ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Republicans back U.S. Rep. Jim Jordan for speaker

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Iowa's all-Republican U.S. House delegation kept to the party line Tuesday and voted for U.S. Rep. Jim Jordan for speaker even as 20 House Republicans voted for others in protest and denied him the gavel in the first round of voting.

Jordan, R-Ohio, the far-right co-founder of the House Freedom Caucus, won the vast majority of Republican votes for speaker in the first vote but was not able to reach the majority vote necessary to become speaker. The House will reconvene at 10 a.m. Iowa time Wednesday to hold another speaker vote.

"I support (Jim Jordan) for Speaker," Rep. Ashley Hinson, who represents Northeast Iowa's 2nd Congressional District, said Tuesday on X, formerly known as Twitter. "We spoke last week about our shared conservative priorities and the needs of Iowans, and I am confident he will advance both."

Without a change in rules, the House cannot pass legislation or budget appropriations until a speaker is elected, and a stopgap funding bill passed last month expires Nov. 17.

Hinson, U.S. Rep. Mariannette Miller-Meeks of Iowa's 1st Congressional District, U.S. Rep. Zach Nunn of the 3rd District and U.S. Rep. Randy Feenstra of the 4th District all voted Tuesday to support Jordan.

In an interview Tuesday afternoon, Miller-Meeks did not say if she would vote for Jordan in subsequent rounds, but she said she wanted Speaker Pro Tem Patrick McHenry, R-N.C., to bring the House back in session.

"Mr. Jordan did not have the votes, and going forward, people are asking what will happen," she said. "Certainly I think he is using this time to whip votes. … But I joined a contingent of Republicans asking that the House immediately reopen."

Miller-Meeks said she had reservations about Jordan that included his past opposition to the Farm Bill and biofuel subsidies, as well as pressure tactics used by Jordan allies to whip votes. But she said those reservations were addressed and she honored her commitment to vote for the winner of a closed-door conference vote last week.

Miller-Meeks said she would not negotiate with Democrats for speaker, but she said the House could pass a resolution to empower McHenry, who currently lacks significant power, to carry out House business until a speaker is chosen.

On Iowa Politics​

Newsletter Signup
checkmark-yellow.png
Legislative & Politics News Delivered to your inbox each weekday

Miller-Meeks faces a re-election challenge from former state Rep. Christina Bohannan, and her district is seen as a competitive by the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee.

"Not shocking that (Miller-Meeks) has fallen in line to vote for an election denier & man who spearheaded a national abortion ban with no exceptions," Bohannan wrote on X. "A man who’s opposed every Farm Bill that’s come before him. Her agenda has nothing to do with governing or representing Iowans."

Jordan was one of dozens of Republicans who rejected the 2020 election results from two states based on claims of fraud from former President Donald Trump's campaign.

"I voted to certify all the electors. That's where I am on that issue," Miller-Meeks said when asked about Jordan's actions. "I do think that election integrity and voter integrity is very important."

Nunn, who flipped his competitive district in 2022 and is also likely to face a tough re-election campaign, said Saturday he would support Jordan to “make sure we have a speaker who is committed to moving the important things forward that are happening in the world right now."

Feenstra, whose Northwest Iowa district is the most heavily Republican in the state, said Monday on X he would support Jordan.

"I spoke to Rep. (Jim Jordan) over the weekend and let him know that he has my support for Speaker," Feenstra said in a post. "We must stop Biden’s radical agenda, secure our border, and stand up for Israel!"

Hinson's office said she believes the conference must unite and govern. And that if Jordan is not able to get the necessary votes, Hinson supports temporarily empowering Speaker Pro Temp Patrick McHenry to move key legislation.

Hinson's office also said no matter who is elected speaker, she will continue to champion Iowa agriculture and other state priorities in Congress, working with both Republicans and Democrats to do so.

Iowa Democratic Party Chair Rita Hart said in a statement Monday that a vote for Jordan would harm Iowa's farmers and economy. Jordan has not voted for any Farm Bill, a major agriculture package passed every five years, during his time in Congress.

"With a looming shutdown and less than 3 months until Iowa farmers begin feeling the serious effects of the farm bill expiring, the next speaker needs to be someone that can work bipartisanly and legislate — something Jim Jordan has never done," Hart said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT