ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa now 7th in total cases / 1 million population*...

See the RED type?

That's what is called a "subset".

The data is not a subset. I can 100% guarantee you that they are not breaking out this case data by individual school district. They are using overall county data rates and applying it to the school districts in that county.
They do not map these positive case addresses against a school district map layer. You are 100% wrong
Again.

Reactions: Run&Blade
A large percentage of the state will become infected. How many are required before herd immunity is in question. How and when this percentage is met will vary from state to state so one could easily cherry pick moments in time and highlight these moments. As far as I am concerned, with no vaccine available and therapeutics improving, 20% positive cases simply means those counties are that much closer to herd immunity. Because COVID gonna COVID. Or so it seems. Because the argument of many in here seems to be we can hold this off. We cannot. Quite obviously as many states, and Europe, have shown recently.

The arguments seem to be that when we shut down, cases drop, and then when we open up as cases increase. Right?

So I say to people on this side, If that’s the case, the only argument one can make reasonably is that we shut down indefinitely until a vaccine is available. But yet, they don’t seem to want to make that argument in the open.
Turd immunity...

Derpity derp derp

Not an anti masker, but my wife wears hers religiously and got it last week. Her and the kids leave the house with them on everyday. Masks are required for everyone at her school and ten staff members were out this past week with it. Almost all of them work in the same area of the building. Masks certainly don't hurt things but in the end they aren't going to stop it.

I've got Covid now. Very interesting how symptoms are so different for different people. She never gets sick with anything and was absolutely wiped out by it for over a week. I catch everything and basically have had a mild sinus infection.

Not an anti masker, but my wife wears hers religiously and got it last week. Her and the kids leave the house with them on everyday. Masks are required for everyone at her school and ten staff members were out this past week with it. Almost all of them work in the same area of the building. Masks certainly don't hurt things but in the end they aren't going to stop it.

I've got Covid now. Very interesting how symptoms are so different for different people. She never gets sick with anything and was absolutely wiped out by it for over a week. I catch everything and basically have had a mild sinus infection.
Do you think your heart has swollen?

If someone would have told me back in March that Iowa would still be having daily double digit deaths from Covid well into October, I would have said..."No Way". Record hospitalizations and nearly 60 LTC outbreaks with no end in sight.

Yeah, trusting Iowans to do the right thing might not have been such a good approach. And nearly 50% of the positives are Iowans <40 years old.

What really blows my mind is how many IC residents , UI staff, and UI students were at Sturgis. Obviously this article dated August 26 proves that students going back to school had little to do with the uptick in Iowa cases. It had to be Sturgis because, you know, two weeks.

But don’t let me get in the way of your political pissing match.

Yes....those UI students SURE did a number on North and South Dakota, didn't they? :rolleyes:

The data is not a subset. I can 100% guarantee you that they are not breaking out this case data by individual school district.
Your source LITERALLY says it is "school district data"

I linked the general data for you.

I’m sure you have a learned scientific basis for that opinion right?

FUNFACT: There is not a single disease humanity has eliminated via "herd immunity". All that have been controlled or eliminated, have been accomplished through vaccines.

Yes....those UI students SURE did a number on North and South Dakota, didn't they? :rolleyes:

So you argue about the Iowa numbers through the entire thread and specifically blame the uptick on Sturgis. Then, when you get called out in your BS, you move the goalposts to SD and ND? (Perhaps you should take a close look at SDs numbers)

Fun fact, it’s why everyone in this board makes fun of you.

I know more than 20 people who have had it. Over half have been over the age of 55. Not a single hospitalization. Hospitals still get kick backs from marking Covid as reason for death. That’s why they go searching after death. I do wear a mask because it’s not that hard but excuse me if I’m not gonna get too worried about this thing.

Sorry to hear that. Hope everyone is feeling better soon

So you argue about the Iowa numbers through the entire thread and specifically blame the uptick on Sturgis.

The entire upper Midwest has seen upticks around that same time.
BEFORE the bumps from schools would have been evident.

The whole marking deaths as covid at hospitals for $$$ is one of the dumbest right wing arguments I cringe when I see people use it with such passion.

I also cringe just as much when I hear left wing arguments of sturgis but apparently there was some immunity bubble around rallies, riots and looting that went on for months.

Reactions: MikeyHawk
I also cringe just as much when I hear left wing arguments of sturgis but apparently there was some immunity bubble around rallies, riots and looting that went on for months.

That's literally the point. DURING all of those other events, case counts didn't uniformly climb everywhere.

You can CLEARLY see the inflection points after Sturgis in SD and ND, and in other states nearby. Now, students returning has amplified that - no doubt at all. But those increases were seen a few weeks later.

That's literally the point. DURING all of those other events, case counts didn't uniformly climb everywhere.

You can CLEARLY see the inflection points after Sturgis in SD and ND, and in other states nearby. Now, students returning has amplified that - no doubt at all. But those increases were seen a few weeks later.
So if one concedes the sturgis point to you , will you say it is a bad idea to rally, riot, loot in the streets for months on end during a pandemic? Or because they were fighting a liberal cause it makes it alright?

Do you even think there is a tiny chance that schools opening have caused the spike ??? Or is it 100% sturgis fault for everything?

So if one concedes the sturgis point to you , will you say it is a bad idea to rally, riot, loot in the streets for months on end during a pandemic?

I've said that from the beginning.

And Sturgis was a "spark point" that allowed lots of other outbreaks across wider areas.
College kids took the ball and ran with it from there. In no way am I claiming colleges and schools are not ALSO responsible for the runups. However, the spikes seen in late August were based on activities that occurred in early August. People really seem to have trouble understanding those delays.

I pointed those out back in March, when I explained that EVEN AFTER we started shutting things down, we were going to see another week or two of uncontrolled increases (we did) and then another week before the deaths numbers also slowed (again, that was also the case).

I've said that from the beginning.

And Sturgis was a "spark point" that allowed lots of other outbreaks across wider areas.
College kids took the ball and ran with it from there. In no way am I claiming colleges and schools are not ALSO responsible for the runups. However, the spikes seen in late August were based on activities that occurred in early August. People really seem to have trouble understanding those delays.

I pointed those out back in March, when I explained that EVEN AFTER we started shutting things down, we were going to see another week or two of uncontrolled increases (we did) and then another week before the deaths numbers also slowed (again, that was also the case).
Thanks for the decent response- , believe it or not, I have not followed every diatribe you have went on.

Unfortunately, I no longer see the will of the people to take any further action to stop or slow the spread other than the fine shoppers at Wal Mart.

My wife won’t let me go to Vegas with the fellas in November and is questioning my decision start up in a poker game next week. Groups of less than 10 right?

Kewl, but the overall hospitalizations (7 day running average) has gone from:

305 (Aug 31)
347 (Sept 30)
443 (Now)

Maybe UnityPoint isn't taking in many patients, because they don't have the facilities for the influx.
https://covidactnow.org/us/ia/compare/2309?s=1137258

No, that’s not it. They have general capacity, and an entire flex wing available.

I mean, I know you are all about #science, but hospitals budget for a particular average census. I’ll let you, mr scientist, decide how this could affect the Covid-related admissions in various regions.

The virus is all over the place. I go to 3 different buildings to work and it is in all of them. It was inside my house Thursday and probably still there. My wife, no pic, had a few co-workers over on Thursday. Friday morning one of them was sick. Tested positive yesterday. We'll see what happens I guess.

Yes...the school my kids (3 one in elementary, middle, and HS) go to (smaller in W IA) have seemed to have 1-2 new positives per week in the student population. Oddly my son came in the other day (he made travel squad for FB playoffs...he’s a Frosh) and said that the seniors/juniors are telling players that if they get sick to not get a test or they will “get their ass beat” as it could result in the end of the season (we’ve had some games in the area shit down). I then had to have a talk with him about what real integrity is and what it means. He’s 15, I don’t think much sinks in right now, lol.

My wife works at BellWest in Bellevue, they had 6 kids and a teacher test positive just this week. Also all of our kids are extremely active. Only a matter of time before this shows up in our home. I’ve considered just getting tested every week just so we know if/when it does. We currently have a hand full of friends either positive or in quarantine. I figured if we all get tested every few weeks and know about it then we won’t have to quarantine for at least 12 weeks if we are exposed according to guidelines to someone who has it.

We also have had kids sent home bc of symptoms of C19 one day only to come back the next without getting tested bc mom/dad called in to complain...some are coaches kids. Administration has zero balls to stand up to the townie parents who thinks its “just the flu” or “no big deal”. To a certain extent they are right, it isn’t a big deal until you know someone who reacts poorly to the virus.

Reactions: MitchLL
News reports have now surfaced that patients in France have caught Covid a second time with one patient dying.

And so much for Merica having a second wave. This inept WH hasn't gotten control of the first wave. Maybe that's the virus strategy... forget the vaccine... just let everyone contract covid.

FUNFACT: There is not a single disease humanity has eliminated via "herd immunity". All that have been controlled or eliminated, have been accomplished through vaccines.
Who said eliminated?

When

a vaccine is available I am all for it. sign me up.

It is possible that one won’t be though. Or won’t be very effective.

If that’s the case we have no options but natural herd immunity. People need to prepare for that possibility.

The WHO recently came out against shutdowns Joe. Now what? I mean it’s easy to be for shutdowns while collecting a SS check and living in your basement. But the rest of us doing useful work need to be working.

Reactions: 1inamillion
You can wear a mask all day, even at home, and stay away from everyone if you’d like.
No one is stopping you.
The rest of us will decide the level of risk we’re willing to accept to live our lives as best we can.

Reactions: haw-key
News reports have now surfaced that patients in France have caught Covid a second time with one patient dying.

And so much for Merica having a second wave. This inept WH hasn't gotten control of the first wave. Maybe that's the virus strategy... forget the vaccine... just let everyone contract covid.
Link?

No Government can protect people from themselves if they don’t want to comply. Especially not in America.

No, that’s not it. They have general capacity, and an entire flex wing available.

Perhaps the strategy of keeping SOME hospitals mostly Covid-free (akin to setting up separate facilities) is a TACTIC to lower overall costs and limit spread within hospitals.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT