ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Democrats call for oversight hearings into sports betting investigation

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Amid questions of possible misconduct by investigators looking into alleged sports wagering by student athletes, Iowa Democrats at the statehouse are calling for oversight hearings, but don’t think they’ll get them.

MORE: DCI agent claims he was misled about target of gambling investigation

Attorneys for some of the student athletes charged accuse the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation of placing geofences without a warrant around dorms and athletic facilities at Iowa and ISU campuses. In court filings, an attorney for former Cyclones Defensive Lineman Isaiah Lee, says a DCI agent was told to stop his investigation, but did not.

At Iowa Democrats’ weekly press conference Thursday, House Minority Leader Jennifer Konfrst says she wants answers.

“We have some real questions about how people are performing their work, and if someone went against what their bosses said in an organization, we want to look at the leadership of that organization and see why that was allowed and why it was possible,” Konfrst said.

Senate Minority Leader Pam Jochum says she too wants more answers from DCI, but doesn’t think Senate President Amy Sinclair, who chairs the Government Oversight Committee, will join her in that.

“I would say that that would be a good issue for the Oversight Committee. Unfortunately, the chairwoman of that committee just has no desire to hold a meeting,” Jochum said.

MORE: Attorney for student-athletes claims ‘warrantless search’ led to sports gambling charges

Republican State Senator Dan Dawson of Council Bluffs, who is a DCI Special Agent, says instead of putting DCI down, lawmakers should instead take a look at the state’s gambling laws.

“It’s easy to play into politics here, but every law that we pass around here, we charge some executive agency to actually come around and try and enforce it to the best of our intent. If we don’t like the outcome of the laws, then go back and revisit the laws,” Dawson said.

Just like there was for the Jan 6 house investigation, Oh shit……… disregard.
No, half of the Republicans were neck deep in that so of course they were going to do everything in their power to stop it. I was unaware that the Iowa Republicans would be that involved in using illegal methods to investigate college athletes.

Right. So their representatives didn't stand in the way of justice.

Keanu Reeves Reaction GIF by Bounce

Well if somehow implying that Democrats were more corrupt because that just happened to be where charges were filed wasn't your point, then what was?

My point is simple. If, and I emphasize if, there were legal errors in the investigation, then the offices responsible for accepting the cases for prosecution, should make sure that everything is legal.

My point is simple. If, and I emphasize if, there were legal errors in the investigation, then the offices responsible for accepting the cases for prosecution, should make sure that everything is legal.
Bird is an absolute embarrassing unfit hack. It speaks volumes of Iowa someone as unqualified as her can be elected AG.

What is your point? You can't keep trying to play "I don't have an opinion, let the courts decide"

Some people are turning this into a political attack on the governor and AG, both Rs, while skipping over the entities that were actually involved.

It's part of a prosecutors job to make they're "kosher" before charging.
You're assuming that the DCI guys were completely honest when they presented everything to the county attorneys. Ever consider they just presented the evidence and glossed over the details?

Why not just admit that at this point, there's a crap-ton of smoke that this investigation was not on the level. Saying this should be looked at by an oversight committee should not be remotely controversial.

And while we're at it - maybe Reynolds and Bird should ALSO make sure things are kosher before offering full-throated statements of support of the investigation.

Bird wasn't the one who filed the charges.
Good god, you just love beating that dead horse. Fine, we get it - she didn't file the charges. as the leading law enforcement official in the state she is still the ultimate person in charge and looks particularly foolish for offering full support of this at the outset.

I will be shocked if Kim and the GOP driven legislature bulks at any attempts for full disclosure and oversight!
Just remember how when questioned about the efficiency of privatized MedicAid Kim came up firing the numbers almost before the request was ever made?
You all know Reynolds is all about open and honest government!
No worry here, Iowans…I am sure Kim has Mr. Sand on this one too.

Last edited:
They weren't her cases.
Then 1) she shouldn't have spoken to them; and 2) she's the Attorney General for the State of Iowa - when it comes to law enforcement, the buck stops with her.

Dodging the issue because her office didn't specifically have a role in these cases doesn't absolve her of responsibility. It's ultimately on her to make sure state law enforcement, county/city district attorneys are following the rules.

You seem hell-bent on making sure only the lowest possible people on the totem pole be held responsible.

Neither Johnson or Story County Attorneys wanted anything to do with this. They didn't know the background of the "investigation". They wanted it to go away.

Neither Johnson or Story County Attorneys wanted anything to do with this. They didn't know the background of the "investigation". They wanted it to go away.

Then why did they allow the charges to go forward?

And why in the world would they allow charges to go forward without knowing the background of the investigation?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT