ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa fans acting like babies

jhoosh43

Rookie
Jun 24, 2024
The behavior of a large number of fans is a liability for the program. Any recruits visiting during a game when Iowa is struggling get an eye-opening look at a bunch of adults acting like a**holes.

Iowa fans like to believe they are "the best fans in college football", but their game day behavior definitely doesn't reflect it.

The behavior of a large number of fans is a liability for the program. Any recruits visiting during a game when Iowa is struggling get an eye-opening look at a bunch of adults acting like a**holes.

Iowa fans like to believe they are "the best fans in college football", but their game day behavior definitely doesn't reflect it.
Take any recruit, list his offers, and I'd be curious to know which other fanbases on the list don't act like Iowa.

Every fanbase believes they are "the best fans in college football", anyone who says otherwise is a liar. Just like a fanbase for anything ever, there are morons and there are decent people. Sports fans are just as bad, if not worse, than fanbases for games, music, etc. The only caveat is that sports fans have terrible memes.

When you hand over hard-earned cheddar in order to support the program, you have the right to boo when dogsh*t is presented.

Captain Kirk doesn't hear the fans any other time. The fans have suffered greatly through all those years of Boy Wonder and the Captain doing nothing.
Nothing? Beating Debbie nine times since they joined the big. Including a 56-14 and a couple of 40-10 games. What's the gopher record the last 8 years?

12-0 regular season in 2015. Stomping Ohio State under Urban was wonderful. Beating five star guys USC 49-24 was awesome. I could go on.

I hear what you are saying OP. Unfortunately, moving to a “semi-pro” environment gets you “semi-pro” fans. Ever witnessed adult fan behavior at an NFL game? In a sober moment, it’s embarrassing to be another adult in the room.

It will continue to change as the overt player pay from the institutions happens, for the better or worse. It is what it is. I don’t care for it, but it doesn’t matter what I think. It’s what many of these kids want, and choices have consequences.

I notice myself changing in how I view it more as a business, especially given the NILs’ requests for contributions and tax-funded institutions moving to pay players. I formerly was resolved to enjoying the young athletes compete. Now, moreover, I want to see results. I fight those feelings every CFB weekend.

Welcome to major college football I guess. If they want to play in the NFL, they'd better get used to it. This is the litmus test.

Reactions: peacehawk
Nothing? Beating Debbie nine times since they joined the big. Including a 56-14 and a couple of 40-10 games. What's the gopher record the last 8 years?

12-0 regular season in 2015. Stomping Ohio State under Urban was wonderful. Beating five star guys USC 49-24 was awesome. I could go on.
Offensively. That is what Boy Wonder coached. The fans have not been booing the defense and special teams.

Fans have always whined.

The game has changed. Bowl games no longer matter, yet we have a coach that still acts like it’s 1985

With the expansion of conferences, NIL, and playoffs, a team like Iowa has to adapt.

We aren’t seeing that. Nothing we can do but hope KF retires soon

Reactions: HawkBall23

If you are talking about part of the crowd booing any players then I agree that is crappy behavior. I have gone to 2 hundred plus games there and watched that many on tv I suppose and have never booed a hawk player or even thought about doing it. They are young men trying to do very difficult physical and mental things while opponents are physically engaged with them.

No reason to boo. Fans can boo the head coach as he is getting paid a ton.

I get a bit upset by players and coaches at times for their decisions and actions but most of us do. Booing should be a no no.

Are you saying there was groaning or booing?

Right!, 12-0 9 fricking years ago, Ohio State, 7 years ago, USC, 5 years ago. Where has the "awesome" been since then?

Ever been to the state of Florida?

Reactions: sellarsd
Yeah.

People are people, and people have been people like 100,000 years.
No way!! They are way worse today. Well, except for that whole feeding people to the lions thing and various genocides. Those were kinda bad. I guess you're right. People have always sucked.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf

Miami currently sits at #10 in recruiting this cycle, and they are the worst fans I've ever been around. I invite you to attend any home Hurricanes game in the opposing teams gear. Walking out, you better hope Miami didn't lose and it isn't dark outside.

Yeah, I've never been a fan of booing and have never done it, but Iowa fans are no worse than any other fan base in this regard. While I don't condone booing, it's ubiquitous and doesn't distinguish Iowa from any other program.

Miami currently sits at #10 in recruiting this cycle, and they are the worst fans I've ever been around. I invite you to attend any home Hurricanes game in the opposing teams gear. Walking out, you better hope Miami didn't lose and it isn't dark outside.
I think OP was referring to the home fans booing their own team impacting recruiting. Not the manner in which opposing fans are treated.

Iowa could have a 49-0 lead over Minnesota before halftime and there’d be a thread here bitching about what Sullivan wasn’t in yet. There are people here that simply won’t ever be pleased. And they’re consistent in letting the rest of us know about it.
Come on, man. That's a bit out there.

Reactions: ClarindaA's

“liability for the program.” Now that’s some funny shit right there.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Whole lot of grown men like throwing public tantrums about a college football game. Embarrassing their friends and family and ruining a lovely fall day.

Don't ever change
True but you have to understand there are many fans whose happiness/sadness is based on their sports teams. Asking them not to be so heavily invested is pointless.

Reactions: yrunvs
If you are talking about part of the crowd booing any players then I agree that is crappy behavior. I have gone to 2 hundred plus games there and watched that many on tv I suppose and have never booed a hawk player or even thought about doing it. They are young men trying to do very difficult physical and mental things while opponents are physically engaged with them.

I get a bit upset by players and coaches at times for their decisions and actions but most of us do. Booing should be a no no.

But the players are now getting paid a ton.

Reactions: HawkBall23

Can we get the video board operator to flash a "this is dedicated to you Kirk" image when the boos happen? Just to clarify who it's aimed at. (I don't think there has been any booing aimed specifically at any player in the recent past)

Reactions: obfuscating

I think the offense being so crappy is more of a concern than the fans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT