ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa City man sentenced to 35 years for string of burglaries

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
An Iowa City man was sentenced last week to 35 years in prison for a string of burglaries and thefts, starting back in 2021 and continued through January at various businesses in Iowa City.

Joshua Harley Kelley, 40, previously pleaded in Johnson County District Court to six felony charges: ongoing criminal conduct; third-degree burglary; possession of a controlled substance — third or subsequent offense; second-degree theft; first-degree criminal mischief; and offense of alteration of VIN- vehicle identification number. He also pleaded to fourth-degree theft, a serious misdemeanor.

Last Friday, 6th Judicial District Judge Ian Thornhill ran two of the charges consecutively and some concurrently for a total of 35 years.

According to a criminal complaint, Kelley burglarized or stole items in more than one incident from McComas Lacina Construction and multiple times from Pace Properties, Rogers Shoes, Brandt Heating & Air Conditioning, Pyramid Services, Carousel Motors, Billion Auto, Ace Hardware an AM Management.

The combined property loss from the businesses was over $100,000, the complaint stated. During the investigation, police obtained a search warrant for Kelley’s storage unit and found all the stolen property from all the burglaries or thefts, except the van stolen from Billon Auto, which was recovered at a different location, according to the complaint.

According to a search warrant, police used GPS devices on Kelley’s vehicles to track his movements to determine where he was committing the crimes. They also obtained surveillance video from the businesses and other locations. Kelley was known to have a history of committing burglaries in the Iowa City area, police said.

He was charged with burglary by the Johnson County Sheriff’s Office for multiple incidents at Red Dot Storage in 2021, the affidavit stated. Evidence supports Kelley steals and illegally possesses license plates, according to the affidavit.

Kelley, who was unemployed, was selling or trading the stolen property in this case for financial gain and to support himself, according to the complaint.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
They've been after this guy for awhile. Looks like they threw the book at him, but he showed no remorse and continued stealing things long after they were on to him.
Meth will do that to you.

For real...I think that there is a good chance that this cat may have burglared ME a time or two...as my business would fit right into his "profile" and "work zone"...and I have had multiple occasions of theft, either at the shop or a jobsite.

Glad to see a stiff sentence...it is not only costly and frustrating to experience loss by theft, it is also quite bothersome on a personal level. Hopefully this is a deterrent to others.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Guy is a POS but 35 years? Some rapists and killers don’t get that.

35 years of taxpayer expense keeping him locked up. 15-20 seems about right.

Does Iowa have parole? Truth in sentencing?

Guy is a POS but 35 years? Some rapists and killers don’t get that.

35 years of taxpayer expense keeping him locked up. 15-20 seems about right.

Does Iowa have parole? Truth in sentencing?
Not to hijack, but I just read the thread about the developer who has bilked people out of millions of dollars, and his failure to voluntarily report to serve his six-month sentence. The guy in this thread is clearly a grade-A scumbag, but the disproportionality in our justice system is astounding.

Some people have to worry about getting killed by the cops for petty theft, but others can steal millions on paper and the cops will invite them down to the station for an interview.

Reactions: cigaretteman
For real...I think that there is a good chance that this cat may have burglared ME a time or two...as my business would fit right into his "profile" and "work zone"...and I have had multiple occasions of theft, either at the shop or a jobsite.

Glad to see a stiff sentence...it is not only costly and frustrating to experience loss by theft, it is also quite bothersome on a personal level. Hopefully this is a deterrent to others.
As someone who works construction and has a couple major theft incidents affect me, I'm glad to see it as well. The kumbaya non-violent offender crowd will think its harsh, but have your livelihood taken and deal with the aftermath because someone has no regard for the things other people actually worked for. The first time I got cleaned out at a jobsite the cops ended up finding all of my stuff at a pawn shop in a different county. They already had price tagged everything. Its sad, but deserved, how little that guy must have gotten out of an entire truckload of tools that sent him back to prison. He was a thieving meth head out on parole. He went back to prison for a couple years because of it.

Should have honed his trade up in Minnesota! No amount of burglaries will land you in prison there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT