Name: Cordell Pemsl
High School: Dubuque Wahlert
Position: Forward
Graduation Year: 2016
Height: 6-foot-8
Weight: 215 pounds
Video: Youtube

How is the knee feeling?
"Everything is going good. I am pain free. I have been running and doing a lot of working out. As of now, I've had no setbacks. Everything is pushing in the right direction."

What can you not currently do?
"Right now basically I am not doing lateral stuff. I am staying away from 5-on05 actual competitive games. Other than that I've been doing the basketball workouts and working out with my personal guy. I am building strength in my quad and leg. I go back to Iowa City on the 7th to see the doctor one last time. Hopefully he clears me but even if he doesn't, we are not trying to get back next week. It is almost two months until the first game so we are in no hurry."

Is there any pain associated with the knee?
"Right now, it is basically all mental . I know I have no meniscus damage and it is completely healed. Mentally I tell myself sometimes what is going to happen? I really do not feel anything in the knee when I'm playing. The worst thing is soreness which I'll get now until I am back to the old me at 100%."

Do you feel a difference in the knee now versus last spring before the surgery?
"I feel brand new. I feel it with the way I'm running and with every aspect of my game when we are practicing. I feel new and improved. I feel more athletic and feel that I can do more things now. I feel this is going to be a good season. As a team, I want to be able to contribute and bring us back a third straight championship."

What do your workouts include these days?
"Right now I am basically coming off of screens and shooting jump shots. It is also coming off of the dribble jump shots. It feels great and there is no pain there. I am working on finishing with contact. I just started going through contact a week or two ago and it feels great."

Where does your game feel limited?
"Obviously I am not getting off the floor exactly where I want to right now but I still have a lot of working out to do. I am working get my body back to where it was. It is also my overall quickness."

Did you do anything out of the ordinary to get back so quickly?
"I stuck with the regiment that they gave me. They gave me a lot of stuff at home and I was seeing them frequently. It wasn’t like I was on my own. I stopped rehab a while ago because there was nothing left for me to do. I was basically where they wanted me to be but four to five weeks ahead of schedule."

How has the contact been with the Iowa coaches?
"I took my official visit there a week ago and they have been by my side since surgery in May. They trusted in Dr. Wolf to do the surgery. They knew nothing but a positive outcome would come from this."

How was your official visit?
"It was fun. We spent a lot of time touring the academic part of the campus. We had ad lot of time with the coaching staff. It really is big family. We got to go to the football game. Overall it was a really good weekend for my mom and I."

What did you see with your of your AAU teammates committing to Iowa?
"It didn’t really surprise me because I knew both are capable of playing high Division I basketball. I am excited to know I'll be teammates with them for the next four years and that we already have that chemistry. With Ryan (Kriener), we only played together part of this (AAU) season but I've played with Jordan (Bohannon) since my freshman year. We know each other very well. It is definitely a big thing for us to be able to play college basketball together."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News