ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Softball 2021-2022 Season

They tried rotating the three outfielders. They have played solidly for 1 1/2 seasons. It’s difficult trying to learn the flight of the ball in a different field over night. I feel bad for these girls. All three are top notch kids.
I know you are a former player’s parent. Can you give us your honest opinion as to what is going on? I was so excited with the new coach, but I am beginning to lose faith. Something seems really wrong—has she lost the team?

I’m not sure how much I feel comfortable sharing. I know a lot of people had there opinion of Looper and Coach B. You will not hear me say anything negative about them. As a parent I appreciated how my daughter was treated. Her sophomore year was her best year. They did a great job of installing confidence in her. Her whole career was beyond what she/we could of hoped for.
I’ve seen the current staff swap out the whole infield. Also many players don’t finish there careers here. Don’t want to share everything I know/believe obviously.
I want to continue supporting the team. These girls are seriously such awesome young ladies. As are their parents. Go Hawks!!!

Last edited:
I’m not sure how much I feel comfortable sharing. I know a lot of people had there opinion of Looper and Coach B. You will not hear me say anything negative about them. As a parent I appreciated how my daughter was treated. Her sophomore year was her best year. They did a great job of installing confidence in her. Her whole career was beyond what she/we could of hoped for.
I’ve seen the current staff swap out the whole infield. Also many players don’t finish there careers here. Don’t want to share everything I know/believe obviously.
I want to continue supporting the team. These girls are seriously such awesome young ladies. As are their parents. Go Hawks!!!
Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts. I have some suspicions of my own,

I thought you would understand. I don’t want to betray my daughter, girls, or parents that share what is going on.

I want to thank Moss for keeping us posted as well. I know he is in a difficult spot as well. I have also heard nothing but great things about him and his wife, as far as being awesome team parents. I hope they enjoy that side of it, as much as my wife, family, and I did.

There are truly many awesome people associated with the program. Including many of the behind the seems people. we were able to meet so many great managers, trainers, and other support staff that made our experience so special. Hopefully the coaches and girls can get things headed in the right direction.

Hopefully this all makes sense. Obviously grammar is not my thing.
Anyway let’s get it done today Hawks!!!

Reactions: MossHawk6
I am not sure exactly what the story is with those two. But that is a example of what this Iowa team is up against. We are extremely young, and a lot of these other teams have super seniors that are helping those teams so much. This team looks a lot different with Shaw and Lehman, not only on the field, but senior leadership as well.
Watching for afar, it is hard to point to a leader on this team. That's tough when things start to go south. Seniority helps, but isn't a requirement. Worse, it looks like some players get down on themselves quick. That can bring other players down, and it snowballs. They're snowballing right now for sure!

That was a nice come back win by the Hawks. The Hawks definitely show a lot of fight. Greer did a great job of coming in an shutting them down for 5+ innings. Burns two bombs. I know we shouldn’t question anything after a win, but sac bunting Burns being down 8-4. Think I remembering that right.
Anyway, great win! Let’s get two more.

Not many SB wins over the Gophers in the last several years. I recall we did beat them in a B10 tournament game in Minneapolis, which was mighty sweet

That was a nice come back win by the Hawks. The Hawks definitely show a lot of fight. Greer did a great job of coming in an shutting them down for 5+ innings. Burns two bombs. I know we shouldn’t question anything after a win, but sac bunting Burns being down 8-4. Think I remembering that right.
Anyway, great win! Let’s get two more.
It was a first for me tonight. Never had a COLD delay before. First pitch was supposed to be at 3. They delayed the game, like a lightning warning, for 15 min. They had to wait for the real feel to be above 28 (I think). So every 15 min, they would check again? Something like that. It actually didn't take to long before we started, so that was nice, but it was snowing throughout the game!!

It was great to see such a gritty win! Came out firing with 2-0 lead after the 1st. But then, they put up an 8 spot on us in the 2nd. With how the last couple of weeks have gone, the girls could have easily quit. But they scored a couple here, a couple there, then the big bomb from Burns and we have the lead. KBs 2nd of the game. Greer pitched outstanding, once she came in. She has been put in some tough spots, but pitched very well all year. She showed some guts coming out in that last inning and fighting thru a perceive tightening of the zone, and got the 3 outs needed. She has not been in the position at Iowa yet, and she didn't blink. That is a great sign!

Haven't been posting much, like Hillcrest Hawk said, can't really get in the weeds on some of this stuff. But, really loved the fight the girls showed the last couple games. Let's get one tomorrow, then worry about Sunday!

Go Hawks!

Oh ya, anyone know how the "cold" rule works? Just curious...

Last Saturday, softball cancels, but baseball plays. 5hen tonight, baseball cancels, and softball plays? I would think it would be the same, either way? Last wee for baseball was not BigTen, so maybe that makes a difference? But tonight was BigTen for both. I would expect it to be one or the other?

Maybe, if BOTH coaches agree, you can cancel? But is one wants to play, they go by the temp rule? I don't know, just found it weird that it hasn't been the same?

Go Hawks!

Reactions: LinusPF
Oh ya, anyone know how the "cold" rule works? Just curious...

Last Saturday, softball cancels, but baseball plays. 5hen tonight, baseball cancels, and softball plays? I would think it would be the same, either way? Last wee for baseball was not BigTen, so maybe that makes a difference? But tonight was BigTen for both. I would expect it to be one or the other?

Maybe, if BOTH coaches agree, you can cancel? But is one wants to play, they go by the temp rule? I don't know, just found it weird that it hasn't been the same?

Go Hawks!
Really surprised they played in below freezing temps Friday when the forecast called for temps 20 degrees higher today and 30 degrees higher tomorrow.

Very important win Friday and big games today and tomorrow. Believe it or not, next four B1G series are against better teams than Minnesota. Schedule makers didn't do us any favors!

The final of game one was 14-1.

Game 2 we were down 8-6 going into the bottom of the 6th when the game was cancelled due to storms in the area so the final reverted back to the fifth 8-3.

When a game is cancelled mid-inning due to weather the final score reverts back to the last completed inning so its like the top half of the sixth didn't happen. I think there needs to be 5 innings complete to be a game otherwise it is a no-contest.

A few years ago the same thing happened in a high school game in the sub-state final. The visiting team was losing after the last completed inning but took the lead in the top half of the 6th or 7th. Storms hit and the game was cancelled and the losing team (home team) won because the final reverted back to the last compete inning. Tough way to end a season.

Isn’t it great getting absolutely embarrassed onBig Ten network? not even competitive!
I’m sorry, but how pathetic is this team? I can’t even stand to watch. Had to shut it off after we left the bases loaded twice and couldnt push a run across. No outs the second time.

I’m sorry, but how pathetic is this team? I can’t even stand to watch. Had to shut it off after we left the bases loaded twice and couldnt push a run across. No outs the second time.
I'm pretty sure they won't miss you as a fan. Be critical all you want. Calling them pathetic, embarrassing and giving up shows you're not really a fan unless they meet your expectations. I'm sure you're the best at everything you do though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fair Child
Again the mental errors. It does make them tough to watch. To take the bat out of Nia's hands with that awful base-running error was a killer.

Reactions: Fair Child
I'm pretty sure they won't miss you as a fan. Be critical all you want. Calling them pathetic, embarrassing and giving up shows you're not really a fan unless they meet your expectations. I'm sure you're the best at everything you do though.
Okay, I probably deserved that,but after ah showing so much improvement last yr this is hard to watch. I care too much is my problem!

On the bright side, the top six or so are batting pretty well. There's a chance the team batting average could be the best in 10+ years. And we already have more HRs this year than in any year since 2016.

Team ERA is currently 5.02. I imagine that doesn't include todays game and maybe not even the OSU series, I thought it would be more than that. Loecker has been really rocked a few times, but she actually leads the staff at 4.15 as well as innings pitched. REALLY too bad we couldn't have held on to Shaw or Lehman.

Last edited:
Well that was a fun doubleheader to watch today. It was good to watch another team ugly a game up. Indianola’s alum Sickels and Vasquez had a great battle. We scored three unearned runs to get us to extras. Where we pulled away. 7-3 win for Iowa in 9.
The second game, their pitcher took a no-no into the seventh. We scored four runs, runners on 2nd and 3rd with no outs. Sickels came in for the save. Illinois wins 5-4.
Yesterday was another close one 4-2 Illini.
Overall a much better weekend.

Awesome to see solid starting pitching all weekend! Second game today, both of Illinois' doubles in the 1st should have been caught, plus the error in the 1st that was called. That come-back in the 7th should have been enough.

Unfortunately we really needed that 2nd game. With Rutgers and Purdue playing each other next week, it's going to be really tough to qualify for the B1G tournament.

Last edited:
Michigan St/Rutgers series not happening due to MSU Covid. Winner of that series would have qualified for the B1G Tournament. With the series not happening, MSU automatically qualifies. Has any game in the entire country been cancelled due to Covid? First games cancelled gets MSU into the tournament - a bit suspicious/shady.

HOWEVER, if MSU still has the Covid into next week and can't play in the tournament, I believe the team with the 13th best winning percentage would qualify - Tiebreaker Rules

That would be Iowa if they beat Purdue tomorrow.

Didn't want to start a new thread - just have a question to anyone close to the team. Riley Moss was first in state hitting, I believe. Now she is hitting 105 at Iowa. Being an ex-Muskie I was just curious if she has been injured or having trouble adjusting to NCAA pitching. Thanks

There were a lot of experienced players ahead of Riley. She finally started seeing more constant playing time late in the season. Hopefully she can get more opportunities early next season.

Last edited:
Team ERA is currently 5.02. I imagine that doesn't include todays game and maybe not even the OSU series, I thought it would be more than that. Loecker has been really rocked a few times, but she actually leads the staff at 4.15 as well as innings pitched. REALLY too bad we couldn't have held on to Shaw or Lehman.

Pitching was the difference this year. Not enough of it

Didn't want to start a new thread - just have a question to anyone close to the team. Riley Moss was first in state hitting, I believe. Now she is hitting 105 at Iowa. Being an ex-Muskie I was just curious if she has been injured or having trouble adjusting to NCAA pitching. Thanks
As a freshman coming into the BIGTEN, it is a pretty big adjustment. Especially mentally. She lost a little time in the Fall with a small injury, but most of it was, its a big jump to the BIGTEN level, and she had some very good players in front of her. She was getting a AB here, and an AB there, and never got into a rhythm. Was battling some footwork issues as well.

She ended up starting something like 7 of the last 10 games or so, and was getting much more comfortable with things. Interested to see what jump she makes next year. I would expect all the freshman, will feel much more confident next year, and that will allow for much improved growth. Really, only Rylie and Tristen saw much time among the position players, so next Fall will be big for all the returning sophomores again...

At least, that is what I saw from the cheap seats!!

Reactions: UptownHawk
Pitching was the difference this year. Not enough of it
A year of experience under this years freshmen will help a lot. Next year there will be Denali, Brea, Devan, and Kat all coming back with some experience. Last year, there was 3 innings returning! That is tough to overcome. Also have Adams coming in, which, I think she will be in the mix. Several other pitchers (Henderson) who got sometime this year and has potential. Several others that did not get much time, so we will see how that plays out.

The season didn't turn out like I had hoped, but I think there a few things to build on. Kat had some good innings down the stretch and the other pitchers had solid innings at times as well. I'd expect Adams to get some innings next year and there is a pitcher from Wayne Community and Tampa coming in. Hopefully with some more experience from the returners and contributions from one or more of the freshman there will be more consistency in the circle.

Pitching coach Dillinger has retired so a new pitching coach may help change the dynamics as well. I'd love to see Iowa All-American Brittany Weil-Miller come back. She was at Texas tech this season, but the coaching staff has been let go. Prior to that she was at Loyola Marymount and ISU. Her dad is a well known travel ball coach in California so there may some recruiting connections if she were hired.

Sheehy and Claypool appear to be the only two seniors moving on. Claypool had two amazing catches. One made the NCAA plays of the day:
With 20 returning players and 9 recruits it seems like there may be turnover again this season.

Our offense seems improved. This season we averaged 3.94 runs per game up from 3.70 last season and 2.69 Coach G's first season (skipped the Covid season). Batting average climbed to .258 from .244 and 2.15. There less strikes per game also. With most of the offense returning we should be set up nice next season.

Go Hawks!!

Northwestern made the college world series by upsetting Arizona State in the super regional.

Northwestern was also the team that upset Iowa in the Elite Eight of field hockey and won it all in the end. Their women's athletic program sure is doing well this year. The women's lacrosse team made Final Four too. That's not really surprising.

Iowa's non-conference schedule ended up being very difficult in hindsight. 26 of our 52 games were against NCAA tournament teams (5 verses World Series teams; Oreg State, Okla and NW 3 ). Even a few of the teams not in the NCAA tournament ended up with strong seasons (ISU, UNI, Butler, SEMO).

I'm happy UCLA qualified for the World Series. I'm happy for Shaw that she will get this opportunity.

Last I looked Shaw was their #3 pitcher in terms of innings, but still had an ERA of .98.

The conference schedule ended up not working in our favor either. We didn't play 13th place Rutgers, 12th place MSU or 10th place Indiana. OTOH, we were able to only get 1 of 3 from 11th place Purdue

Have to say I feel a bit sorry for the Cyclones when it comes to softball, with OU, OSU and TX in the WCWS.

Last edited:
Anyone hear any rumors about Coach Dillinger's replacement? Heard a couple rumors form some High School coaches.

Anyone have any info?

No info on that from me, but as I said above I am hoping to see Brit Weil Miller back. Lisa Birocci Banse is another former Hawk/All-American who has coached D1 that would be an intriguing hire.

I did see one of the freshman, Madison Weaver, is in the transfer portal.

No info on that from me, but as I said above I am hoping to see Brit Weil Miller back. Lisa Birocci Banse is another former Hawk/All-American who has coached D1 that would be an intriguing hire.

I did see one of the freshman, Madison Weaver, is in the transfer portal.
Maddie and Marissa are in portal and Sophie is going to Iowa State. It's public now, so I can say something.

Sounds like neither of your choices will be the new coach. I heard from 2 different people, neither have any connection to Iowa Softball, that T Rubley will be the coach? Sounds like he was hired to be the Loan Tree head softball Coach, but then stepped down 2 weeks later, to take the Iowa job. No confirmation from any Iowa player or staff, but 2 different people told me that. So, might be something to it?

Maddie and Marissa are in portal and Sophie is going to Iowa State. It's public now, so I can say something.

Sounds like neither of your choices will be the new coach. I heard from 2 different people, neither have any connection to Iowa Softball, that T Rubley will be the coach? Sounds like he was hired to be the Loan Tree head softball Coach, but then stepped down 2 weeks later, to take the Iowa job. No confirmation from any Iowa player or staff, but 2 different people told me that. So, might be something to it?
It's just too damn easy to transfer! That said, any word on good ones transferring in? :p

Sophie played really well most the season. Loved her speed. Because she's already transferred once, does that mean she has to sit out a year, or does that not apply to junior college?

It's just too damn easy to transfer! That said, any word on good ones transferring in? :p

Sophie played really well most the season. Loved her speed. Because she's already transferred once, does that mean she has to sit out a year, or does that not apply to junior college?
Have not heard of any coming in yet...

Ya, Sophie had a nice year. She solidified SS and had some nice hits for us. Real nice speed. She will be missed. I'm pretty sure the transfer here from JoCo does not count. So she should be able to play right away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT