ADVERTISEMENT

The reasons we lost..

EastIowaHawk

HR Heisman
Jan 6, 2008
Before game day arrived, several posters said Utah is a great shooting team and they are very tall. That's exactly how we got beat tonight. They shot an incredible percentage from the three, and their big guys stopped all kinds of our inside shots and plays. Time and again, Krikke and Freeman were unable to get off a shot. Plus their speedy guard, who had a triple double, wasn't bad either. His fourth triple double of the year. We might get a little better next year, but I think the pattern for Iowa has been set. Congrats to Utah.

The reason we lost....

Shocked College Basketball GIF by NCAA March Madness

Before game day arrived, several posters said Utah is a great shooting team and they are very tall. That's exactly how we got beat tonight. They shot an incredible percentage from the three, and their big guys stopped all kinds of our inside shots and plays. Time and again, Krikke and Freeman were unable to get off a shot. Plus their speedy guard, who had a triple double, wasn't bad either. His fourth triple double of the year. We might get a little better next year, but I think the pattern for Iowa has been set. Congrats to Utah.

Yes, they killed us from 3, mostly one guy. And their bigs had quite a few dunks, layups and drew fouls. And I don’t remember too many games where we really struggled to make bunnies and changes/altered our shots around the bucket.

We had 36 off the bench and Krikke/Freeman/Dix had 37, so I would normally take my chances but just not much from Payton and Tony.

We need more athleticism and have to shoot the ball more consistently. Freeman needs some help down low.

Good effort from PMac and Krikke.

How does mediocre talent and horrific coaching make any postseason?

You can be mediocre among your peers. There is huge budget difference between a P5 program and and a mid major...that means P5 schools have better facilities, better amenities, higher paid coaches, etc.

So Iowa finished roughly 7th out of 14 B1G teams if you don't count the loss in BTT....that is roughly middle of the pack, or medicocre vs our peers. If you count the BTT loss, Iowa was actually below mediocre in total W/L vs B1G opponents.

I do agree you can't have both mediocre talent and horrific coaching. So we are closer to mediocre in both regards.

There's not a team in the country that can guard a player that shoots that far out, plus they had 2 - 7 footers under the basket. give Utah credit they made the shots and won the game on THEIR HOME COURT.
Why doesn't the constant whinners of Fran and Iowa basketball call it a day and wait until next year to continue the negative BS.

There's not a team in the country that can guard a player that shoots that far out, plus they had 2 - 7 footers under the basket. give Utah credit they made the shots and won the game on THEIR HOME COURT.
Why doesn't the constant whinners of Fran and Iowa basketball call it a day and wait until next year to continue the negative BS.
Go to bed Margaret 😉

If Utah were so impossible to beat, they wouldn't have been playing in the same tourney as Iowa was tonight.

Utah looked, at least vs Iowa, to be an NCAA Tourney team.

Reactions: amahawk
Year 15 and the Hawks "might get a little better" (than a 2nd round exit from the NIT).

If that's not a reason for change, I don't know what is.

Because it is the same shit every year. UNDERPERFORNANCE!!!!!

Why Iowa lost you need to go no further than the Stats. They are there for everybody to review. Utah guards scored 66 points on 32 out of 57 shot percentage. Iowa guards scored 29 points on 16 out of 25 shots. A couple of Brocks were drives given to him when the game was already over. Clearly Iowa is lacking decent guard play and recruiting. But Fran's 'System' is what the recruiting effort is geared towards. What is Fran's system - seriously, because it was based on great 3 pt shooters and a 7 footer in the middle, but now I'm not really sure what his recruiting or game philosophy is. PS throws up shots that my coach's would have gone crazy and sat my butt on the bench after a good tongue lashing. Not only are the shots bad but it also is before anybody is ready and gives the other team a transition basket easy after the long rebound. Many other fundamental mistakes(defense -blocking out - rebounding ) that leave me shaking my head.

Last edited:
So the apologists say during the season let's let the season play out before we evaluate Fran. Then when the season is over you say stop complaining about Fran. Is that all you got to defend Fran after this season? This season must have been way worse then I thought if that's all you can say to defend Fran.

Defensive rotation / positioning is terrible, time and time again. I give Fran a lot of credit for Iowa’s offensive efficiency almost always being top 15-20 in the country. But it is also crazy how many open 3s, layups, and dunks we give up simply because of dumb defensive positioning / rotation. I lost track of how many times a perimeter player left his man to “help” on the block, but just end up in the middle of nowhere to the point that he’s not guarding anyone. Literally not doubling hard enough to make hit difficult on the post player, but far enough away from the 3 point line that he cannot recover and gives up a wide open jumper.

1. Hawks defense sux.

+

2. Payton and Tony didn't show up.

=

L

Reactions: amahawk
Why Iowa lost you need to go no further than the Stats. They are there for everybody to review. Utah guards scored 66 points on 32 out of 57 shot percentage. Iowa guards scored 29 points on 16 out of 25 shots. A couple of Brocks were drives given to him when the game was already over. Clearly Iowa is lacking decent guard play and recruiting. But Fran's 'System' is what the recruiting effort is geared towards. What is Fran's system - seriously, because it was based on great 3 pt shooters and a 7 footer in the middle, but now I'm not really sure what his recruiting or game philosophy is. PS throws up shots that my coach's would have gone crazy and sat my butt on the bench after a good tongue lashing. Not only are the shots bad but it also is before anybody is ready and gives the other team a transition basket easy after the long rebound. Many other fundamental mistakes(defense -blocking out - rebounding ) that leave me shaking my head.
I don’t need stats, just the sheer eye ball test. I’d be interested to hear from a Ute fan, but I saw their coach was treading water at .500 winning percentage the last 3 years and I saw a crowd that did their best to seem interested. Sound familiar? Iowa definitely made the Utes look better than they were - both teams played sloppy ball at times and deserving of NIT invitations. Maybe both are just meant to be football schools, not sure… 🤔

Reactions: hahkize
I'll give Utah zero credit and they can deal with it.

Also, just because the season ended doesn't mean we have to stop b****ing about our failures as a basketball program. We're not waiting until November to start doing that again................just sayin.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
I think some guys checked out. I don't agree with opting out of the NIT, but I think it's going to become a thing in one way or another. I think players read all about it, the seed was planted. Guys checking out, guys thinking more about the portal, guys only wanting to play in the dance, guys thinking about NIL, schools saying its not in the budget...

Reactions: amahawk and RLMHAWK
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT