ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Highschool Tournament

Every year someone gets on here and talks about some state that does a 1 class wrestling state tournament. Its stupid. Our state tournament is an event, communities empty and show up to watch 4 kids. It's fun! I don't care that we have 3 state champions at each weight. Also, when you meet someone and talk wrestling and eventually it comes up they were a state champion from .... no one ever says, "in a one class system you would have been 3rd." No, a state champion is a state champion.

Second, expanding to 24 is awesome. I would much rather have a few kids with losing or 500 records make it into the bracket than leave a deserving kid home.

It reminds me of the Texas HS Football system where they have a Division I and a Division II in each class from A to 6A. I believe it's randomized at the beginning of the year as to which Division you'll be competeting in. (It's not a reflection of class size or anything else, that's what the A-6A distinction is for) Even more crazy as is that each division has it's own 64 team playoff bracket at the end of the year and each Division has it's own champ, that has won 6 playoff games in a row. And you're left with two bad ass teams, from the same class, oftentimes both undefeated that will never play each other in a "Superbowl" type game. It's bad for fans. But a 17 game season is plenty for a HS team and pushing the season past Christmas is never going to happen. It seems weird to have two different state champs in each class but everyone is used to it now. Obviously Texas is a huge state but it's kind of wild to think that 128 teams are competing in the playoffs in each class each year.

Tycho is not the returning runner up, but he was the 2 seed this year.

I think he got 4th last year?
Thats correct. My bad. I was remembering his match with Frost as the final, not the semi. He indeed placed 4th last year.

Reactions: Inthecircle
BK has been on the mat less than 30 seconds to advance to the semifinals. Looks to do things at will against what is presumably pretty good 220s in Iowa. He will be a nice addition next year if something should happen to Cass as Im sure he could step right in and be a force for a championship. I hope he sits down with Ferentz and Brands and makes a solid decision on wrestling one way or the other after next year so everybody knows what theyre working with going forward after Cass.

BK has been on the mat less than 30 seconds to advance to the semifinals. Looks to do things at will against what is presumably pretty good 220s in Iowa. He will be a nice addition next year if something should happen to Cass as Im sure he could step right in and be a force for a championship. I hope he sits down with Ferentz and Brands and makes a solid decision on wrestling one way or the other after next year so everybody knows what theyre working with going forward after Cass.
I saw that as well when scrolling through the results last night…pinned one guy in 12 seconds and another in 14. WOW!!!

Wish he would forget about football.

He’ll see the field right away in football probably on special teams….. Ferentz rarely redshirts kids that talented anymore cause they usually leave early anyway…….

that’s actually kind of ideal cause a year in the football strength program will give him time to grow into a Heavyweight ….. they’ll put 20 pounds on him and improve his athleticism

He’ll see the field right away in football probably on special teams….. Ferentz rarely redshirts kids that talented anymore cause they usually leave early anyway…….

that’s actually kind of ideal cause a year in the football strength program will give him time to grow into a Heavyweight ….. they’ll put 20 pounds on him and improve his athleticism
May get a beat down by FBall peeps but Ive seen him do both wrestling and football and he is much better at wrestling than football.

I was not around a couple of years ago, fill me in.
Not sure of details, but we had a Columbus parent that was a bit confrontational. I believe Max might be a little older than many kids in his grade.
If I'm wrong, someone will correct me.

Not sure of details, but we had a Columbus parent that was a bit confrontational. I believe Max might be a little older than many kids in his grade.
I dont know either but guys are spending 6 years in college so who cares about age. He is absolutely mauling guys to my untrained eye. Somebody didnt like his dad from my recollections.

1A FINALS

106 –

No.1 Jayden Rinken (Nashua-Plainfield) 46-2 vs No. 2 Mason Shirk (Wilton) 47-3

113 –

No. 3 Rowdy Neighbor (Alburnett) 47-2 vs No. 2 Cael Morrow (Akron-Westfield) 37-1

120 –

No. 1 Brandon Paez (Lisbon) 52-0 vs No. 3 Teague Smith (West Hancock, Britt) 48-1

126 –

No. 1 Garret Rinken (Nashua-Plainfield) 50-0 vs No. 6 Dawson Schmit (Wapsie Valley) 40-7

132 –

No. 1 Gable Porter (Underwood) 46-1 vs No. 2 Tanner Arjes (North Butler-Clarksville) 46-1

138 –

No. 2 Blake Allen (Underwood) 37-3 vs No. 3 Collin Holm (South Winneshiek) 40-1

145 –

No. 1 Mikey Baker (West Sioux, Hawarden) 35-2 vs No. 3 Kaiden Knaack (Don Bosco) 36-5

152 –

No. 1 Kellen Smith (West Hancock, Britt) 47-0 vs No. 2 Kyler Knaack (Don Bosco) 39-2

160 –

No. 1 Wyatt Reisz (Logan-Magnolia) 51-0 vs No. 2 Dominic Lopez (New London) 57-0

170 –

No. 1 Maximus Magayna (Columbus Catholic) 46-1 vs No. 3 Jace Nelson-Brown (Emmetsburg) 39-6

182 –

No. 2 Carson Hartz (Columbus Catholic) 39-1 vs No. 7 Caden Ballou (Midland) 45-3

195 –

No. 1 Jackson Dewald (Westwood, Sloan) 46-0 vs No. 2 Josh Glendening (Mediapolis) 48-1

220 –

No. 1 Jared Thiry (Don Bosco) 41-3 vs No. 2 Mason Knipp (Columbus Catholic) 39-6

285 –

No. 1 Wyatt Smith (Lisbon) 50-0 vs No. 3 Mack Ortner (Don Bosco) 34-6

I dont know either but guys are spending 6 years in college so who cares about age. He is absolutely mauling guys to my untrained eye. Somebody didnt like his dad from my recollections.

It has nothing to do with how old he is and everything to do with his lack of success nationally. A very good HS wrestler in Iowa, though. Someone will pay him to wrestle in college but he will have much, much better financial offers than Iowa.

Side note, Waterloo Columbus has THREE wrestlers in the finals. Wow. That program was on life support just a few years ago after once again being raided by Don Bosco. Impressive stuff and kudos to their coaches.

1A FINALS

106 –

No.1 Jayden Rinken (Nashua-Plainfield) 46-2 vs No. 2 Mason Shirk (Wilton) 47-3

113 –

No. 3 Rowdy Neighbor (Alburnett) 47-2 vs No. 2 Cael Morrow (Akron-Westfield) 37-1

120 –

No. 1 Brandon Paez (Lisbon) 52-0 vs No. 3 Teague Smith (West Hancock, Britt) 48-1

126 –

No. 1 Garret Rinken (Nashua-Plainfield) 50-0 vs No. 6 Dawson Schmit (Wapsie Valley) 40-7

132 –

No. 1 Gable Porter (Underwood) 46-1 vs No. 2 Tanner Arjes (North Butler-Clarksville) 46-1

138 –

No. 2 Blake Allen (Underwood) 37-3 vs No. 3 Collin Holm (South Winneshiek) 40-1

145 –

No. 1 Mikey Baker (West Sioux, Hawarden) 35-2 vs No. 3 Kaiden Knaack (Don Bosco) 36-5

152 –

No. 1 Kellen Smith (West Hancock, Britt) 47-0 vs No. 2 Kyler Knaack (Don Bosco) 39-2

160 –

No. 1 Wyatt Reisz (Logan-Magnolia) 51-0 vs No. 2 Dominic Lopez (New London) 57-0

170 –

No. 1 Maximus Magayna (Columbus Catholic) 46-1 vs No. 3 Jace Nelson-Brown (Emmetsburg) 39-6

182 –

No. 2 Carson Hartz (Columbus Catholic) 39-1 vs No. 7 Caden Ballou (Midland) 45-3

195 –

No. 1 Jackson Dewald (Westwood, Sloan) 46-0 vs No. 2 Josh Glendening (Mediapolis) 48-1

220 –

No. 1 Jared Thiry (Don Bosco) 41-3 vs No. 2 Mason Knipp (Columbus Catholic) 39-6

285 –

No. 1 Wyatt Smith (Lisbon) 50-0 vs No. 3 Mack Ortner (Don Bosco) 34-6
Confused on the seeding. If these are finals how are numbers like a 2 and 3 squaring up or a 2 and 7 when by traditional seeding those should’ve been semi and quarter match ups. If you know, I would appreciate the insight👍🏿

He was held back one year in his elementary school days. I’m not sure how that is relevant to anything.

If this “confrontation” happened in the Columbus gym, that parent was me. The guy deserved it, He sat on his rear talking badly about several of the kids and it culminated in a comment about Max. I held my cool as his continuously ran his mouth, but he was a loud and very obnoxious donkey. He was asked to shut his mouth, but couldn’t seem to take direction. He quickly lost the battle to a gaggle of women. I hope we didn’t hurt his feelings.

He was held back one year in his elementary school days. I’m not sure how that is relevant to anything.

If this “confrontation” happened in the Columbus gym, that parent was me. The guy deserved it, He sat on his rear talking badly about several of the kids and it culminated in a comment about Max. I held my cool as his continuously ran his mouth, but he was a loud and very obnoxious donkey. He was asked to shut his mouth, but couldn’t seem to take direction. He quickly lost the battle to a gaggle of women. I hope we didn’t hurt his feelings.

And there you have it. Thanks.

Good to hear from you. Hope you and the very beautiful Mrs. Sans are well.

It has nothing to do with how old he is and everything to do with his lack of success nationally. A very good HS wrestler in Iowa, though. Someone will pay him to wrestle in college but he will have much, much better financial offers than Iowa.

Side note, Waterloo Columbus has THREE wrestlers in the finals. Wow. That program was on life support just a few years ago after once again being raided by Don Bosco. Impressive stuff and kudos to their coaches.
Old argument - but neither one of those two schools should be competing in 1A. I don't care what their actual enrollment is. Being able to pull from the entire city of Waterloo and going against the true small schools in Iowa is just f'n ridiculous.

feels like we have this discussion every year during the state tournament. if you’re wondering if a kid there is a good potential recruit, look up their national level results and you’ll have your answer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT