ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa adds 2024 Combo Guard Trey Buchanan (6'1, 175) as a Preferred Walk on

They are guarateed a spot on the team and are part of the training table. Not sure if PWO's share in the NIL pot or get anything. They are not on scholarship or recive room and board. If his dad is GM for the Pacers, he can afford to send him to Iowa, FWIW.
I know the PWO football players can participate in NIL money by working at the charities.

CJ redshirted as freshman because of a foot injury. He definitely had a scholly by the time the next season rolled around, but I'd wager it was before he got to campus.

CJ committed to Iowa on Aug 5, 2017 without a scholarship.

In late October, 2017
, Fran offered CJ a scholarship after the departure of Christian Williams.

CJ then graduated from high school in 2018. This is his 7th year in college.

CJ sat out the 2018-2019 season as a redshirt but mostly so he could work on his game and get bigger/stronger. But he wasn’t immune from injuries then, breaking a rib when he drew a charge from forward Tyler Cook in practice.

Why did he redshirt? From the linked hawkeyesports.com story below: When Fredrick arrived in Iowa City, he wasn’t ready physically. When he got to campus, he weighed 170 pounds. Heading into the 2019-20 season, Fredrick has added 25 pounds to his 6-foot-3 frame. “My body wasn’t ready last year,” he said. “I gained weight and got more athletic.”

Last edited:
Reactions: icwesthawk
Wasn't Nicholas Baer from Bettendorf a walk-on his first 2 years at Iowa before earning a scholarship from Fran and I could be wrong but didn't walk-on's Darius Stokes and Austin Ash receive scholarships from Fran before their senior year?

Wasn't Nicholas Baer from Bettendorf a walk-on his first 2 years at Iowa before earning a scholarship from Fran and I could be wrong but didn't walk-on's Darius Stokes and Austin Ash receive scholarships from Fran before their senior year?
Yes, yes and yes

Frans had pretty good luck with walk ons. Baer and Frederick. I expect he will uncover another gem before long.
I think C.J. was willing to walk on at Iowa, but didn't a scholarship open up ( Christian Williams ) before he enrolled and was on scholarship from day one. Then during fall practice, he tried to take a charge while Cook went to the basket for a dunk and sustained a broken rib that caused him to take a red shirt in his freshman year. That's how I remember it going down.

If he is your PG Iowa finishes at 17 in BIG. He is poor man's Gabe Cupps from IU.
He's not my pg or even Iowa's at this point. He's a freshman walkon who can probably play some pg in practice and he may turn into something by his senior year. He'd smoke Gabe Cupps one on one tho, just sayin ;)

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I think C.J. was willing to walk on at Iowa, but didn't a scholarship open up ( Christian Williams ) before he enrolled and was on scholarship from day one. Then during fall practice, he tried to take a charge while Cook went to the basket for a dunk and sustained a broken rib that caused him to take a red shirt in his freshman year. That's how I remember it going down.

I posted what follows on Thursday; you must have missed it. ;) And, no, the broken rib was not what made him take the redshirt year; redshirting was the plan from the beginning.

CJ committed to Iowa on Aug 5, 2017 without a scholarship.

In late October, 2017
, Fran offered CJ a scholarship after the departure of Christian Williams.

CJ then graduated from high school in 2018. This upcoming season will be his 7th year in college.

CJ sat out the 2018-2019 season as a redshirt but mostly so he could work on his game and get bigger/stronger. But he wasn’t immune from injuries then, breaking a rib when he drew a charge from forward Tyler Cook in practice.

Why did he redshirt? From the linked hawkeyesports.com story below: When Fredrick arrived in Iowa City, he wasn’t ready physically. When he got to campus, he weighed 170 pounds. Heading into the 2019-20 season, Fredrick has added 25 pounds to his 6-foot-3 frame. “My body wasn’t ready last year,” he said. “I gained weight and got more athletic.”

Maybe I'm forgetting someone but the last walk-on I remember making any kind of difference was Todd Berkenpass.
Todd Berkenpas was certainly never a walk on. At the time I believe he was the state of Iowa's all time leading score and was offered by multiple schools including Duke. There was even an article in Sports Illustrated about his recruitement (Really about Duke getting it rolling as a power) and he said if Duke was in Iowa he would have gone to Duke.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT