ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa/Gonzaga Box Score. Twas their Shooting

That explains it, IA's Tobasco lite version can't hang with that. Only if IA could have traded tonight for Davidson's outcome.

It's impossible to beat a team that shoots that well. Iowa shot good so it wasn't an offensive travesty. The problem was on the other side of the court. Only shooting 10 ft's to their 22 didn't help either.

Originally posted by baldwinzag:
Iowa still shot 47%...their season average.
A little better than our season average.

Congrats by the way. Good win.

They were, but damn Iowa's defense was horrendous in the first half. It'd be easier to swallow if they were making contested 3s, tip your cap. These guys were getting wide open look after look. Credit them for knocking them in, but it was atrocious defense. It's been a fun past few days though.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

While reading about their shooting from 3-pt range before the game started I had myself conditioned for it. Didn't think the pct. would be quite that high, but I was ready. What disappointed me more was the high number of uncontested baskets under the basket! Didn't look like anything special being done by Gonzaga, just Iowa players wandering away from them.

Iowa got killed on the boards too. The Zags 2 centers were men amongst boys which has happened several times over the past couple of years when the opponent actually has big interior players. The Zags freshman, whose father was a pro, was really impressive. Some Hawk fans think next year that Iowa is going to be a really good team again....I don't. Other than Uthoff, it appears there is not another consistent shooter/scorer on the team unless one/some of the freshman prove to be better than expected, especially at the 2/3 positions as Jok has proven to be no better than Oglesby was this year. I will still enjoy watching the infusion of new/young talent next year, even tho they probably won't make any post season tournaments.

Originally posted by DanL53:

https://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400786332

They were the best shooting team in the nation this year. And hotter than a Ghost Pepper tonight!
We shot 47%; what could we have done on D?
And we had 8 more FG attempts.

Breakdown of the 19 point loss:

8 points: GU made 32 baskets, Iowa 28
5 points: GU made 10 three pt baskets, Iowa made 5
6 points: GU made 13 FTs, Iowa made just 7

Fran said in the post game that our on ball pressure was not enough. He also said our transition D was not where it needed to be.

Thoughts?

IOWA's stats:

28-60 FGs (47%)
5-15 from 3 (33%)
7-10 FTs (70%)

11 turnovers

68 POINTS[/B]

GU's stats:

32-52 (62%)
10-16 from 3 (63%)
13-21 FTs (62%)

11 turnovers

87 POINTS

Originally posted by OnceAhawk:

They were the best shooting team in the nation this year. And hotter than a Ghost Pepper tonight!

Fran said in the post game that our on ball pressure was not enough. He also said our transition D was not where it needed to be.

Thoughts?

IOWA's stats:

28-60 FGs (47%)
5-15 from 3 (33%)
7-10 FTs (70%)

11 turnovers

68 POINTS[/B]

GU's stats:

32-52 (62%)
10-16 from 3 (63%)
13-21 FTs (62%)

11 turnovers

87 POINTS
Well, the Zags were damn consistent no matter where they shot the ball. Gotta give'em that.

Nice year Hawks. The kids came thru pretty well this year when all was
said and done. Sad to see it over, and all 3 Iowa teams are bounced the
1st weekend, kind of a bummer in that regard as well (not sad ISU is out however................).

Look, I thought Iowa played relatively hard tonight, shot OK (for us), but when a team knocks shots down at that rate, especially from 3, there isn't one hell of a lot you can do about it. Contested or uncontested, doesn't matter. They made twice as many 3's, that's 15 points right there.

What probably ticked me off more than anything in this game, was again the missed bunnies in the 1st half especially. White was the worst of the bunch for that tonight, he missed 3 lay-ins in a row, probably somewhat hurried due to the length of Gonzaga, but you have to make those, period. He's been great, but he contributed mightily to the big hole we found ourselves in.

We got WAY too far behind and couldn't ever mount a serious comeback, largely due to some really dumb turnovers, and I thought the officiating was terrible. I was concerned Fran was going to get T'd up, and I wouldn't have blamed him. They didn't decide the winner of this game, but they sucked just the same (and rarely do I ever bring up officiating, I just thought it was horrible). Anyway, I wanted to stay close enough to make them start to think about it a little bit, but we were never able to make a run to see what kind of guts they had without playing with a double digit lead. The basket gets a lot smaller if a team closes the gap in a hurry. Never materialized. That part sucked.

In the end, the best shooting team in the country lived up to the billing. They have FAR better big men than we do. Woody gets owned anytime he goes up against anybody remotely close to his size, and Gabe isn't a center, he gets moved around in there pretty good, but I still love having him in there (or did).

Gonzaga has better players, and they played better. End of story and good night all.

Iowa was only outscored by Gonzaga by 2 in the second half. If we played man to man in the first half it would have been closer.

Originally posted by sloehawk:
Originally posted by OnceAhawk:

Thoughts?

IOWA's stats:

28-60 FGs (47%)
5-15 from 3 (33%)
7-10 FTs (70%)

11 turnovers

68 POINTS[/B]

GU's stats:

32-52 (62%)
10-16 from 3 (63%)
13-21 FTs (62%)

11 turnovers

87 POINTS
Well, the Zags were damn consistent no matter where they shot the ball. Gotta give'em that.

Nice year Hawks. The kids came thru pretty well this year when all was
said and done. Sad to see it over, and all 3 Iowa teams are bounced the
1st weekend, kind of a bummer in that regard as well (not sad ISU is out however................).

Look, I thought Iowa played relatively hard tonight, shot OK (for us), but when a team knocks shots down at that rate, especially from 3, there isn't one hell of a lot you can do about it. Contested or uncontested, doesn't matter. They made twice as many 3's, that's 15 points right there.

What probably ticked me off more than anything in this game, was again the missed bunnies in the 1st half especially. White was the worst of the bunch for that tonight, he missed 3 lay-ins in a row, probably somewhat hurried due to the length of Gonzaga, but you have to make those, period. He's been great, but he contributed mightily to the big hole we found ourselves in.

We got WAY too far behind and couldn't ever mount a serious comeback, largely due to some really dumb turnovers, and I thought the officiating was terrible. I was concerned Fran was going to get T'd up, and I wouldn't have blamed him. They didn't decide the winner of this game, but they sucked just the same (and rarely do I ever bring up officiating, I just thought it was horrible). Anyway, I wanted to stay close enough to make them start to think about it a little bit, but we were never able to make a run to see what kind of guts they had without playing with a double digit lead. The basket gets a lot smaller if a team closes the gap in a hurry. Never materialized. That part sucked.

In the end, the best shooting team in the country lived up to the billing. They have FAR better big men than we do. Woody gets owned anytime he goes up against anybody remotely close to his size, and Gabe isn't a center, he gets moved around in there pretty good, but I still love having him in there (or did).

Gonzaga has better players, and they played better. End of story and good night all.
I agree in that Iowa missed several bunnies but like a poster said above, how many easy dunks did we give up because they slipped behind our D?

We had a couple chances in the 2nd half to take their lead to single digits but each time we failed to score; then the Zags hit a 3 and the lead was back to 14; we could not get over the damn hump

Gonzaga is a top team, Iowa isn't.

Woodie was non existent.

Ogle-non-existent

MG - 4 turnovers, inability to defend perimeter shooters.

Rebounds...

Iowa hit in the mouth out of the gate...Iowa unprepared for it...end of game.

White...did some disappearing for stretches.

Originally posted by ynglbc:
Iowa was only outscored by Gonzaga by 2 in the second half. If Iowa played anything that resembled defense in the first half it would have been closer.
FIFY. Iowa's defense effort in that first half was atrocious and Gonzaga did what good teams do. They hit wide open shots.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT