ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Derecho

McLovin32

HB Legend
Feb 1, 2008
Appears to be the most costly thunderstorm event in US history.

Iowa derecho in August was most costly thunderstorm disaster in U.S. history
NOAA estimates damage at $7.5 billion, higher than many hurricanes.

By Bob Henson
Oct. 17, 2020 at 8:04 a.m. CDT
No single thunderstorm event in modern times — not even a tornado — has wrought as much economic devastation as the derecho that slammed the nation’s Corn Belt on Aug. 10, based on analyses from the public and private sectors.

The storm complex, blamed for four deaths, hit Cedar Rapids, Iowa, particularly hard, cutting power to almost the entire city of 133,000 people, and damaging most of its businesses and homes.
In an October update to its database of billion-dollar weather disasters, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration estimated damages from the August derecho, which raced from Iowa to Indiana, at $7.5 billion. This includes agricultural impacts that are still being analyzed, so the total may be revised, said Adam Smith, who manages the database.

The derecho’s financial toll exceeds that of nine of this year’s record 10 landfalling U.S. hurricanes and tropical storms. The exception is Hurricane Laura, which struck Louisiana in late August and caused an estimated $14 billion in damage.

Including the derecho, the U.S. has been hit by a record-tying 16 billion-dollar weather disasters this year through September.
A derecho is a fast-moving, violent wind event associated with a thunderstorm complex. One common definition specifies that it must produce “continuous or intermittent” damage along a path at least 60 miles wide and 400 miles long, with frequent gusts of at least 58 mph and several well-separated gusts of at least 75 mph.

The Aug. 10 event more than qualified. Striking with unanticipated ferocity, the derecho brought winds gusting to more than 70 mph for the better part of an hour over a large swath of central and eastern Iowa and northwest Illinois. Numerous locations clocked gusts over 110 mph. The winds laid waste to millions of acres of crops, severely damaged or destroyed hundreds of homes, and brought down many thousands of trees. “One could make a strong case that this is the most destructive individual thunderstorm cluster on record in terms of damage cost,” said Steve Bowen, head of catastrophe insight at the insurance broker Aon, in an email. Aon released an initial damage estimate of $5 billion for the derecho, not yet including agricultural impacts.

Hourly composite of radar reflectivity for the thunderstorm complex that produced the Aug. 10 derecho. Shown in Central time. (NWS)
The derecho’s top winds ripped along the south edge of a mesoscale convective vortex, a low-pressure center embedded within the thunderstorm complex. “The vortex was one of the most distinctive ones of that size that I have ever seen,” said Stephen Corfidi, a meteorologist at the University of Oklahoma and derecho expert, in an email.

The peak wind gust observed in the derecho was 126 mph at Atkins, Iowa. The highest estimated gust, based on the partial destruction of an apartment complex in Cedar Rapids, was 140 mph. Gusts that strong are comparable to the peak that one would expect in an EF3 tornado or major hurricane.
Parts of five Iowa counties were struck by wind gusts estimated at 110 to 140 mph.
“To have a Midwest city endure [such] wind speeds, and also see such a devastating impact to a large volume of regional crops, is almost unbelievable,” Bowen said. “I don’t think most of the country truly realizes how severe the event ended up being.”
Iowa is as prone to destructive derechos as Florida is to hurricanes
Derecho winds typically last about 10 to 20 minutes at any one spot. In contrast, the 30- to 60-minute duration of severe gusts in the hardest-hit areas Aug. 10 was much more comparable to the passage of a hurricane eyewall than a tornado, whose winds typically last only a few seconds to a minute or two.
At North Liberty, Iowa, just north of Iowa City, gusts varied from roughly 70 to 98 mph for nearly an hour during the Aug. 10 derecho. (Johnson County Emergency Management Agency via NWS)
An immense toll on trees and crops
In Cedar Rapids alone, more than 1,000 housing units were deemed unlivable in the week after the storm, according to the Gazette. Hundreds of other homes were damaged.
Standard home and business insurance policies should cover much of the wind-related structural damage. Some of the hits to agriculture may fall through the cracks of insurance programs, though. For example, many huge grain-storage units were demolished by the derecho, with an estimated $300 million in structural losses alone. Any grain that can’t be salvaged from these destroyed bins wouldn’t be covered by standard crop insurance, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Debris from a destroyed silo that damaged crops Aug. 10 when it was blown across a field east of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, is shown on Aug. 21. (Rebecca F. Miller/The Gazette via AP)
Iowa state climatologist Justin Glisan highlighted the scope of agricultural impacts in a September webinar. According to initial estimates, more than 3.5 million acres of corn and 2.5 million acres of soybeans were affected in Iowa, or about 20 percent of the state’s total farmland.
AD

Along with the wind itself, crops were thrashed by small hail — pea to penny size — that was propelled “like machine-gun fire,” Glisan said.
“You’d be hard-pressed to draw a more efficient path across the Corn Belt to create a storm that has such a significant impact on agriculture at a sensitive time of the year,” Glisan added.

A cornfield damaged in the derecho is seen on the Rod Pierce farm near Woodward, Iowa, on Aug. 21. (Charlie Neibergall/AP)
The derecho ripped huge holes in the tree canopy above a number of Iowa towns and cities, according to Emma Hanigan, an urban forester with the state’s Department of Natural Resources. At least half of the trees in Cedar Rapids were destroyed or heavily damaged. The toll will only worsen over the coming months, as the wounds left by torn limbs allow pests and pathogens such as oak wilt to infect damaged trees.
“It takes so long to regain that tree cover,” said Hannigan in an interview. “We’re going to see impacts 30 years from now from this storm.”

How derechos got their name

Unlike the cyclonic winds that wrap around and up into a tornado, a derecho’s winds descend and spread outward, typically pushed by a powerful jet stream that feeds into the back of a thunderstorm complex.
Iowa and neighboring states are especially prone to derechos. The term derecho (deh-REY-cho), which can mean “straight ahead” in Spanish, was first applied to these events in 1888 by Gustavus Hinrichs, a professor at the University of Iowa and the state’s first climatologist.
The term languished until it was revived in the 1980s by Robert Johns, now retired from the National Weather Service Storm Prediction Center.
Several derechos strike the United States in a typical year. The first to gain widespread public attention by that label tore from Illinois to the Mid-Atlantic on June 29, 2012. Packing gusts as high as 91 mph near Fort Wayne, Ind., and 79 mph at Reston, Va., the derecho and related severe weather inflicted $3.3 billion in damage (in 2020 dollars) and led to at least 42 direct and indirect deaths, with power knocked out to more than 4 million customers. The Baltimore-Washington area was especially hard hit, with some outages extending for days amid intense summer heat.
Forecasters say last week’s deadly storm complex in New England was a derecho
U.S. derechos typically form along the north edge of a very hot, humid surface air mass with the approach of a strong upper-level impulse. There has been little research on how human-produced climate change might affect derechos, though it’s conceivable that a poleward shift in summer weather patterns might nudge their U.S. distribution northward over time.

Strong winds from the Aug. 10 derecho extended across much of the Corn Belt from far eastern Nebraska to northern Indiana. Tornado and wind data shown here are from preliminary Storm Data reports compiled immediately after the derecho by the National Weather Service Storm Prediction Center. Some areas experienced small hail that was not reflected in Storm Data reports. (USDA Weekly Weather and Crop Bulletin)
Economic hits from the worst weather disasters are increasingly outpacing weaker events
The high cost of this year’s Midwest derecho is in line with a trend toward the highest-end global weather disasters becoming even more costly at a disproportionate pace, especially in midlatitudes. This phenomenon was analyzed in a 2019 paper in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

“We have a whole distribution of damages that we usually average to determine economic impacts … but it is the extreme events that cause the damages that are most difficult to deal with,” said co-author Francesca Chiaromonte, a professor of statistics at Pennsylvania State University, in a news release.
The authors reported an increasing trend in extreme damages from natural disasters that is generally consistent with a climate change signal.
“Increases in aggregated or mean damages have been modest,” they said, “but evidence for a rightward skewing and tail fattening of the distributions is statistically significant and robust — with most pronounced increases in the largest percentiles (e.g., 95% and 99%), i.e., the catastrophic events.”

It took a big shit on my house. And what seems like everyone else’s here in CR. That is all. The derecho has left the building.

While my family took horrible damage I don't really think we want to compare to actual hurricanes. A good portion of that number is crop damage.

Every time so start to make that comparison I remember we don't have flooding and mold that comes with the flooding and storm surge accompanying hurricanes. I can't imagine combing our flood of 2008 with Derecho level winds and damage.

While my family took horrible damage I don't really think we want to compare to actual hurricanes. A good portion of that number is crop damage.

Every time so start to make that comparison I remember we don't have flooding and mold that comes with the flooding and storm surge accompanying hurricanes. I can't imagine combing our flood of 2008 with Derecho level winds and damage.
Our buildings also aren’t built to withstand hurricane force winds. Just something else to think about.

So crops in the Midwest aren’t important?

I'm still sitting here with half a roof, a ton of structural damage underneath it, and multiple gutted rooms while the insurance company does not much of anything. Winter is going to be a nightmare.

My family suffered large, but yet to be fully determined loss in that storm. I know of at least two guys who are throwing in the towel as a result. Most will soldier on, but it was a bad break for many. I think several outfits in this area will need a decade to recover.

Its effects are still occurring in my general neighborhood yet today.

The din of chain saws and stump grinders is a near daily occurrence this summer. I talked to one of the crews a couple weeks ago. They were removing a tree across the street. They said the stresses the storm caused to trees all over eastern Iowa have caused a wave of trees dying the last 12 or so months.

You drive around the SW side of CR and you'll see dead full sized, intact trees that weren't taken down directly by the storm pretty much everywhere.

I'm looking out my window now, and I can see roughly 10 dead trees...out ONE window, maybe a block or two's viewing distance tops.

Our buildings also aren’t built to withstand hurricane force winds. Just something else to think about.
Our trees aren't built to withstand hurricanes either. Massive crowns on Oaks, Hickory, Elms, Cottonwoods, etc. Wispy palm trees bend and spring back, while our trees break or the roots are leveraged out of the ground. City should be planting Coconuts in the medians instead of more Oaks... ;)

Its effects are still occurring in my general neighborhood yet today.

The din of chain saws and stump grinders is a near daily occurrence this summer. I talked to one of the crews a couple weeks ago. They were removing a tree across the street. They said the stresses the storm caused to trees all over eastern Iowa have caused a wave of trees dying the last 12 or so months.

You drive around the SW side of CR and you'll see dead full sized, intact trees that weren't taken down directly by the storm pretty much everywhere.

I'm looking out my window now, and I can see roughly 10 dead trees...out ONE window, maybe a block or two's viewing distance tops.
Emerald Ash Borer has also been rampant.

Reactions: 2bagger22
Emerald Ash Borer has also been rampant.

I asked the crew that, and the foreman said they're destroying all the ash trees as a precaution. They did say as they're taking down the trees, one thing they're noticing is trees galore are showing (I can't remember the exact term) "internal splitting" of the trunks - like the trees fractured but didn't fully come apart. So one could look at them post-derecho and externally they looked like they were good to go.

Where I live, the main trees present are box elders, which aren't the strongest trees you'll ever see. I know post-derecho, my back yard, most of the trees that came down were those. They have this reddish staining to the wood that is quite pretty, but the trees really aren't all that useful.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
I asked the crew that, and the foreman said they're destroying all the ash trees as a precaution. They did say as they're taking down the trees, one thing they're noticing is trees galore are showing (I can't remember the exact term) "internal splitting" of the trunks - like the trees fractured but didn't fully come apart. So one could look at them post-derecho and externally they looked like they were good to go.

Where I live, the main trees present are box elders, which aren't the strongest trees you'll ever see. I know post-derecho, my back yard, most of the trees that came down were those. They have this reddish staining to the wood that is quite pretty, but the trees really aren't all that useful.
Ugh. It’s going to take a long, looooooonnnnnggg time to recover.I had a 150+ year old burr oak come down in the storm, and another one that now this year has about 15% leaf cover and is clearly on the way out. I planted a shingle oak and a linden as a long term replacement plan, but keeping those alive has been difficult between our desert climate and effing deer eating the leaves off the linden in May.

Compounding it is 4 consecutive years of very dry growing seasons, three mild winters, and the result is an environment that is hurting badly. Lawns and landscapes are burning up.

Or months of no electricity

Still have a healthy supply of firewood. Just in case I start hosting nightly bonfires like I’m a teenager again

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT