ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Property Taxes

beanerhawk

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Dec 12, 2001
Just got my statement yesterday and went up $336 this year. That's the third year in a row it's jumped up. Live in Linn County. It's just none stop the last 3 years. Anyhow.. csb/

Just got my statement yesterday and went up $336 this year. That's the third year in a row it's jumped up. Live in Linn County. It's just none stop the last 3 years. Anyhow.. csb/
Does that surprise you?

I don't know what % that is of course. But everything local government does has cost more in the last couple of years, just like for every other American.

Linn County is a nice place to live, in part because we have pretty good government services. Streets, parks, fire and police, public schools - I have no complaints.

Reactions: beanerhawk
Does that surprise you?

I don't know what % that is of course. But everything local government does has cost more in the last couple of years, just like for every other American.

Linn County is a nice place to live, in part because we have pretty good government services. Streets, parks, fire and police, public schools - I have no complaints.
I wouldn't say it surprises me, but we bought this house in June 2020. And in that time they have gone up $876. I can say I wasn't expecting that.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Does that surprise you?

So roughly 14% is what it's gone up since buying the house in 2020.

As stated...when Terrace Hill eliminated some State taxes assessed, that revenue has to be made up somewhere else.

Dim Kim can fool some people all the time while others realize what she's doing.

• Haha
Reactions: 83Hawk
Yeah, that's a lot.

So, part of that is likely the valuation. Has your house value gone up by as much as the increased valuation?
I'd say it has. I think the issue is my neighbor and the house across the street from them sold with in the year of me moving in. Both are some what similar to my home in size and both sold for quite a bit more then I bought my house for. We're talking close to 20% more.

A couple of years ago Johnston passed a sales tax increase from 6 to 7% (whenever they want to increase a tax it keeps getting put up for a vote until it finally passes). We were told of all the wonderful benefits, and how it would provide "property tax relief".....I tried telling people that was a lie, and their property tax would not go down. Sure enough, people's property tax has continued to increase at a record number and folks are not happy.

Reactions: OutbackBowl2017
A couple of years ago Johnston passed a sales tax increase from 6 to 7% (whenever they want to increase a tax it keeps getting put up for a vote until it finally passes). We were told of all the wonderful benefits, and how it would provide "property tax relief".....I tried telling people that was a lie, and their property tax would not go down. Sure enough, people's property tax has continued to increase at a record number and folks are not happy.
As you know, Your property tax is based on a number of factors. Johnston, could have in fact reduced their tax levy, or increased it less than they otherwise would have because of the local option sales tax. I'm sure you can do you own research to find out, or contact your local city administration and ask.

For example, Iowa City reduced their tax levy for something like 12 years in a row but my overall property taxes still increased.

Govern me harder!

Maybe. I'll have to ask women what they think about the governing and their reproductive rights to see what they think about your proposal.

Also, just for you on this topic. More signs!

Screenshot-2023-08-30-092959.png

Screenshot-2023-08-30-093011.png

Maybe. I'll have to ask women what they think about the governing and their reproductive rights to see what they think about your proposal.

Also, just for you on this topic. More signs!

Screenshot-2023-08-30-092959.png

Screenshot-2023-08-30-093011.png

Still posting signs that don't say what you're pretending they say.

• Love
Reactions: Hawki97
Lol…I live in Johnston. My property taxes went down about 12% this year from last.

I've lived in my trailer trash for 19 years...has not changed one single penny the entire time (CR/Linn Co.).

Sorry to hear about the unexpected increase in your statement. I get how frustrating that can be, especially when it keeps happening year after year. It's like a never-ending cycle, right? I remember a similar situation a while back. My friend was in a pinch and needed to sell their flat fast. They stumbled upon this fantastic service that not only made the process super smooth but also got them a great deal at https://www.thepropertybuyingcompany.co.uk/sell-flat-fast. It might be just what you need to break the cycle.

Last edited:
Reactions: goldmom
Not Iowa but close enough. In 2020 our property taxes were just under $3900. By 2023 they had gone up to $5300. However, based on similar properties that sold in 2020 the actual value of our house was probably around $260-270k. By 2022 had gone up to about $325k. We are under contract at $385k. We have spent about $50k in work on the house and that is with us (my husband) doing the bulk of the work. But the way prices have increased is insane.

Reactions: goldmom
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT