ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa is capable of playing respectable defense

EZ2BJZ

HB All-American
Feb 28, 2002
There are just too many possessions where 1-2 guys will take the possession off and play lackadaisical defense, namely sagging way off their man and going under screens, leading to wide open shots. About the only guys I saw trying to fight over screens at least half the time were Sandfort and Dix.

The effort just isn’t there consistently. OT proved Iowa can play respectable defense when they are motivated to.

Credit to Fran for adjusting the lineup in the second half. I really believe Sandfort and Dix were difference makers on the defensive end. They really kept Howard in check down the stretch.

There are just too many possessions where 1-2 guys will take the possession off and play lackadaisical defense, namely sagging way off their man and going under screens, leading to wide open shots. About the only guys I saw trying to fight over screens at least half the time were Sandfort and Dix.

The effort just isn’t there consistently. OT proved Iowa can play respectable defense when they are motivated to.

Credit to Fran for adjusting the lineup in the second half. I really believe Sandfort and Dix were difference makers on the defensive end. They really kept Howard in check down the stretch.
This likely was the difference in IA winning vs losing tonight IMO. The offensive flow with Dix was much better too. Sandy really took off after Dix came in and settled things down and hit a couple of big 3-balls late in the first half.

Reactions: Ronman and EZ2BJZ
Its token defense.

Its like the whole point is to get the possession over with without picking up a foul regardless of the quality of shot given up.

Those double teams on Dickenson were a joke. He was never uncomfortable for one second.

You can’t win in the long run trying to avoid fouls.

The teams that foul on every possession win in this league.

This likely was the difference in IA winning vs losing tonight IMO. The offensive flow with Dix was much better too. Sandy really took off after Dix came in and settled things down and hit a couple of big 3-balls late in the first half.
I like Dix (no homo) and think he needs more minutes.

He’s not a PG, though.

Somehow, someway, Fran is going to have to figure out how to get elevated play out of either Bowen or Ulis. PG play is holding this team back.

Oh, and I think Riley Mulvey deserves a shoutout. He didn’t look graceful running up and down the court, but he provided quality minutes tonight. Iowa needs that from him moving forward.

No idea why we continued to double Dickinson (late most of the time) and let him easily pass out for a wide open 3. We just seemed to have no real strategy most of the game. Honestly disagree OP, it’s kind of been proven over Frans entire time here we won’t (or can’t) play defense. This really isn’t a winning strategy the way we played tonight but it was fun to watch the last 2 minutes and OT.

No idea why we continued to double Dickinson (late most of the time) and let him easily pass out for a wide open 3. We just seemed to have no real strategy most of the game. Honestly disagree OP, it’s kind of been proven over Frans entire time here we won’t (or can’t) play defense. This really isn’t a winning strategy the way we played tonight but it was fun to watch the last 2 minutes and OT.
Its unserious cutesy change the defense every game throw shit at the wall and we'll outscore them bullshit.

Good teams in college play with the same defensive principles every game.

It pisses me off because this team is talented enough to do something in the tournament but it won't happen with this approach.

Reactions: EZ2BJZ and littlez
Its token defense.

Its like the whole point is to get the possession over with without picking up a foul regardless of the quality of shot given up.

Those double teams on Dickenson were a joke. He was never uncomfortable for one second.

Yeah the D wasn’t good tonight. Gave up 1.15 points/possession.

• Love
  • Sad
Reactions: KcTo and EZ2BJZ
Saw Connor kind of preaching at Perkins over his defense in the first half. Won't run into to many players as hot as Howard was tonight but Tony was really not playing good defense on him in the first half. We need Tony to shake off whatever is going on with him. He's a much better player than he showed tonight.

Reactions: HIWILLE and EZ2BJZ
Its token defense.

Well, Hunter only had 12 points on a handful of shots so I’d argue that vs him at least Iowa did what they wanted defensively.

Hunter is their leading scorer and they were clearly focused on not letting him control the paint. Unfortunately, that came at the expense of Jett having a career day.

Reactions: Ronman
Saw Connor kind of preaching at Perkins over his defense in the first half. Won't run into to many players as hot as Howard was tonight but Tony was really not playing good defense on him in the first half. We need Tony to shake off whatever is going on with him. He's a much better player than he showed tonight.
Howard was Connor's guy and he was out of his league. Would have liked to see Tony give it a try. Sandfort was better on Howard in the second half.

After Howard's second or third trey someone should have fouled him hard on his next one. Way too much rhythm and way too easy.

Last edited:
Howard was Connor's guy and he was out of his league. Would have liked to see Tony give it a try. Sandfort was better on Howard in the second half.

After Howard's second or third trey someone should have fouled him hard on his next one. Way too mich rhythm and way too easy.
Agree completely. I watched it again this morning. Wonder what connor was bsrking at Tony for.

Reactions: RocknRollface
No idea why we continued to double Dickinson (late most of the time) and let him easily pass out for a wide open 3.

One on one Dickinson was going to win in the post 90% of the time,.. whereas going into last night, Michigan was not noted as being a particularly great 3 point team.

Reactions: BBptg5
2016 was the last good defensive team, we haven't been ranked inside the top 75 of college basketball since that season.

Five guys that don’t make defensive mistakes, even if individually less defensively “talented” — give me that lineup every day and 69 times on sundays.

Five guys that don’t make defensive mistakes, even if individually less defensively “talented” — give me that lineup every day and 69 times on sundays.
It drives me crazy. As valuable as Connor is on the floor, he’s one of the worst offenders of playing lackadaisical defense.

That last 3 McDaniel made in regulation before Iowa made their comeback was pathetic defense. Connor sagged off McDaniel, went under a lazy screen, then made a half-assed attempt at closing out when the ball was already being released.

It drives me crazy. Fran doesn’t seem bothered, though, so whatever.

Reactions: RocknRollface
It drives me crazy. As valuable as Connor is on the floor, he’s one of the worst offenders of playing lackadaisical defense.

That last 3 McDaniel made in regulation before Iowa made their comeback was pathetic defense. Connor sagged off McDaniel, went under a lazy screen, then made a half-assed attempt at closing out when the ball was already being released.

It drives me crazy. Fran doesn’t seem bothered, though, so whatever.
What, you expect Fran to hold his son accountable for poor defensive effort?

That would probably be

Rebraca
Murray
Dix
Ummmm
Ummmm

Maybe Connor but he plays out of position so his “mistakes” are amplified.

Reactions: KcTo
Once Dix gets stronger with his rehabbed leg he and Sandfort will be sharp-shooters out on the perimeter! Throw in the younger Sandfort next season and let em fly!

Reactions: perryhawk

After Howard's second or third trey someone should have fouled him hard on his next one. Way too much rhythm and way too easy.
Yeah. If I recall it seemed like Fran took notice and had Kris on Howard in the second half when they went to man. Kris is a much better defender on quicker outside players.

That would probably be

Rebraca
Murray
Dix
Ummmm
Ummmm

Maybe Connor but he plays out of position so his “mistakes” are amplified.
I was referencing the lineup from last night. It worked because none of the guys fell asleep or overreacted or were trying to make plays rather than just keep the shit in front of them and stick to rotations and all that.

When I coached I liked having the five guys on the floor who communicated the most/best and who were just on the same damn page. And that’s how that lineup struck me last night. Maybe that guy from that “I was courtside at carver” thread can speak to how well that lineup communicated versus other lineups. Give me a sec I’ll tag his butt in here. Right after I finish tagging your mom’s butt.

Did you miss last night’s game. A couple of players were certainly held accountable for their performance on the D end. They didn’t play many minutes at all.
Yeah I noticed it certainly wasn't Connor who got benched for his poor defensive effort last night. Connor was guarding Howard in the first half and it didn't seem to bother Fran did it? I don't recall Connor getting benched for Horward going off in the first half.

Yeah I noticed it certainly wasn't Connor who got benched for his poor defensive effort last night. Connor was guarding Howard in the first half and it didn't seem to bother Fran did it? I don't recall Connor getting benched for Horward going off in the first half.
You do realize that one can play solid D, like not blow their assignments or rotations, and still get lit up by a guy who’s just feeling himself, right?

You do realize that one can play solid D, like not blow their assignments or rotations, and still get lit up by a guy who’s just feeling himself, right?
Howard made open shots in the first half. If a guy is making that many shots you get in his hip and don't leave him. Go watch Connors D in the first half and then the last 30 seconds on Howard. The last 30 seconds is how he should have been guarding him. Did you also notice they didn't make the shot in the last 30 seconds? It's amazing what happens to teams shooting when you actually play defense.

I like Dix (no homo) and think he needs more minutes.

He’s not a PG, though.

Somehow, someway, Fran is going to have to figure out how to get elevated play out of either Bowen or Ulis. PG play is holding this team back.

Oh, and I think Riley Mulvey deserves a shoutout. He didn’t look graceful running up and down the court, but he provided quality minutes tonight. Iowa needs that from him moving forward.
I think the problem is that Ulis has probably hit his ceiling and Bowen is too far away from his. If Perkins was playing like he's capable he's still probably the best option, but he's just not right for whatever reason.

I was referencing the lineup from last night. It worked because none of the guys fell asleep or overreacted or were trying to make plays rather than just keep the shit in front of them and stick to rotations and all that.

When I coached I liked having the five guys on the floor who communicated the most/best and who were just on the same damn page. And that’s how that lineup struck me last night. Maybe that guy from that “I was courtside at carver” thread can speak to how well that lineup communicated versus other lineups. Give me a sec I’ll tag his butt in here. Right after I finish tagging your mom’s butt.
I agree that the main lineup used last night communicated very well. The problem with this team, and many of Fran teams, entirely lies with the backcourt. Mainly with consistency and reliability.

Let’s look at Tony, for example. We know he can’t be productive on both ends of the floor. He can be a lock down defender. However this year his offensive woes have him totally fooked in the head, to the point where he stops hustling down the floor. He looks/acts like he has checked out. Hence the reduced minutes.

If he can figure it out, and Sandfort hits around 40% of his 3s, this becomes a very dangerous team. Murray and Rebraca are going to do what they do. Iowa needs a scorer who can slash, drive, and finish.

Reactions: Rudolph
I agree that the main lineup used last night communicated very well. The problem with this team, and many of Fran teams, entirely lies with the backcourt. Mainly with consistency and reliability.

Let’s look at Tony, for example. We know he can’t be productive on both ends of the floor. He can be a lock down defender. However this year his offensive woes have him totally fooked in the head, to the point where he stops hustling down the floor. He looks/acts like he has checked out. Hence the reduced minutes.

If he can figure it out, and Sandfort hits around 40% of his 3s, this becomes a very dangerous team. Murray and Rebraca are going to do what they do. Iowa needs a scorer who can slash, drive, and finish.
I agree wholeheartedly with that last statement. Having a guard that can break down a defense and finish is huge when you have scorers like Kris, Rebraca, and Sandfort available to dish off to. It's a deadly combination offensively. Perkins and Ulis both have the ability to break down the defense, but then all too often fail to take advantage of it by throwing up an ill-advised off balance shot that has very little probability of going in. This is why they have the worst 2 point %'s on the team. Ulis in particular is a poor finisher and neither one is making very good decisions with the ball in the key. Bowen might be the best slasher/finisher of the 3 but his decision making isn't there yet either.

No, I'm not. Nobody on the Iowa team is held accountable for not playing defense. It's not Fran's philosophy and never has been.

Tony was benched because he couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat and turned the ball over twice in his limited minutes.
Yep. Players get pulled quickly for turnovers. Not so much for defensive lapses.

Both Dix and McCaffery pointed out that Josh played PG in HS and was comfortable there.

And for the record (is there a record?) I want Connor on the floor as much as possible, especially when we are playing the younger players.

Last edited:
Reactions: perryhawk
Both Dix and McCaffery pointed out that John played PG in HS and was comfortable there.

And for the record (is there a record?) I want Connor on the floor as much as possible, especially when we are playing the younger players.
He's looked like a veteran every time he's been out there. Very impressive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT