ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa GOP wants to control where citizens can travel

Where do you want to take this discussion? Do you want to talk about topics other than High School students or groups being allowed to travel to countries that our government deems risky?

They are not YOUR kids. Why do you care? I'd tell them all that they are being monitored 24/7 and anything that they do on their phone is being monitored. But Chinese people are great. It is only the government that they need to worry about. Go see the Great Wall.

Change in societies doesn't come from isolation. Did you ever think that a bunch of h.s. school kids could help change Chinese society. They want democracy. Shutting them out is not going to help. Build friendships abroad.

I'm not defending the republican stance. I just don't think it's a good idea for a school to be scheduling trips to countries that aren't all that safe.
China is safe though. I am not sure where you are getting that. Just because it is a Communist country doesn't mean lots of crime. It's actually the opposite.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Never mind. I guess China is our friend.
China is one of America’s most critical trading partners.

Maintaining relationships - including educational and cultural exchanges like school visits and educating Chinese students at American universities - is absolutely essential.

Nixon understood this. So did Reagan. And both Bushes.

It’s only the new breed of know-nothing, MAGA-brained morons that don’t get it.

If I'm being honest, I don't have a huge issue with this BUT I do find it funny, because I also feel it should be the parents decision on whether or not to let their kid go. And if you go to ol Kimmy's twitter account and search the word "parents" there's a TON of tweets about her giving the power to parents to make all kinds of different decisions for their kids when it comes to school related topics.

If I'm being honest, I don't have a huge issue with this BUT I do find it funny, because I also feel it should be the parents decision on whether or not to let their kid go. And if you go to ol Kimmy's twitter account and search the word "parents" there's a TON of tweets about her giving the power to parents to make all kinds of different decisions for their kids when it comes to school related topics.
She’s a smooth-brained hypocrite - BAU.

China is one of America’s most critical trading partners.

Maintaining relationships - including educational and cultural exchanges like school visits and educating Chinese students at American universities is absolutely essential.

Nixon understood this. So did Reagan. And both Bushes.

It’s only the new breed of know-nothing, MAGA-brained morons that don’t get it.

This. It is better to do politics through the people than through the leaders.

But, I always piss off my liberal friends when I tell them Nixon wasn't all bad. He opened the door to China. China should have a monument to him because he brought them out of the black hole....Kissinger as well I suppose.

I don't trust the Chinese government, but I trust the people.

I’m in favor of limiting where high school students can take trips. I’d start with Russia, North Korea, Iraq and Iran. Probably throw in Afghanistan, Syria, Libya, Somalia and Venezuela. If we feel China or anywhere else is dangerous, then add it to the list. Their record on human rights should be enough reason alone to discourage travel there in order for these kids to get “culture”.
I love the small-minded and small-town mentality. I'm afraid I disagree with banning travel anywhere regardless of how dangerous you perceive it to be. People should use their judgment and do what's best for them.

Those parents signed off on their kids attending the trip. Don't Republicans want parental control and rights? It seems like they are selective.

China is safe though. I am not sure where you are getting that. Just because it is a Communist country doesn't mean lots of crime. It's actually the opposite.

Let's just say they have different laws and customs. Look at the way they handle Covid. The government will do what the government wants to do. For any school trip I feel it needs to be with a country that we consider a true friend.

This. It is better to do politics through the people than through the leaders.

But, I always piss off my liberal friends when I tell them Nixon wasn't all bad. He opened the door to China. China should have a monument to him because he brought them out of the black hole....Kissinger as well I suppose.

I don't trust the Chinese government, but I trust the people.
You're liberal friends get pissed when you say Nixon wasn't that bad? Really? I call BS. No one cares anymore.

I love the small-minded and small-town mentality. I'm afraid I disagree with banning travel anywhere regardless of how dangerous you perceive it to be. People should use their judgment and do what's best for them.

Those parents signed off on their kids attending the trip. Don't Republicans want parental control and rights? It seems like they are selective.

I'd have no problem with our kids going there. I'd have the talk with them about how their American rights don't apply there, but that should be common sense. China does not want to create a geopolitical problem for the sake of creating a problem. There is too much money at stake.

I'm not say a legislator is the correct person to make the call, but post schools and parents are not informed enough to be able to make a decision.
I am more than informed to make that decision for myself and my kids. Many people are.

You're liberal friends get pissed when you say Nixon wasn't that bad? Really? I call BS. No one cares anymore.

You can believe whatever you want. The far left can only focus on Watergate. Nixon f'd up a lot. But he also opened China, started the EPA, etc.

Any historian has to be accurate. Fair, unmerciful, and honest.

No. If the trip is school sponsored then someone needs to make sure the trip is completely safe. If parents want to take their kid to China, then they can book themselves a family trip.
Why? The trip was completely safe. Nothing happened.

I am more than informed to make that decision for myself and my kids. Many people are.

Then take your kids to China or anywhere, I don't care. The question is whether a school should be taking a trip somewhere that might be risky.

Let's just say they have different laws and customs. Look at the way they handle Covid. The government will do what the government wants to do. For any school trip I feel it needs to be with a country that we consider a true friend.
Every country has different laws and customs. South Korea and New Zealand handled Covid way different from the USA as well. Should we not let students go there as well. Have you ever left the country?

You can believe whatever you want. The far left can only focus on Watergate. Nixon f'd up a lot. But he also opened China, started the EPA, etc.

Any historian has to be accurate. Fair, unmerciful, and honest.
No one focuses on Watergate anymore. That's my point. Besides the blueprint for the EPA was laid out by Daniel Evans one of the last Republican governors of Washington. It was done under the Nixon administration but he had little to do with it.

Every country has different laws and customs. South Korea and New Zealand handled Covid way different from the USA as well. Should we not let students go there as well. Have you ever left the country?
I have left the country. What's your take on that kid who ended up brain dead in North Korea, do you think that it was the right decision for that group to go? Do you think the parents thought their kid was in danger? Would you allow your kid to travel to N Korea on a high school trip?

• Haha
I have left the country. What's your take on that kid who ended up brain dead in North Korea, do you think that it was the right decision for that group to go? Do you think the parents thought their kid was in danger? Would you allow your kid to travel to N Korea on a high school trip?
Was North Korea a sponsored trip. You do understand that Americans aren't allowed to enter the Hermit Kingdom. I am not trying to be rude but you are speaking from ignorance.

No one focuses on Watergate anymore. That's my point. Besides the blueprint for the EPA was laid out by Daniel Evans one of the last Republican governors of Washington. It was done under the Nixon administration but he had little to do with it.

I understand that, but he signed it. I'm not going to take away from him that was something against his political interest.

So no more school trips to D.C. then?
We had a class trip to DC when I was in 8th grade, the year before 9/11. I remember being shocked at the amount of homeless people that approached us kids asking if we wanted to buy their knockoff products.

Was North Korea a sponsored trip. You do understand that Americans aren't allowed to enter the Hermit Kingdom. I am not trying to be rude but you are speaking from ignorance.
I believe that kid was on a sponsored trip of some kind. His parents weren't with him. I'm trying to understand where you draw the line on what's safe and not safe for a school trip.

I believe that kid was on a sponsored trip of some kind. His parents weren't with him. I'm trying to understand where you draw the line on what's safe and not safe for a school trip.
I am also trying to do the same. China is safe. You are arguing opposite. Can you tell me why you know that it is dangerous to go to China? It's the fourth most visited country in the world. Have you ever traveled abroad? If yes, have you ever been to Asia? Edit: 3 million Americans visit China each year. Where are all the stories of Americans being treated unfairly. Again, ignorance.

Reactions: torbee
They are not YOUR kids. Why do you care? I'd tell them all that they are being monitored 24/7 and anything that they do on their phone is being monitored. But Chinese people are great. It is only the government that they need to worry about. Go see the Great Wall.

Change in societies doesn't come from isolation. Did you ever think that a bunch of h.s. school kids could help change Chinese society. They want democracy. Shutting them out is not going to help. Build friendships abroad.

Leaving China out of this discussion for a sec. Would you be ok if a school were offering a trip to Russia or North Korea? I’m not saying China is equivalent. I want to know if you have any restrictions that are ok or are you always in favor of leaving it up to the parents.

Like Brittany Griner “thought it through” before going to Russia. Sometimes people don’t make the best, well thought out decisions.

Brittney took a drug into Russia and paid for it. If those kids are dumb enough to do that, they deserve to do the time. If their guardian feels like they're responsible enough it shouldn't be your, mine, or some politicians decision on who travels to those regions.

But we shouldn't model our decisions after you. You won't even let your 21 year old son go to a concert in Minneapolis. No shit he isn't responsible enough to go to China.

Reactions: mientkiewicz
I’m in favor of limiting where high school students can take trips. I’d start with Russia, North Korea, Iraq and Iran. Probably throw in Afghanistan, Syria, Libya, Somalia and Venezuela. If we feel China or anywhere else is dangerous, then add it to the list. Their record on human rights should be enough reason alone to discourage travel there in order for these kids to get “culture”.
I could understand limiting school trips to any country with a certain level travel advisory issued by the Department of State? At least then the prohibition is at least ostensibly based on safety and not politics.

But legislators should not be mandating where our children can and cannot travel based on the politics or ideology of the country or its government. If its a reasonable safe place to travel, then its up to the student and parents to determine if its appropriate.

Reactions: torbee
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT