ADVERTISEMENT

VOTE: Does Iowa MBB have an NCAA Tournament Roster?

Does Iowa MBB have an NCAA Tournament Roster?

• Yes!

• No :(

Results are only viewable after voting.
I voted "No".

Until we can get athletic guards that have the ability to get to the rim and/or create their own shots, we're going to be the same team we've been for the last 10 years. Borderline NCAA tourney team that gets blown up once the tourney starts.

I'll play devils advocate, Thelwell will not beat out Harding for the starting point guard. Thelwell will back up both Brock and Josh Dix and still play more then 20 minutes a game. Brock is better in all facets of the game except he's 3 inches shorter, not that big a deal in my world. No one is wrong until the season starts and everyone could be right. The season can't start soon enough!
Not sure it matters who starts at PG, because I also think they will both play more than 20 min/game. Mostly, need the guards to all stay healthy, especially Dix.

I voted "No".

Until we can get athletic guards that have the ability to get to the rim and/or create their own shots, we're going to be the same team we've been for the last 10 years. Borderline NCAA tourney team that gets blown up once the tourney starts.
It’s always hilarious when casuals like you bitch about things that have already been addressed.

I think the biggest difference between last year's team and this year's team is going to be rebounding and interior defense. Both should be greatly improved with Dembele, Traore, and maybe a freshman playing Patrick and Krikke's minutes. I expect Freeman to be stronger and better at both too.

This team is much better balanced both offense/defense and interior/mid-range/outside scoring than any team I can remember under Fran. Just need to stay healthy.

I think the biggest difference between last year's team and this year's team is going to be rebounding and interior defense. Both should be greatly improved with Dembele, Traore, and maybe a freshman playing Patrick and Krikke's minutes. I expect Freeman to be stronger and better at both too.

This team is much better balanced both offense/defense and interior/mid-range/outside scoring than any team I can remember under Fran. Just need to stay healthy.
My thoughts exactly. I voted yes.

Reactions: HoustonREDHawk
It’s always hilarious when casuals like you bitch about things that have already been addressed.
Dude, I’ve been around since before the days of MulvaSpills. Just because I don’t post 50 times a day doesn’t make me a “casual”. And 1 mildly athletic guard doesn’t mean a whole lot when even the mid major teams are more athletic than us.

But nice try.

I'm being catiously optimistic. ;)
TR-uGT2WrfVTNx6nhYcysg_U075yS8e0ouvBYu9KVW8KzycR2-KHl2ze5sy_Li5g900PCqWc7l1Idc6hK2RlF3O14RTMCSlAA1yz6pfbk7c3UrFK78KYcsKghch3UXzNjkXUAlSWK1_MS5NcFqcxH3rf_4IMQGc

On April 10th Andy Katz had us 17th in the B1G.

On May 30th, with Payton returning, he still has us at 17th in the B1G.

Wow. That means we don't even qualify for the B1G Tournament.

On April 10th Andy Katz had us 17th in the B1G.

On May 30th, with Payton returning, he still has us at 17th in the B1G.

Wow. That means we don't even qualify for the B1G Tournament.

Years ago, I actually valued what Andy Katz said. Now, despite having access to a lot of information, I think his opinion is close to meaningless. I hate it when he is assigned to a game. This has been my opinion for a few years.

An analyst, who I would listen to, is Jay Bilas. He actually understands basketball, and isn't just trying to be provocative in his analyses.

Years ago, I actually valued what Andy Katz said. Now, despite having access to a lot of information, I think his opinion is close to meaningless. I hate it when he is assigned to a game. This has been my opinion for a few years.

An analyst, who I would listen to, is Jay Bilas. He actually understands basketball, and isn't just trying to be provocative in his analyses.

yeah, I liked Katz when we was with ESPN years ago....

This is such a data driven world that it's about time statistics were kept on analyst predictions.

I agree and do not listen to the guy

Reactions: Franisdaman
Dude, I’ve been around since before the days of MulvaSpills. Just because I don’t post 50 times a day doesn’t make me a “casual”. And 1 mildly athletic guard doesn’t mean a whole lot when even the mid major teams are more athletic than us.

But nice try.
That guy is a fuggin moron.

I like Brock but I don't think Thelwell came in to sit behind a sophomore. Thelwell won 91 games, more games than anyone in Morehead State history. I believe he starts with Brock getting a lot of minutes.

I think that's a pretty good starting 5
I agree, but think Brock will get almost as many minutes at PG as Thelwell, who might slide to the 2 some. I consider the starting 4 to be a toss up between Traore and Dembele. If Dembele has to cover most of the back up minutes for Freeman at 5, I think Traore will start, and Dembele will split time between 4 and 5.

Reactions: icwesthawk
I'll play devils advocate, Thelwell will not beat out Harding for the starting point guard. Thelwell will back up both Brock and Josh Dix and still play more then 20 minutes a game. Brock is better in all facets of the game except he's 3 inches shorter, not that big a deal in my world. No one is wrong until the season starts and everyone could be right. The season can't start soon enough!
I’ll vote “yes”; however, I’m looking forward to Hawkeye football season first!

I agree, but think Brock will get almost as many minutes at PG as Thelwell, who might slide to the 2 some. I consider the starting 4 to be a toss up between Traore and Dembele. If Dembele has to cover most of the back up minutes for Freeman at 5, I think Traore will start, and Dembele will split time between 4 and 5.
I think we'll be surprised with the amount of minutes Thelwell will get at the 2. I can see him slide in that role with Brock on the court.

Traore is a much better scorer/shooter than Ladji and probably poach a lot of minutes at the 4 leaving Ladji to play the 5 behind Freeman.

Unless Fran has decided that defense is part of the game and he gets rid of that silly-ass press he uses that average teams blow by; it is very questionable. We will probably be ranked very high in scoring as usual, and continue to lose to equally talented teams.

Reactions: BrewHawk
You need a third option of no opinion. I just have no idea. They do not seem to but men's college basketball isn't all that great right now, so who knows.
If no injuries in the guard court, they’ve got a shot. Not enough depth or enough defensive prowess to handle any losses there..

I don't think it's impossible, just highly unlikely.

Without Payton returning I had them 10-14 range, but now I'd place them in the 7-11 range.
I voted "No" before Payton said he was coming back. I saw him carry the team to victory on numerous occasions this past season. I think we will be better defensively. A lot of if's around this team. I think Fran will coach better without the distraction of his boys on the team. The BIG will be tougher, travel to the West a killer but it will also be really hard for the West schools coming east, especially in January and February.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Needs another reliable guard for defense. Do like this team make up better than last years though.

Decent pickups in spring. Losing Perkins who could compete with good athletes is big loss, even if he did tail off last season at end. Getting to NCAA tourney hasn't been the problem. Limited upside is the problem. ISU had a better team last year than Fran has ever put together and they were only sweet 16. We're never going to have a defense like ISU did and our offense gets shut down by elite teams.

Decent pickups in spring. Losing Perkins who could compete with good athletes is big loss, even if he did tail off last season at end. Getting to NCAA tourney hasn't been the problem. Limited upside is the problem. ISU had a better team last year than Fran has ever put together and they were only sweet 16. We're never going to have a defense like ISU did and our offense gets shut down by elite teams.
Spot on. As for losing Perkins. It’s clear he was no longer happy at Iowa. So time for everyone to move on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT