ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa City School Board elections

lucas80

HB King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
So, about ten percent of you will show up to vote? I've actually been looking at a lot of the coverage in the ICPC, and reading what little comes to me in the mail about the candidates. I'm thinking about voting a straight, "Save Hoover", ticket, plus a throw in.
Anyone besides me beginning to feel like the last SILO tax vote was a sham, and the plan was to close productive neighborhood schools in favor of bigger schools? With the opening of the third high school nobody can explain the need for Hoover's space to be taken over by City High.

Hoover is an outdated dump full of lead, asbestos and cockroaches. New schools are an improvement, not something to fight against.

I'm generally pretty committed about voting but I don't have kids, I don't know anything about the candidates or the hot issues so it may be best for me to stay home.

Hoover is an outdated dump full of lead, asbestos and cockroaches. New schools are an improvement, not something to fight against.

Hoover is also in an established neighborhood, which I find valuable/ideal. I don't understand why Hoover cannot be refurbished, and I also don't understand why City High needs the space given the third high school planned in North Liberty.

IC voters were promised money would be spent into refurbishing schools. I don't buy that Hoover is all you say. It's a great neighborhood anchor. Almost all the schools ever mentioned for closing could be rebuilt on the existing property. Refurbish, or rebuild.

Reactions: CarolinaHawkeye
Money was spent on refurbishing schools. Just not Hoover because it wasn't worth it. Lucas Elementary is 1.0 mile away, a 4 minute car ride. Lemme Elementary is 1.1 mile away. Regina is even closer. There are plenty of nearby elementary education options.
That property will still be a 'neighborhood anchor', it will just be City High instead of Hoover.

Money was spent on refurbishing schools. Just not Hoover because it wasn't worth it. Lucas Elementary is 1.0 mile away, a 4 minute car ride. Lemme Elementary is 1.1 mile away. Regina is even closer. There are plenty of nearby elementary education options.
That property will still be a 'neighborhood anchor', it will just be City High instead of Hoover.

Some money has been spent on refurbishing schools (Twain), but not yet on Longfellow, Lucas, and Lemme. The problem with the schools surrounding Hoover is that they are full. Until you get the new elementary school built on the far east side, they will remain full with nothing being done to fix them.

It's 2015, get some freaking air conditioning in these schools.

The new elementary on the east side will be done faster than attempting to refurbish Hoover anyway.

The new elementary on the east side will be done faster than attempting to refurbish Hoover anyway.
Well, when you don't try, sure it's faster to build a new school. There is room enough at Hoover to refurbish and expand with the correct will. Especially since nobody can justify the need for the land.

It'll be interesting to see what percentage of eligible voters showed up. I had a 15 minute wait at 6:30 to get into my polling place.

As promised, I stayed away. I feel like a bad citizen, but I prefer not to vote if I don't know the players

10% turnout. 5 new board members. After a multitude of failed attemps Hemminway got in. Should be interesting to see how things play out. I predict plenty of dysfunction.

I dont know why the district just does not break up, namely North Liberty,

There are a hand full of reasons why this would never happen. The #1 reason being they would need approval from both the ICCSD and CCA school districts to "break off". After putting up 4 elementary schools, a Jr High, an addition to Penn, and constructing a new high school, largely with property tax money coming from outside of North Liberty, ICCSD and CCA would laugh at the idea. Then Hemingway will bitch about the cost of coffee cups used in the Supt. office.

There are a hand full of reasons why this would never happen. The #1 reason being they would need approval from both the ICCSD and CCA school districts to "break off". After putting up 4 elementary schools, a Jr High, an addition to Penn, and constructing a new high school, largely with property tax money coming from outside of North Liberty, ICCSD and CCA would laugh at the idea. Then Hemingway will bitch about the cost of coffee cups used in the Supt. office.

All true, especially the last sentence! :D

The other six will probably resign this morning after digesting they will have to listen to this guy for four years.

Maybe...but you can expect a permanently divided district then.

Ridiculous that north liberty doesn't have it's own school.

Um, they are building one now and it will open in 2017. Ridiculous might be how the district has built 3 elementary schools, a junior high, and now a high school all while letting the Iowa City schools crumble. There are still multiple schools in Iowa City without air conditioning. That's ridiculous.

Um, they are building one now and it will open in 2017. Ridiculous might be how the district has built 3 elementary schools, a junior high, and now a high school all while letting the Iowa City schools crumble. There are still multiple schools in Iowa City without air conditioning. That's ridiculous.

I went to Central....Yes, the original one....Its light years better than what we had then....

Pretty sure they have at least 3 elementary schools and a gleaming, new Jr. High AND a $50+mm HS being built right now. Other than that though, you have a point...they got nothing. Sheesh.
I'm sorry I missed it. What's the school name? Is it north liberty high or what?

I'm sorry I missed it. What's the school name? Is it north liberty high or what?

Oh, and there is at least one Clear Creek Amana elementary in NL now too and it is pretty nice and new. So I don't think the NL residents have been slighted in terms of new or improved public school facilities...not in the least.

Something not making sense. Every article I've read says this school in north liberty is still considered part of the Iowa city school district.

Something not making sense. Every article I've read says this school in north liberty is still considered part of the Iowa city school district.

There is one CCA elementary in north North Liberty, North Bend. There are 3 ICCSD elementary schools in North Liberty, Penn, Garner and Van Allen. And there is an ICCSD Jr High, North Central, in North Liberty and full blown ICCSD HS being built there now, Liberty.

Not all of North Liberty is in the ICCSD, some of it is in the CCA district. But there is no shortage of new schools in that town, shoot, almost all of the schools are relatively new and the only "old" one, Penn, is being remodeled now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT