all the throwaway literary references to Omaha and Des Moines as middle of nowheresvilles, you havea pretty damned Americana famous Midwest A-minus state. We might be able to get a hockey or baseball team sponsored by some type of Good Gas Stations of America Association type of entity like they have for corn now.
While we're at it, lets carve off some more of the driftless region in SW Wisconsin and SE Minnesota and add it to Iowa. We should also think of something to name the new area, maybe lebensraum or something like that.

Reactions: ConvenientParking
I enjoy the Midwest seasons, and do a fair amount of travel to supplement the entertainment aspect of life.

Good to go.

Reactions: OutbackBowl2017
0. Omaha (we should just take it, we have twice the population of Nebraska and it's right there). Makes the list at 0 because Council Bluffs can't be #1.

Forbes lists us as the best city to move to!

#1 Omaha, Nebraska​

Score: 100 out of 100

According to our research, the overall best city to move to in 2024 is Omaha, Nebraska, which scored a perfect 100 out of 100 based on our point system.

Forbes lists us as the best city to move to!

#1 Omaha, Nebraska​

Score: 100 out of 100

According to our research, the overall best city to move to in 2024 is Omaha, Nebraska, which scored a perfect 100 out of 100 based on our point system.

fwiw omaha isn't that bad to live in. It's somewhat exceeded my expectations upon moving here. I will say, the walkability is shit. The bikability is also dog shit. Absolute dog shit. You need a car, and it sucks ass. Ya we get 117 sunny days, but if you want to go anywhere to enjoy it, you have to drive.

Otherwise a lot of entertainment, and a lot of good food.

fwiw omaha isn't that bad to live in. It's somewhat exceeded my expectations upon moving here. I will say, the walkability is shit. The bikability is also dog shit. Absolute dog shit. You need a car, and it sucks ass. Ya we get 117 sunny days, but if you want to go anywhere to enjoy it, you have to drive.

Lived here 30 years. Lots of times early in our marriage, my wife (originally from Pittsburgh) and I would talk of moving to Colorado, Twin Cities, or Chicago, and nearly moved to St. Louis. But Omaha really is a good place to live. Enough attractions of a big city without the worst aspects. Always had a manageable commute prior to WFH.

Omaha has a lot of nice trails for recreation (I use the one connected to our neighborhood all the time), but I agree that trying to bike anywhere with a purpose would be challenging.

Reactions: millah_22

That seems incredibly low.

Reactions: millah_22
Since you don’t like Iowa and will be moving soon, where do you currently live and what state will you be moving too?

I live in Iowa. I'm moving from Iowa. I've narrowed it down to likely either Vermont or New Hampshire - possibly Maine. Politics of the state mean nothing to me. It's all about being able to do the recreation I like to do on a regular basis. Iowa doesn't offer it.

Des Moines and the suburbs have fantastic bike trails where you can ride to downtown, other suburbs, or out in the country for 100 of miles depending on how long of a bike ride you want to take. Add in a lot of good places to stop for a beverage or something to eat.

Hearing a lot of these people bitch about where they live, you make it what it is based upon the level commitment and drive you have to do things in your community. Des Moines always has something to do entertainment wise, great places to go out to dinner or get a drink.

I live in Iowa. I'm moving from Iowa. I've narrowed it down to likely either Vermont of New Hampshire. Politics of the state mean nothing to me. It's all about being able to do the recreation I like to do on a regular basis. Iowa doesn't offer it.
Where at in Iowa? Central? Eastern, West?

Lived in the Mid Atlantic region for years so you should consider that from SC, NC, to VA. Great places to live throughout those states. Good luck.

Where at in Iowa? Central? Eastern, West?

Lived in the Mid Atlantic region for years so you should consider that from SC, NC, to VA. Great places to live throughout those states. Good luck.

I've lived all over Iowa. Western, central and eastern. Now live in eastern. Spent way too long here.

I've been pretty much coast to coast choosing our next move the last few years including SC, NC, and VA (in addition to working in those states often). The Northeast is what matches my interests best.

Des Moines and the suburbs have fantastic bike trails where you can ride to downtown, other suburbs, or out in the country for 100 of miles depending on how long of a bike ride you want to take. Add in a lot of good places to stop for a beverage or something to eat.

Hearing a lot of these people bitch about where they live, you make it what it is based upon the level commitment and drive you have to do things in your community. Des Moines always has something to do entertainment wise, great places to go out to dinner or get a drink.

I'll give it that, Des Moines does have excellent biking trails. They made an investment that has vastly improved the area to my tastes.

To your bolded, it assumes the things you really enjoy doing are available in your community. It's simply not possible to do the things I want to do in Iowa because they don't and can't exist. I could settle and find other hobbies and interests that Iowa can offer, but I have the means to not settle so why would I?

Look, Ioway is.....fine. It's not hell, but it's not a place I want to spend the rest of my years. You sound like you love it. Great, enjoy. In the meantime, I'm saying buh-bye as soon as I can. I'd say both perspectives are correct.

I'll give it that, Des Moines does have excellent biking trails. They made an investment that has vastly improved the area to my tastes.

To your bolded, it assumes the things you really enjoy doing are available in your community. It's simply not possible to do the things I want to do in Iowa because they don't and can't exist. I could settle and find other hobbies and interests that Iowa can offer, but I have the means to not settle so why would I?

Look, Ioway is.....fine. It's not hell, but it's not a place I want to spend the rest of my years. You sound like you love it. Great, enjoy. In the meantime, I'm saying buh-bye as soon as I can. I'd say both perspectives are correct.
Agree. Move to where you want to live and be happy. Life is too short so enjoy it the way you want too. I like it here minus the winters so will travel two to three months during that time to avoid it. Good luck on your decision to move to the NE region and the right place to call home.

IMG-20240503-205700.jpg

Looks like my daily commute, both ways

Reactions: ConvenientParking
Why are young Iowans with college degrees leaving the state, and why aren't people moving into Iowa?
This is not a new thing. Young Iowans have been doing that my entire life regardless of which political party is in charge. Happens with kids in other States as well. This happens because 1) it's a big world out there and no better time to explore than when you are are young. 2) They go where their job takes them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT