ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Baseball Vs Western Illinois

According to Accuweather there is a 68% chance of rain tomorrow in Iowa City. Fingers crossed!

A win at NW, technically a neutral site game, would be a nice little bump in the RPI. They have a higher RPI than tOSU.

Jesus...

Win vs W Illinois and lose five points rpi
Lose and you lose 76 points

You really have to ask why even play these guys. We are at a point under Heller where we are borderline at large every year it seems and this game does nothing to help.

I'm guessing that there is a strong likelihood of rain in Chicago on Wednesday. Tuesday's rain in Iowa City is Wednesday's rain in Chicago. Heller wants a mid-week game to keep the bats "fresh." Instead of two rainouts, there is only one.

I would have rather seen NW come to IC though.

EDIT: Upon further thought, I think that the NW/Iowa game had to be at a "neutral" site. It was not going to be played at NW's home field. Thus, I'm not sure that it would have been feasible for NW to travel to IC to play at Banks Field.

Yeah this doesn’t make much sense. Unless Western Illinois has already made the trip an Iowa was being nice. But it definitely seems dumb.

Reactions: WestIAHawk
Well I guess if we’re hell bent on facing Western Illinois then we better win.

I absolutely believe that one midweek game should not be this important, but the facts are you win and lose RPI points. You lose and you can probably kiss an at large spot goodbye.

Personally I don’t feel a win should cost you to lose RPI points. You want to give us 0 points then ok. On the flip side I don’t believe a loss should essentially drop you enough where even if you win out you may not gain enough ground for an at large.

I really hate advocating for not playing a game, but with how the RPI system is if the weather gives you an out then take it. If you had to play a game then play Northwestern. I see they are playing Illinois StAte tomorrow now?

Reactions: BigOHawk
Today’s revelation of last five in and first four out obviously makes today a must win. If we lose I’d say we have to win out in the regular season.

Serious question, does Brownlee have some type of hard on for Iowa? I know he was an assistant under Dahm, so was his dad. Then Dahm got fired. Brownlee had went to WIU one year prior.

Throwing your Friday guy in a midweek game? Not common at all.

WIU Up 3-1 with three complete. I am always worried about this especially since midweek games are a crap shoot. Unfortunately Iowa has a ton on the line.

Serious question, does Brownlee have some type of hard on for Iowa? I know he was an assistant under Dahm, so was his dad. Then Dahm got fired. Brownlee had went to WIU one year prior.

Don't know for sure, but for whatever reason they play like crazy against Iowa. Win and move on. Loss would have been crippling for Iowa. Time to beat the Anteaters.

Brownlee has a lot of passion. Similar to SDSU throwing Blake Treinen midweek in 2010 tonight, WIU wanted the win.

Reactions: SLarew
Brownlee has a lot of passion. Similar to SDSU throwing Blake Treinen midweek in 2010 tonight, WIU wanted the win.

Two observations:
1. Of course we are going to get WIU’s best. After Arkansas, Iowa is WIU’s highest profile opponent. Iowa is WIU’s only B1G opponent. At this juncture of their season, if they can knock a team out of having a realistic chance at the tournament, that is an accomplishment.
2. We all want Iowa to make the NCAA as an at-large team. Of the 299 teams rated by RPI across the country, WIU is 265. While baseball outcomes are definitely less certain than football or basketball, a tournament-worthy Iowa team should be able to handle WIU - even if WIU throws its best. If Iowa wants to play with the “big boys,” it better be able to handle the “little guys.”

Heller’s doing great things at Iowa but the depth just doesn’t match the elite programs. I’m hopeful that it will get there but close games against lesser competition (think Clarke College) reveals that Iowa still has some ground to gain.

That written, passed the test. Don’t ruminate. Focus on the Anteaters and what is hopefully an electric atmosphere. Looking forward to being in the stands all weekend. Winning 2 of 3 puts Iowa in a very good position heading into the final 7 games.

Two observations:
1. Of course we are going to get WIU’s best. After Arkansas, Iowa is WIU’s highest profile opponent. Iowa is WIU’s only B1G opponent. At this juncture of their season, if they can knock a team out of having a realistic chance at the tournament, that is an accomplishment.
2. We all want Iowa to make the NCAA as an at-large team. Of the 299 teams rated by RPI across the country, WIU is 265. While baseball outcomes are definitely less certain than football or basketball, a tournament-worthy Iowa team should be able to handle WIU - even if WIU throws its best. If Iowa wants to play with the “big boys,” it better be able to handle the “little guys.”

Heller’s doing great things at Iowa but the depth just doesn’t match the elite programs. I’m hopeful that it will get there but close games against lesser competition (think Clarke College) reveals that Iowa still has some ground to gain.

That written, passed the test. Don’t ruminate. Focus on the Anteaters and what is hopefully an electric atmosphere. Looking forward to being in the stands all weekend. Winning 2 of 3 puts Iowa in a very good position heading into the final 7 games.
Win this weekend series! As I wrote earlier, Anteaters have some electric pitching! Maybe the long trip east and playing on the road will favor Iowa a bit, just can't get swept.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Two observations:

Like football, Heller often needs time for his guys to develop. Often Iowa's 1's can hang with many tournament quality teams. Midweek games against lessor opponent are often times for the younger guys to get their feet wet, especially pitching. Midweek games should be discounted when it comes to the RPI. Last night is a perfect example. WIU pitched their 2 best pitchers to try to get a signature win for their season whereas Iowa threw their regular midweek guys. I expect nothing less when we play them again in 2 weeks.

Two observations:

A LOT of teams #1 guy can silence the bats of even elite teams if they get dealing. You see it more than you’d think in regionals when a lowly #4 beats a #1. I am not talking Iowa/Houston a few years ago either. I am talking a true #4 that is not good at all.

Also, I see Irvine fell 11 spots in the RPI by losing a midweek home game to Fullerton. They just took 2/3 on the road from them in conference and got ranked cause of it. This is a big series for them too.

Reactions: whatsup13579er
While we're on this topic, Iowa's run this season is even more spectacular considering the pitching injuries Iowa has dealt with this season. With those guys healthy at a minimum I'd imagine the midweek games would have gone much smoother.

Reactions: AuroraHawk
While we're on this topic, Iowa's run this season is even more spectacular considering the pitching injuries Iowa has dealt with this season. With those guys healthy at a minimum I'd imagine the midweek games would have gone much smoother.
Yep, imagine if Dreyer was in the current pitching lineup...

Reactions: whatsup13579er
Like football, Heller often needs time for his guys to develop. Often Iowa's 1's can hang with many tournament quality teams. Midweek games against lessor opponent are often times for the younger guys to get their feet wet, especially pitching. Midweek games should be discounted when it comes to the RPI. Last night is a perfect example. WIU pitched their 2 best pitchers to try to get a signature win for their season whereas Iowa threw their regular midweek guys. I expect nothing less when we play them again in 2 weeks.

Couldn't agree more. Iowa should be seeing every teams' #1, #2 or #3 for the final 10 games of the year. I'm hoping that the old adage of "that which does not kill us, only makes us stronger" applies.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT