ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Men 17th in the B1G next year???

That’s about right. Our roster is very pedestrian compared to most of the league. No dance and 15 losses. The Panera Express continues rolling down the track!
Brought in a couple of transfers that are what you have been asking for and still can't be even a little bit positive. It must suck to be you, as if we didn't already know it.

I would give Fran a more than respectable 6 or 7 out of 10 on regular season performance (you have to ignore the first year after the prior disaster), but Fran is a pathetic 1 out of 10 in the dance. Except for one year, Iowa has also been a failure in the BTT.
Thus my comment about blind resume and sticking at a power conference program for 14 years. I can see a 6 of 10 for regular season. But it's the lack of anything significant post season for that many years which would lead to most power conference coaches getting the axe by now.

That’s about right. Our roster is very pedestrian compared to most of the league. No dance and 15 losses. The Panera Express continues rolling down the track!
His list is wack for more than just the Iowa placement.

Iowa is not missing the cut for the first 18 team BTT. That's not going to happen. We all know that.

Michigan will finish a lot higher than 16. If they land jamir Watkins, a lot, lot higher.

Indiana will finish higher than 11, and USC is too low at 15.

Wisconsin will finish significantly lower than 3d, and I doubt very much that Illinois finishes in the top 4. Minnesota and Penn State will be 17 or 18.

The addition of our formerly pac12 brothers really will throw an interesting twist into the season. Imagine a regular season title decided by an upset in Seattle at 12 am central time....

Last edited:
Thus my comment about blind resume and sticking at a power conference program for 14 years. I can see a 6 of 10 for regular season. But it's the lack of anything significant post season for that many years which would lead to most power conference coaches getting the axe by now.

Aw shucks, we have low self esteem and are thrilled to never have coaches leave

Don’t be bad and you will make bank!

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
His list is wack for more than just the Iowa placement.

Iowa is not missing the cut for the first 18 team BTT. That's not going to happen. We all know that.

Michigan will finish a lot higher than 16. If they land jamir Watkins, a lot, lot higher.

Indiana will finish higher than 11, and USC is too low at 15.

Wisconsin will finish significantly lower than 3d, and I doubt very much that Illinois finishes in the top 4. Minnesota and Penn State will be 17 or 18.

The addition of our formerly pac12 brothers really will throw an interesting twist into the season. Imagine a regular season title decided by an upset in Seattle at 12 am central time....
Predicting upcoming years has become much more of a crap shoot than pre-NIL and portal chaos. Just because you get some highly regarded transfers in, does not mean that team will jell into a good team. For example, how many fans, even IU fans, really have confidence that Mike Woodson can coach...

I think Iowa got a couple of portal additions that can help them be a more complete team. I especially like that Thelwell was the leader on a very successful team. Leadership on and off the court is often overlooked as important to success. Traore seems to have athleticism and talent, and was an especially important addition when it wasn't certain Payton would be back. Iowa has a very nice young core returning, and that isn't the case for most of the B1G, who had more coming and going in the portal. I think having guys who have had time together, should make it easier to play well as a team. As I have said over and over, this team has more balance--shooting/ athleticism, offense/defense, interior/mid-range/outside--than Fran has had. Whether he can put that together and actually play all aspects of the game (not just shooting) well, remains to be seen. An injury to a guard or Freeman would make it much more difficult.

Predicting upcoming years has become much more of a crap shoot than pre-NIL and portal chaos. Just because you get some highly regarded transfers in, does not mean that team will jell into a good team. For example, how many fans, even IU fans, really have confidence that Mike Woodson can coach...

I think Iowa got a couple of portal additions that can help them be a more complete team. I especially like that Thelwell was the leader on a very successful team. Leadership on and off the court is often overlooked as important to success. Traore seems to have athleticism and talent, and was an especially important addition when it wasn't certain Payton would be back. Iowa has a very nice young core returning, and that isn't the case for most of the B1G, who had more coming and going in the portal. I think having guys who have had time together, should make it easier to play well as a team. As I have said over and over, this team has more balance--shooting/ athleticism, offense/defense, interior/mid-range/outside--than Fran has had. Whether he can put that together and actually play all aspects of the game (not just shooting) well, remains to be seen. An injury to a guard or Freeman would make it much more difficult.
Really not sold on either of our transfers but I think Fran has earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to player evaluations.

If he thinks they'll be effective, it's more likely than not that they'll be effective.

We'll just have to see when they go live.

Really not sold on either of our transfers but I think Fran has earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to player evaluations.

If he thinks they'll be effective, it's more likely than not that they'll be effective.

We'll just have to see when they go live.
I think you are less positive about what is returning on the team than I am. Payton, Freeman and Dix are top 20 players in the B1G, and the other players returning have shown that they definitely have the potential to be much better, if given playing time. I am especially high on Dembele, who I think is going to be a great interior defender and rebounder, and he also has a nice looking shot. In the last couple of years, Fran actually has recruited some guys who like to play defense and rebound. Whether that will develop into a more well-rounded team than we have seen remains to be seen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT