ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa political leaders react to Trump verdict in hush-money trial

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Republicans deplorable as was expected:

Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds, Republican​

“America saw this trial for what it was, a sham. For years, Democrats like Alvin Bragg have been trying to put President Trump in jail with complete disregard for our democracy and the will of the American people. The only verdict that matters is the one at the ballot box in November where the American people will elect President Trump again.”

Iowa Attorney General Brenna Bird, Republican​

“Today is a dark day in American history. Case in point why politics should have absolutely no place in prosecutions. The American people, not a court, should decide who the next leader of the free world will be. President (Trump) deserves better.”

Iowa Attorney General Brenna Bird speaks May 13 in New York City against the prosecution of former President Donald Trump. (Associated Press) Iowa Attorney General Brenna Bird speaks May 13 in New York City against the prosecution of former President Donald Trump. (Associated Press)

U.S. Rep. Ashley Hinson, Republican​

“This is a disgrace and a total sham. This has been a political prosecution. from the very beginning orchestrated by Biden. President Trump will fight this. and we must all fight alongside him to right this wrong & re-elect him as President. The future of our country depends on it.”

Jeff Kaufmann, Iowa GOP chairman​

Kaufmann said the trial was orchestrated by Democrats “terrified of President Trump returning to the White House.”

“The Democrat Party is lost as we know it, to the point of no return. This decision is a disgrace to the rule of law. It's disgusting they are mobilizing the federal government for political gain. With sentencing scheduled right before the GOP Convention in Milwaukee, the corruption and malice is as prevalent as ever here. Shameful.”

U.S. Sen. Joni Ernst, Republican​

“This was never about justice. It was always about politics,” Ernst posted on her official office account. “Americans see through Democrats’ weaponization of our justice system and this sham trial as a desperate attempt to persecute Trump and block his re-election.”

On her personal account on X, formerly Twitter: “These unprecedented politicized courtroom tactics prove Democrats are running scared ahead of this November. Iowans are SICK of the political persecution of Donald J. Trump.”

U.S. Sen. Chuck Grassley, Republican​

The jury’s unanimous verdict is “another example of leftist activist prosecutors weaponizing the judicial system to carry out their political vendettas. I expect the case to be overturned on appeal.”

U.S. Rep. Randy Feenstra, Republican​

“Our justice system should not be used to target political opponents. The American people decide our elections.”

Iowa Auditor Rob Sand, Democrat​

“In seven years as an (Iowa) Assistant Attorney General, I found juries in both liberal and conservative counties took the work seriously and tried to do right. Jurors deserve our thanks and respect.”

Iowa Democratic Party​

The Iowa Democratic Party shared a statement from Michael Tyler from the Biden-Harris campaign, declaring the ruling as a confirmation that “no one is above the law.”

“Donald Trump has always mistakenly believed he would never face consequences for breaking the law for his own personal gain. But today’s verdict does not change the fact that the American people face a simple reality. There is still only one way to keep Donald Trump out of the Oval Office: at the ballot box. Convicted felon or not, Trump will be the Republican nominee for president.”

The statement said Trump poses a threat to U.S. democracy, running “an increasingly unhinged campaign of revenge and retribution.”

“A second Trump term means chaos, ripping away Americans’ freedoms and fomenting political violence — and the American people will reject it this November.”

• Angry
Reactions: nelly02

US Rep. Mariannette Miller-Meeks: 'Sham trial'​

U.S. Rep. Mariannette Miller-Meeks, a Republican who represents the 1st Congressional District in southeast Iowa, said the case sets a dangerous precedent.

"Radical Democrat prosecutors yet again set a dangerous precedent today after this sham trial," she said on social media. "This was a travesty and a blatant weaponization of our judicial system. The American people see this for what it is and they will remember in November."

US Rep. Zach Nunn: 'The United States shouldn't have a two-tiered justice system'​

U.S. Rep. Zach Nunn, a Republican who represents the 3rd Congressional District in central and southern Iowa, said Americans would have the chance to make their voices heard on Election Day.

"The United States shouldn't have a two-tiered justice system," Nunn said in a statement shared on social media. "It's simple: The law must be fairly and equally applied, not used to target political opponents. As a veteran, these are the rights that we are guaranteed in America that I fought to protect. The American people will have the final say on Election Day."

Progress Iowa: 'Stop covering for Trump'​

Progress Iowa Executive Director Matt Sinovic praised the jury's decision and condemned Iowa Republicans for continuing to stand with Trump.

“Today’s ruling proves that in America, no one is above the law. Including former presidents," he said in the statement. "After months of attempting to dodge his day in court, a jury of Americans decided to convict Donald Trump. Gov. Kim Reynolds and Iowa Republicans have consistently sided with Trump even as evidence mounted against him. After today’s verdict, it’s time they stop covering for Trump, now a convicted felon, and finally stand up for the rule of law and the everyday Americans on the jury who found Trump guilty.”

Iowa Democratic Party Chair Rita Hart: 'No one is above the law'​

"Today, a jury of his peers showed the nation that no one is above the law, not even Donald Trump," Iowa Democratic Party Chair Rita Hart said in a statement.

"Voting is the only way to keep Trump out of office," she added, encouraging Iowans to get involved with the Iowa Democratic Party and make a plan to vote by visiting the party's website.

A unanimous jury felt otherwise.

Why does the GOP hate average citizens doing a difficult but essential job?
Dammit, we keep saying the same things day after day.

giphy.gif

A unanimous jury felt otherwise.

Why does the GOP hate average citizens doing a difficult but essential job?
If I go find 12 people I hang out with out here in the sticks do you think they are going to represent your beliefs real well? Are either of you less American because of that?

35 million, that's some serious cash.

You are a smart man Rocky. There will be people who do nor vote for trump because of this, there will be people that vote for him now because of this. The "the man is out to get me" crowd, formerly anti establishment dems. How those numbers break down, I don't know. I think Ciggy posted on them yesterday and either way it was a gain for Trump, that was prior to the 35 million.

If I go find 12 people I hang out with out here in the sticks do you think they are going to represent your beliefs real well? Are either of you less American because of that?

You are a smart man Rocky. There will be people who do nor vote for trump because of this, there will be people that vote for him now because of this. The "the man is out to get me" crowd, formerly anti establishment dems. How those numbers break down, I don't know. I think Ciggy posted on them yesterday and either way it was a gain for Trump, that was prior to the 35 million.
If I’m a wealthy billionaire and commit a state crime in rural Iowa I should be held to account by 12 people from rural Iowa - even if none of them are billionaires. If I’m a pauper and commit a state crime in New York City I should be held to account by 12 people from NYC even if they are billionaires.

Peerage is not defined by wealth, race, gender, orientation, or the size of one’s hand in a parking lot photo. It is defined by citizenship and residency. If you don’t like that…what is it the 2A nuts always say…amend the constitution.

Here's how stupid these people are...if they had found a crime with Hillary, Democrats would be agreeing with them. If they could actually find a crime with Biden or his son, Democrats would want Biden to resign and him or his kid locked up. MAGAs can't say the same thing about their guy. Party of law and order.

They are basically begging for an autocracy.

If I’m a wealthy billionaire and commit a state crime in rural Iowa I should be held to account by 12 people from rural Iowa - even if none of them are billionaires. If I’m a pauper and commit a state crime in New York City I should be held to account by 12 people from NYC even if they are billionaires.

Peerage is not defined by wealth, race, gender, orientation, or the size of one’s hand in a parking lot photo. It is defined by citizenship and residency. If you don’t like that…what is it the 2A nuts always say…amend the constitution.
See that "are either of you less American because of that". That was what I was saying.

Whiskey…..Fool’s and their money are soon parted.

Curious which Mississippi North Republican coordinated the mass tweet fest?

Funny as hell.
Predictable as hell and also points out an obvious failing of the Dems. Lack of a coordinated and unified messaging. Rinse and repeat. Republicans fall in line with the same voice, no matter how absurd it appears.

Reactions: MitchLL
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT