ADVERTISEMENT

IOWA Hoops starting lineup, in November 2017

Maybe not in November, but as the year goes on Nunge may surprise. By the late season I would think that he may be seeing major minutes. He does not redshirt. Fran does not want a kid of this talent transferring.
I like what I see from Nunge's videos.

I think Dailey is the wild card here. We need some scoring and athleticism in the starting lineup

The 3 locks r Moss, bohanon and Cook

Unfortunately I don't see Dailey as all that athletic. Maybe he will hit the weight room and surprise us all this coming season.

For those leaving Baer out as a starter next year, consider that he led the team in rebounds, steals, and blocks. He is also 2nd, behind only JB, among returners in assists.
http://m.espn.com/ncb/teamstats?teamId=2294
The luxury of having him come off the bench is over, especially if you want better D in the starting lineup.

I think either Baer or Wagner (I know crazy right) starts at the 3.

Wagner bc he can play some D and potentially guard the other teams best player or at least 2-4 (and sometimes 5).

Reactions: lovedwatchingLester
1. Bohannon
2. Moss
3. Baer or Dailey/Nunge (If Fran wants to keep the Baer cage on the bench)
4. Cook
5. Best Paint Presence on defense

Defensive balance is the most important thing for next year.

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69
Unfortunately I don't see Dailey as all that athletic. Maybe he will hit the weight room and surprise us all this coming season.

Maishe has some athleticism for certain. You can see from this video, there are moves that cannot be done without some athleticism.

I thought he played timid last season, the little he did play. Or rather, he played without a role. More experience and playing time with his team will help. As will the weight room....

He has decent handles, a decent shot and moves well with the ball. I think this lefty will play. And IF he can bring it on defense, he could earn quite a few minutes.... We need guard play. He has the skill set, so I hope he earns it!!

1. Bohannon
2. Moss
3. Baer or Dailey/Nunge (If Fran wants to keep the Baer cage on the bench)
4. Cook
5. Best Paint Presence on defense

Defensive balance is the most important thing for next year.

Why would the most Productive player, in terms of Steals, rebounds, points,
& the BIG10 conference 6 man of the year, even be considered on the same line as
Maishe, who does have potential, but hasn't no experience, of Nunge ??

Kidding here ??

& the BIG10 conference 6 man of the year, even be considered on the same line as

Kidding here ??

I agree but he is so good coming off the bench. Baer won't start but he'll play 30 minutes a game

I agree but he is so good coming off the bench. Baer won't start but he'll play 30 minutes a game
No. There's a small chance Baer won't start. But if he averaged 30min a game, he's starting. Don't know of anyone in the history of college BB who averaged 30min a game and didn't start.

No. There's a small chance Baer won't start. But if he averaged 30min a game, he's starting. Don't know of anyone in the history of college BB who averaged 30min a game and didn't start.

Baer maybe the first. He had 26 minutes /game in conference play for 3rd on the team .... Although I think he should start,Fran has his way of doing things. Moss and Wagner were 6th & 7th in minutes, but started. That's Fran. Those two are never in the game at the end. Same with Woody for 3 of his 4 years. Whatever it takes to keep players happy, I guess.

Reactions: DanL53
Baer maybe the first. He had 26 minutes /game in conference play for 3rd on the team .... Although I think he should start,Fran has his way of doing things. Moss and Wagner were 6th & 7th in minutes, but started. That's Fran. Those two are never in the game at the end. Same with Woody for 3 of his 4 years. Whatever it takes to keep players happy, I guess.
Woody and Wagner had trouble with FTs and so weren't in the game at the end generally. Woody got better as a senior. Moss was out for Baer at the end- better decision-maker. You knew Jok was staying in. Although there were times Fran went with Jok at PG with Moss and Baer at the wings that I thought was effective.

Baer will take Jok's place as a secondary starting assist man in addition to defensive stat stuffer. Moss is definitely still developing the passing part of his game. There's a reason we had trouble getting going in games and got better at that when Baer started in place of the injured Jok. It's just time to let Pemsl or Wagner earn 6th man of the year honors.

I think he's athletic enough, but headsy is how I would describe him. He appeared, to me, to have a very well-rounded game. Athletic, or not.

Kidding here ??
Team balance would be the justification.

Fran will have to balance the units on the floor. You need O, D and shooting out there. Not to mention Cook, Wagner can play way faster than Garza, Pemsl. That is why I think Dom will finish with a good Sr. year, he's long, can drive it and hopefully finds his shot. Gotta replace the production from Jok but the D should be better, the O is gonna need to attack the paint and share the rock.

Maishe has some athleticism for certain. You can see from this video, there are moves that cannot be done without some athleticism.

I thought he played timid last season, the little he did play. Or rather, he played without a role. More experience and playing time with his team will help. As will the weight room....

He has decent handles, a decent shot and moves well with the ball. I think this lefty will play. And IF he can bring it on defense, he could earn quite a few minutes.... We need guard play. He has the skill set, so I hope he earns it!!

Yeah, he for sure has some athletic ability just needs to get stronger mind and body! Aka strength and confidence. He should be ok

Kidding here ??

Generally this would be spot on. Baer is that very rare player that works as a force multiplier when he enters a game already in progress. He still could be the starter because his position is the one spot where the starter is gone. Baer is also clearly in the top five of roster talent as well.

Highly Doubt it.

whether he does or doesnt...doesnt matter.
what he does is brings an inside presence that we didnt have last year...especially with rebounding & interior defense..he makes Cook & Pemsl as well as others better.

I could see Garza starting along side Cook...but thats a guess because its May 6th...its also a guess that he won't start.
The big guy is a baller..

Generally this would be spot on. Baer is that very rare player that works as a force multiplier when he enters a game already in progress. He still could be the starter because his position is the one spot where the starter is gone. Baer is also clearly in the top five of roster talent as well.
When Jok moved to SF and Pemsl to the bench, it's my opinion that the only reason Baer didn't start is because he isn't a PF.

Highly Doubt it.
Looking at the roster Fran has assembled, it's pretty obvious that Garza was brought in and sold on fitting into this team as Cook's running mate. He'll get starts this year to track him into that position.

I'm thrilled to have a player like Luka Garza on the team. But I am pretty sure he's going to wrestle with foul situations.

good...I hope he knocks a few heads around in the process....we got the depth to handle it.

I'm sure he will get the usual 'freshman' calls but he will learn...smart kid

Last edited:
Reactions: DanL53
good...I hope he knocks a few heads around in the process....we got the depth to handle it.

I'm sure he will get the usual 'freshman' calls but he will learn...smart knick
"Smart knick"?!? You're saying Garza is a NY fan?

I know it's not a popular opinion but I would like to see Williams start and get lots of minutes with Bohannon. Jordan can score and Chris can defend and distribute. Moss can work off them with Cook, Pemsl and Baer getting 20+mins/game. Dailey, Wagner and Uhl should get 15-18 mins/game. One of the three tall white dudes will get about 10-12 mins per game.

Reactions: hawk-i bob
To me, this would be our best defensive and athletic lineup:
Bohannon
Williams/Dailey
Moss
Wagner
Cook

Not a lot of post presence which is probably why I like it athletically from a perimeter defense perspective.. but would something like that work? Too small maybe?

Bohannon
Williams/Dailey
Moss
Wagner
Cook

Not a lot of post presence which is probably why I like it athletically from a perimeter defense perspective.. but would something like that work? Too small maybe?
Too small. I think we'll see Kreiner or Garza start. Coach McC has a preference for traditional line ups, with forwards that do a little bit of everything. While I think the first game start will go to Ellingson there will be many opportunities for a forward to develop to the point of being a starter at SF/3. Most obviously is Baer, if McC doesn't employ the force multiplier of caging the beast until its time to open the Baer Cage.

Looking at the roster Fran has assembled, it's pretty obvious that Garza was brought in and sold on fitting into this team as Cook's running mate. He'll get starts this year to track him into that position.

Im not sure what Cook would have to do with Garzas recruitment more than any other teamate.

I doubt he starts this year with so many experienced players in the mix and I wouldn't be surprised to see a redshirt or two.

Either way, Iowa is going to be rotating allot of guys this year.

Bohannon
Williams/Dailey
Moss
Wagner
Cook

Our best defensive lineup is

Williams, Moss, Baer, Wagner and Kriener.

JBO and Cook are two of the best offensive players but two of the weaker defenders on the team.

I wouldnt want to have that defensive lineup in much if ever though because it would be one of the worst scoring units.

Bohannon
Williams/Dailey
Moss
Wagner
Cook

Go Baer for Moss and you are good here... Unless the lineup is real small. Then Moss would be a good substitution for our best rebounder.

So, we have settled this debate for now.

1- Jordan Bohannon
2- Nick Baer
3- Nicholas Baer
4- Bear
5- St Nicholas

:) Go Hawks;

Sarcasm alert: just message board stuff here: Of course, the truth is............
In Fran we all Trust !!

So, we have settled this debate for now.

1- Jordan Bohannon
2- Nick Baer
3- Nicholas Baer
4- Bear
5- St Nicholas

:) Go Hawks;

Sarcasm alert: just message board stuff here: Of course, the truth is............
In Fran we all Trust !!

And indeed if we talked with Fran he'd likely say on May 8th that he has not even begun to reach a decision. By default, the four returning starters and Baer? By the time the first practice starts, expect things to change as not so much arbitrary prognostications, but various players getting a turn in the top unit during scrimmages.

We fans are like kids before Christmas lifting wrapped presents, shaking them, some go so far as to sniff the things or stick an ear to the side. That's just what we do.

ADVERTISEMENT