ADVERTISEMENT

The reasons we lost..

I think some guys checked out.
That's been the case with the NIT, CBI etc for years.

I don't agree with opting out of the NIT, but I think it's going to become a thing in one way or another. I think players read all about it, the seed was planted. Guys checking out, guys thinking more about the portal, guys only wanting to play in the dance, guys thinking about NIL, schools saying its not in the budget...
The rest of the stuff regarding NIL, portal etc only adds to the reasons/excuses for certain players choosing to "check out" mentally.

Reactions: GOHOX69
We are
You can be mediocre among your peers. There is huge budget difference between a P5 program and and a mid major...that means P5 schools have better facilities, better amenities, higher paid coaches, etc.

So Iowa finished roughly 7th out of 14 B1G teams if you don't count the loss in BTT....that is roughly middle of the pack, or medicocre vs our peers. If you count the BTT loss, Iowa was actually below mediocre in total W/L vs B1G opponents.

I do agree you can't have both mediocre talent and horrific coaching. So we are closer to mediocre in both regards.

Iowa is mid major talent.

Reactions: amahawk
In Iowa's last 10 games, they gave up an average of 84 points per game. That is not the kind of basketball I enjoy watching. Iowa is horrible at defending the high post pick and roll. Actually, I can't think of any defensive aspect that they are even at an average level.

Reactions: Bearhawk0505
Utah:
2 long, skilled, athletic bigs who defend
Great 3 point shooting
Hyper quick point guard
Seemed to have decent depth

Surprised they are not in the tourney.

They are kind of a poor man’s Gonzaga. Not a bad model.
Losing 14 games, twice to a bad ASU team, makes one think that they are about as consistent as Iowa.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
I never played organized Bball, so have some questions. Why do opponents guards run pick and roll and get open by 4-5 feet almost every time? And why can we NOT do that? What are we doing wrong?

From what I saw it was what happens pretty much every time Iowa loses. Some dude gets hot from 3 and can't miss. You'd almost say it was a fluke, but it happens pretty much every time Iowa loses so it's a pattern. It's also why Iowa can't make it farther than the 2nd round, that is if they are even lucky enough to get that far. Most NCAA teams have players that can hit 3's consistently and will light it up against our zone.

Not sure why, but Perkins didn't play well or with much fire the last couple of weeks. He sure finished the season with a whimper. I hope that has nothing to do with his decision where to play next year.

Payton had his worst game in a couple of months, after playing very well.

Otherwise, the defense continues to not be good, although I still believe Dix plays well on both ends and might be the only player who doesn't contribute to how bad the defense is. Our centers are totally baffled by how to play the pick and roll, and that needs to get cleaned up next year, if we want to be better. If there isn't a coach on the staff who can teach that, we need to hire one.

I guess I can root for the Houston Cougs, and against the blue bloods remaining for the rest of the season.

If Utah were so impossible to beat, they wouldn't have been playing in the same tourney as Iowa was tonight.
It's true that mighty Utah had lost 14 games going into the Iowa matchup, exactly the same number Iowa had lost, so it also stands to reason that Iowa might have been far more competitive. Instead, the Hawkeyes fell behind by 18, cut it to five a few times, only to miss key shots and let Utah build the lead back and maintain an 8-12 point margin the rest of the way.

Not only the bad attitudes, but also the high altitude. 😉
I didn't think about this but the altitude almost certainly played a role. It would explain why the team just completely collapsed after fighting to get the game close again. They looked completely out of gas for the last 10 minutes of that game.

It's true that mighty Utah had lost 14 games going into the Iowa matchup, exactly the same number Iowa had lost, so it also stands to reason that Iowa might have been far more competitive. Instead, the Hawkeyes fell behind by 18, cut it to five a few times, only to miss key shots and let Utah build the lead back and maintain an 8-12 point margin the rest of the way.
Well then Utah should've tried harder to lose......

I’m old enough to remember when Fran’s teams fought hard enough to make it to the NIT finals
Say what you want, but I really don't feel like a lack of effort is why they lost last night. They played well in stretches, but I think it was a combination of they never shoot as well on the road and getting tired in the high altitude that did them in.

Utah's roster is as white as Iowa's. Non-factor for those keeping track. But....

Utah has a front line of 2) 7-footers and 2 others 6-8 to 6-9 who are quicker, with better reactions than Iowa.
UU also has 2) 6-6 to 6-7 guards who are quicker, w/ better reactions, and athletic ability than Iowa.
Oh, btw, they can also shoot as well as or better Iowa's roster.

Say what you want, but I really don't feel like a lack of effort is why they lost last night. They played well in stretches, but I think it was a combination of they never shoot as well on the road and getting tired in the high altitude that did them in.
The higher altitude should not have affected their mental facillities. They played dumb on the defensive end

There's not a team in the country that can guard a player that shoots that far out, plus they had 2 - 7 footers under the basket. give Utah credit they made the shots and won the game on THEIR HOME COURT.
Why doesn't the constant whinners of Fran and Iowa basketball call it a day and wait until next year to continue the negative BS.
Not in zone D.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT