ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Baseball - “Everybody knows that there’s only really one reason why we haven’t moved the season back,” Heller said Tuesday.

The CWS is already in June after most school's spring semester has ended. The season has already been shortened by nearly 20 games. Does he want to cut further games or extend the season to well into the summer
Iowa HS baseball ends in July.

College baseball can as well...... :)

This issue was discussed in another thread on June 7 & 8, 2021. Note that Rick Heller has been working on this issue for WELL OVER 3 years now.

This was that discussion:

Moving the season start date into May would be a big step in leveling the field. Can’t understand why the NCAA refuses to change this.

I think there is/was a proposal for starting the season later. Then covid happened and it got tabled for another day. Rick Heller talked about it on somebody's podcast. The problem is getting the ACC and SEC on board and doing what is right for the sport as opposed to what is selfishly in the best interests of your school/conference.

There was a proposal.

I think Sun Belt, C-USA, Big 12 and Pac-12 were also against it

This is absolutely correct.

Unlike football and basketball, I'm not sure that the B1G has any leverage on the issue of moving the start date ahead 30 days. The B1G coaches/ADs can try to claim until they are blue in the face that it is good for the financial wealth of the sport in that "northern" schools can get more butts in the seats if the weather is warmer or that it is better for pitchers' arms and injury prevention to start later in the year . . . but it is pretty clear that one of the main reasons why "northern" schools want a later start is to be able to recruit better and make programs more attractive. There is little to no chance that the schools in the warmer parts of the country are going to go along with that.

EDIT: Bakich from Michigan was one of the leading B1G voices (along with Andersen of Minnesota). If "senior" and well-respected voices from the B1G can't generate momentum to delay the season start date by 30 days, then it is not likely that it will ever happen.

Also . . . I'd love to be a fly on the wall to listen to mid-major conference ADs when commenting upon whether they'd sign off on the B1G's proposal to delay the start of the season. I bet that they are more than happy to have a sport where they actually have some type of recruiting/competitive advantage.

That thread:

For reasons completely unrelated to this issue, I had the pleasure of speaking with Coach Heller after the completion of last season when "portal players" were a hot topic. Our discussion evolved into topics such as RPI, the AD while he was at UNI (currently AD at Tulane), Anthony, Williams and Mazur's draft prospects and . . . scheduling. I can confirm that my surmise in the 3rd paragraph below was spot on.

If you want an idea of how the "smaller" conferences view the B1G's complaints about "fairness" in schedules, simply take a look at the number of B1G teams projected to be in NCAA mens basketball conference and the $$$ being shelled out to B1G schools for TV rights and bowl games . . . it will be a cold day in hell before the northern schools can push through meaningful scheduling changes and unless and until the B1G can get a representative on NCAA Regional Committee, we can expect for there to be more situations like last year when a 44 win Rutgers team was on the couch watching NCAA Regional Baseball tournaments.

AuroraHawk said:
This is absolutely correct.

Unlike football and basketball, I'm not sure that the B1G has any leverage on the issue of moving the start date ahead 30 days. The B1G coaches/ADs can try to claim until they are blue in the face that it is good for the financial wealth of the sport in that "northern" schools can get more butts in the seats if the weather is warmer or that it is better for pitchers' arms and injury prevention to start later in the year . . . but it is pretty clear that one of the main reasons why "northern" schools want a later start is to be able to recruit better and make programs more attractive. There is little to no chance that the schools in the warmer parts of the country are going to go along with that.

EDIT: Bakich from Michigan was one of the leading B1G voices (along with Andersen of Minnesota). If "senior" and well-respected voices from the B1G can't generate momentum to delay the season start date by 30 days, then it is not likely that it will ever happen.

Also . . . I'd love to be a fly on the wall to listen to mid-major conference ADs when commenting upon whether they'd sign off on the B1G's proposal to delay the start of the season. I bet that they are more than happy to have a sport where they actually have some type of recruiting/competitive advantage.

I wish the Big Ten would break away from the NCAA in baseball. Form a wooden bats league playing April through June with a huge Big Ten tournament in July. It would be great for the BTN and they might pick up a few extra recruits from players wanting to prep for professional baseball by playing in a wooden bat league. If the Big Ten expands a couple more schools from the west they could even have regionals and then their own CWS.

Reactions: obfuscating
I wish the Big Ten would break away from the NCAA in baseball. Form a wooden bats league playing April through June with a huge Big Ten tournament in July. It would be great for the BTN and they might pick up a few extra recruits from players wanting to prep for professional baseball by playing in a wooden bat league. If the Big Ten expands a couple more schools from the west they could even have regionals and then their own CWS.
There are more opportunities to play in wood bat summer leagues than ever before. It would be a huge negative for the conference.

Reactions: concretehawk20
I think I've heard him advocate for a 3 week push back of everything.
Pro's go from Spring into late Fall. No Reason why the season cannot be pushed back 3-4wks.

I guess it is like having bowl games outdoors in December\January, have Kinnick host the NC game between GA and USC, see how well those guys play in -10 weather.

Reactions: thewop
That needs to happen in more than just baseball. NIL and legalized gambling will kill D1 football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT