ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa is 111th in offensive efficiency as of today.

I meant rushing.

I’m not expecting major numbers passing wise due to the lack of impact players at receiving but I think we’ve seen promise there. Simply need Cade or Sullivan to be consistent delivering the ball.
If we could average 200 yds rushing we'd be in serious business.

I hope Sullivan gets some legit PT on Saturday. I think he deserves a solid look...if he outperforms Cade, make the change.

Not Kirks MO so I won't hold my breath.

If we could average 200 yds rushing we'd be in serious business.

I hope Sullivan gets some legit PT on Saturday. I think he deserves a solid look...if he outperforms Cade, make the change.

Not Kirks MO so I won't hold my breath.
If Cade struggles again; we can start to have the conversation about whether Lester has the freedom to make the change like he’s had for the rest of the offense.

The above is how I feel. I may want a player pulled because he isn't getting the job done, but I don't dislike him just because there is someone better sitting on the bench who isn't in the game. Now if a starter sucks and he is the best available at that position, then that is 100% on the coach and not on the player. As you said, it all comes back to the coaches and their ability to assemble talent and execute a strategy. Kirk is pretty good in 2 out of 3 areas. Fans are justified in wondering why he liked to take a knee at the end of the first half, why he liked to punt from the opponents 35 yard line and why it upset him when his players "ran up the score". There is no such thing as running up the score. The offense has one job to do, SCORE POINTS. If the opponent's defense can't stop you, that's on them, not on you.
The job of the offense is to help the team win, by whatever means necessary

If Cade struggles again; we can start to have the conversation about whether Lester has the freedom to make the change like he’s had for the rest of the offense.
This is an important game for Cade. Troy isn’t going to be as salty on defense as they usually are, but they’re in the SunBelt, and that conference has some good athletes.

If Cade struggles and the offense sputters, the rumbling from the fans might be too loud to ignore. It was one thing last year when Cade got hurt and everything behind him was unproven. We were just trying our best to survive. This year, our backup is someone with significant experience in the Big Ten conference. With so much still to play for, I have to think the motivation behind a QB change is different this year.

Wow, lol.

No, Cade taking a knee would not be the same result as running into a loaded box. Taking a knee would result in a 4 yard loss at the very least. It could also get Cade clocked. When have you ever seen anyone do this?

I get the argument of being aggressive, but your backup plan is to lose yardage. It defeats your own argument that ISU was a threat to score. If so, why would you give them yardage by downing the ball for a loss?

This was Iowa's first time losing with a 10 point lead in the 2nd half since 2014. Running clock and putting it in the hands of the defense has been tried and true. Btw, ISU was in "the exact same position" on their previous drive and didn't score.

This is how football has been played for 150 years (even without a great defense). I get that some pro teams will throw in this situation at times these days. They have better skill players. Their opponents are a bigger threat if given the ball because they have better skill players. And most teams don't have a D as dominant (vs it's level of competition) as Iowa does.

I get that fans don't like how it turned out. But there just isn't any reason for KF to be getting beat up for playing it the way he did. Again, fans would also complain if Iowa lost because KF decided to pass and it resulted in a sack, INT, fumble, or incompletion to stop the clock
So the potential of a 4 yard loss is not worth potentially winning the game with the Offense on the field.

But, a definite 5 yard loss is worth it in order to burn 1 additional second of time off?

Something isn’t adding up there, is it.

Reactions: 83Hawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT