ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa adds Nevada to 2022 football schedule

You wouldn't see anything attention grabbing even if iowa state wasnt on the schedule

I disagree. The Iowa schedule is hamstrung by the Big Ten's nine-game schedule and playing the clowns every year, which our AD has said is not going away.

I personally favor the nine-game schedule. Play as many Big Ten teams as possible. It's good for the fans and is more likely to produce the most deserving teams in the conference championship game.

Iowa rakes in the big money from the Big Ten's TV contract. It really doesn't matter who we play. The seven home games are for the business community in the Iowa City-Cedar Rapids corridor. For the fans too, another home game. Plus the football team doesn't have to travel, same home environment. Gary Barta is smarter than many on here think.

You want to play Notre Dame? Or even Pitt or Arizona or Syracuse? You had better do something about that annual game with Iowa State.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlickShagwell
You wouldn't see anything attention grabbing even if iowa state wasnt on the schedule

Well, it would take away the "Iowa State creates obstacles with our scheduling" as the excuse for why they don't try. I doubt the game would be replaced with Alabama, but I can guarantee it would be a Power 5 team that they would be playing.

When Iowa had 4 non conference games during KF era they played Kansas St, Nebraska, Arizona, ASU, Pitt 4x, Syracuse and had Mizzou on there before they back out which ended up being 2 years when they were nationally ranked and one year in 07' top 5. Sure some could argue they aren't all attention grabbing but just like how some years Iowa can be a top 20 team so can many of these teams like in 03' when we had a top 20 matchup with ASU. But for majority of the years when Iowa had 4 non conference plan was schedule ISU and one other power 5. Ironically 2 years in 12' and 13' they didn't they ended up with NIU who ended up ranked both years.

Thing is lot of these games are scheduled 7-8 years in advance and minus the Alabama and Ohio States of college football who knows how good that team will be. Point in case Nebraska played Oregon in 16' and 17' and in those 2 years one year Oregon didn't make a bowl game and had the same overall record as Iowa St. those years combined. It's a crap shoot for the most part on how good some of those teams will be when that season rolls around.

Last edited:
FCS opponents are only allowed on the years the team only has 4 conference home games. I'd probably rather see a MAC, WAC, Mountain West, Conf USA type team but they are looking for home games too.

I'm ok with Mountain West teams but that should be about as low as we go. I'm totally against FCS teams along with Sun Belt, C-USA and MAC schools not named NIU.

Hey excuse-makers, we don’t need to settle for MWC teams. We need an AD with the balls to put a two year hiatus on the cy-hawk series so a real P5 team can be scheduled. Or at least give up the seventh home game once in order to set up a nationally relevant neutral site game.

Thats what an alpha AD would do.

giphy.gif

Birky - Pay no mind to this new ISU troll. He is so smart that on the wrestling forum he ripped me for going to CF to get info. on new 2 ISU recruits that nobody had really heard of. I didn’t post there as I never have or would but simply wanted some more info on their recruits since none was on our forum or anywhere else since they would not be what you would call blue chippers (or any chippers for that matter). He rips me for going there for info as “sad” as he is POSTING on an Iowa board as an ISU troll. The guy is what makes ISU, well ISU.

Birky - Pay no mind to this new ISU troll. He is so smart that on the wrestling forum he ripped me for going to CF to get info. on new 2 ISU recruits that nobody had really heard of. I didn’t post there as I never have or would but simply wanted some more info on their recruits since none was on our forum or anywhere else since they would not be what you would call blue chippers (or any chippers for that matter). He rips me for going there for info as “sad” as he is POSTING on an Iowa board as an ISU troll. The guy is what makes ISU, well ISU.
Ripped you? Lol, all i said is how sad it is that you frequent the Iowa state board. Which I've never been on.

Fair enough LOL. So sad I went to a board to find out about recruits mentioned here but yet you actually come here now religiously and post? I mean WTf does that make u?!

Frosty - I have posted this before on the Iowa-ND deal. In short, Iowa and ND talked. Not home and home. 2 games in Chicago. Both night games. 1 Year ND is “home team” and on NBC the other year Iowa home team and on ABC. With it central located and the number of alum and fans in Chicago both schools wanted it to happen. Barta asked Pollard for a 2 year hiatus related to the need for home games in face of a 9 game conference schedule which was turned down. Pollard threatened litigation and Barta (smartly) relented. I say smartly as the negative press over litigation would not have been good for the State. So ND moved onto Wisconsin. ISU idiots will say not true ND would never want Iowa. BS. Jealous little brother talk. The problem is as has been proven over and over and over, ISU needs Iowa and cannot get another P5 school. Their last home and home without someone named Iowa was Minny in the 90’s. I don’t blame Pollard as he knows ISU’s relevance is based on Iowa and meds Iowa. Jesus didn’t ISU just have a home and home with Akron?! That is what happened with ND. End of story. I have even divulged basically who in DM tried to make it happen.

I disagree that Barta was smart to relent and gave into Pollard. A big time series in Chicago against Notre Dame would have provided the perfect cover to finally break the ISU series. ISU and Pollard would have looked pretty bad, very much the little brother, for suing Iowa over that. It was the perfect opportunity for Barta to finally end the Cy-Hawk game and get rid of the ISU albatross and he let it slip away. Not only blew that deal, but handed it over to Wisconsin, the stinking Badgers. Unbelievable how inept Barta is.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
SoDak - I guess I see both sides. I am not a Barta fan at all. That said, we know they are little brother. Well everyone does. But look at the percentages. Hell half or more of the Hawk fans want the game. And every Clone NEEDS the game. They can’t get another P5 school for a home and home and lack any relevance without us. Period. They are better now under Campbell but still a joke outside of Iowa. I don’t like Barta but he is still a politician to a degree had a lot of bad press at the time this was going down. Trust me, I hate the ISU game but to a degree see where Barta was coming from. ISU is the little bitchy albatross that keeps giving. Hopefully now when we beat them we won’t drop in the rankings like years past. Still can’t get over how other teams beat a directional school early in the year and rise in the rankings and we beat a P5 in-state rival and drop. Well I guess I know the answer

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Remember our non-conf schedule in 1992?
Iowa had the toughest schedule in the nation that year.

Non-Conf Schedule 1992
August 29 8:00 PM vs. NC State
September 5 7:00 PM No. 1 Miami, FL
September 12 11:30 AM Iowa State
September 26 2:30 PM at No. 10 Colorado

Will never see Iowa or any other team have a non conference schedule like this anytime soon. I think NC St was the old Pigskin Kickoff Classic game. Also like how it was an odd 1130 kickoff time for ISU game.

Depends on your perspective, I guess.
You certainly share Barta's perspective.
Maybe whether Iowa schedules Nevada or NIU or W. Michigan doesn't matter, but the fact that Iowa seems stuck in non-conference purgatory for eternity matters quite a bit to a lot of fans. (I like dramatic exaggerations....)
Nah. I 100% give fewer f***s about our non-conference schedule than Barta.

Btw, before we go further, would I love to see Iowa play Notre Dame in any kind of non-conference game? Absolutely. Do I care that it will probably never happen? Of course not. Why should I?

This is one of those things, and it's rare that we can say this about Iowa fans :eek:, that our fans are wrong about.........

Yes, I know. We're not wrong often, if ever, but this one is our Charlie Brown football moment.

I don't give a f*** if you people want a more entertaining opponent to go spend your "hard-earned-my-ass" money to watch, as I can only assume that's why people are upset with Iowa's non-conference schedule.

And I assume that, because surely it has to be about you, the fans, and not that you're thinking in Iowa's best interest.

Because if you were, then why is it necessary for Iowa, in the sake of their best interest, to schedule other P5 opponents in our non-conference?.........................It's not.

Because it doesn't matter.

You're welcome. $4.95 plus shipping and handling for all life lessons.

Btw, before we go further, would I love to see Iowa play Notre Dame in any kind of non-conference game? Absolutely. Do I care that it will probably never happen? Of course not. Why should I?

This is one of those things, and it's rare that we can say this about Iowa fans :eek:, that our fans are wrong about.........

Yes, I know. We're not wrong often, if ever, but this one is our Charlie Brown football moment.

I don't give a f*** if you people want a more entertaining opponent to go spend your "hard-earned-my-ass" money to watch, as I can only assume that's why people are upset with Iowa's non-conference schedule.

And I assume that, because surely it has to be about you, the fans, and not that you're thinking in Iowa's best interest.

Because if you were, then why is it necessary for Iowa, in the sake of their best interest, to schedule other P5 opponents in our non-conference?.........................It's not.

Evil --> R*E*L*A*X
No need to get worked up.

That's part of the reason...but only part of it.
No, that's all it is. If we don't lose to those teams, Iowa isn't looked at as that program that's the annoying neighbor outside banging on the door.

It has nothing to do with how weak our schedule is. In fact, as you probably know, it has more to do with people's misperceptions of Iowa and assuming before knowing.

Evil - that isn’t necessarily true. The fake ID started with Cowherd during our undefeated season. And then he raised it again after the Stanford game and then when we added Middle Tennessee St. I realize people may dump in is when we lose to Northwestern or whomever but the fake ID actually started during an undefeated season.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Evil - that isn’t necessarily true. The fake ID started with Cowherd during our undefeated season. And then he raised it again after the Stanford game and then when we added Middle Tennessee St. I realize people may dump in is when we lose to Northwestern or whomever but the fake ID actually started during an undefeated season.
This. The fake ID crap started entirely from Cowherd talking out of his ass trying to generate clicks, and Iowa fans were all to happy to oblige.

Most of that reply was incomprehensible, but you seem happy with Iowa's schedule, so cool.

And I agree Iowa gets crap for its division but many times it is undeserved with the West division. If u look at the West Bowl results they are pretty good. We sometimes fall into the trap ourselves cause like last year we should have won it. The problem is the East has the marquee names with OSU, Mich and PSU and Nebraska has been down. The west will never have the cache of the East but if Nebbie gets semi-back and Iowa and Wisconsin are solid with the occasional Northwestern and Minny then it will be more even. But I was mainly talking about the fake ID. Cowherd wanted clicks and we were an easy target our undefeated year especially after the Rose Bowl.

As long as Michigan, OSU, and PSU reside in the opposite division the West will always be perceived as the weak side, no matter the results, no matter if true or not. That is one reason why Iowa needs to schedule at least one OOC opponent with some juice, and ISU will never be that juice.

Even those couple of years a while back when ISU was ranked in the teens the talking heads would talk about ISU and, deep inside, chuckle to themselves that they were actually talking about ISU. Nobody nationally gives ISU any credit even when, frankly, they deserve it, like now . They actually are deserving of being talked about seriously but it doesn't matter because you can't get the stink off that pig.

Amen SoDak. Exactly. And why ISU has to do home and homes with Akron. Everybody outside of Iowa knows playing ISU is a lose-lose even when they are decent like now. Can’t change 100 plus years of being a doormat with a couple 8 win seasons which ISU considers historic. It is our albatross. Why I wanted realignment so bad so we could parachute out with the “need” for a P5 opponent.

Most of that reply was incomprehensible (Only the parts you don't understand....), but you seem happy with Iowa's schedule, so cool.
Good. I'm glad we could hash this out and our fanbase as a whole could come to accept that our schedule isn't something to get upset about.....................:)

Good. I'm glad we could hash this out and our fanbase as a whole could come to accept that our schedule isn't something to get upset about.....................:)

We just have a difference in opinion in how we'd like to see the non-conference schedule. For years of following Iowa football I looked forward to the unique non-conference matchup with a BCS/P5-level team that occurred almost every year. Now it looks like it is not happening any time soon (2016-2023 so far; 8 straight seasons and counting). The "but we have to play Iowa State..." argument is old and tired. A very large portion of the fan base would be in favor of at least a short hiatus from that series in order to see a matchup with another P-5 team. The fact that our A.D. has not found a way to get this done, or find another way to get an exciting non-conference game, is a big indicator of his lack of influence in the college football world, IMO.

You can certainly be content with our non-conference schedule; we can agree to disagree, but don't pretend like you speak for the entire fan base.

No, that's all it is. If we don't lose to those teams, Iowa isn't looked at as that program that's the annoying neighbor outside banging on the door.

It has nothing to do with how weak our schedule is. In fact, as you probably know, it has more to do with people's misperceptions of Iowa and assuming before knowing.
Yes, it does...we are regularly criticized for having a non-con of chumps, including our cross-state rival.

We need to get out of our W. Michigan, SDSU, Miami (OH), Ball State, N. Texas comfort zone and take it to a level where we play a legit P5 at least every couple years.

Yes, it does...we are regularly criticized for having a non-con of chumps, including our cross-state rival. (Meh.)

We need to get out of our W. Michigan, SDSU, Miami (OH), Ball State, N. Texas comfort zone and take it to a level where we play a legit P5 at least every couple years.(It's not necessary.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT