ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa DNR: Illinois man died after being shot in face by fellow hunter in Iowa

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
An Illinois hunter has died after being shot in the face by someone in his hunting party, an official with the Iowa Department of Natural Resources said Saturday.

The department said in a written statement that its law enforcement arm is investigating the shooting death of Seth Egelhoff, 26, of Chesterfield, Illinois.

Someone called 911 around 1 p.m. Saturday to report that Egelhoff had been shot while hunting waterfowl in the Bays Branch Wildlife Area, just north of Panora, according to the statement. Emergency medics rushed Egelhoff to a spot to be picked up by a medical helicopter, but he died en route, the department said.

Conservation Officer Jeremy King said the shooting appeared to be accidental. The Guthrie County Sheriff's Office and the Iowa State Patrol are helping in the investigation.

The wildlife area is about 40 miles northwest of Des Moines.

Has anyone questioned the waterfowl? They’re not known to be strong gun safety advocates.

shooting-daffy-duck.gif

Reactions: CarolinaHawkeye
The details on this are shoddy but I've got someone on the inside trying to learn more.

The headline says another hunter did it but I've not seen anything about that from the DNR.

The wife and I were there the day before looking at birds nearby in the protected area. When we went over the bridge Friday there were probably 7 or 8 vehicles parked nearby by people hunting. When you are at the top of the hill overlooking the lake, you can sometimes see the hunters (and fishermen) a few hundred yards away. Sad story.

Shotgun deer season says “hold my beer”.

Those are a couple weekends where doing anything near the woods gets sketchy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT