ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa staff

One could use Jimbo's comments towards Saban as reference when they were throwing jabs at each other. If the players were flipped in this past year's BIG 10 Championship game, I think the Hawks pull out the win regardless of the play caller. And possibly beyond...

• Haha
Reactions: peacehawk
Pretty fvcking far.

More importantly, Iowa does really well with the roster they have. They punch above their recruiting ranking more often than not.
I would agree with this. It does become somewhat of a chicken and egg discussion however. When looking at the Iowa offense has the problem been player evaluation, development, or schematic failings? Would this staff be capable of recruiting and developing the players that Michigan has with all of that tradition and resources? Defensively and special teams wise the answer is an emphatic yes. Offensively I think the answer is that Michigan's offense might have been pretty bad, just not worst in country bad.

With the offensive playcalling the same? About the same. Maybe we score a few more times but overall about the same. There's not a huge talent gap like many want you to believe. It's way more on the playcalling side of things, scheming and adjustments that kill us. Oh and shitty clock management Look at it this way, we roughly get the same amount of talent defensively that we do on offense, yet our D is always nationally in the top 10. It's not a talent issue.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
With the offensive playcalling the same? About the same. Maybe we score a few more times but overall about the same. There's not a huge talent gap like many want you to believe. It's way more on the playcalling side of things, scheming and adjustments that kill us. Oh and shitty clock management Look at it this way, we roughly get the same amount of talent defensively that we do on offense, yet our D is always nationally in the top 10. It's not a talent issue.
There is a HUGE talent gap, on offense. Michigan isn't recruiting 2 and 3 star WR's, RB's, or OLine. Nor are they bringing in castoffs at QB destined for Fordham. That said, the defensive staff at Iowa does a better job of identifying the 2* and 3* players than the offensive staff does.

Pretty fvcking far.

More importantly, Iowa does really well with the roster they have. They punch above their recruiting ranking more often than not.
Doesn’t seem to be the case, offensively though.

Most of our OL were/are huge guys and were widely recruited in H.S. yet they are performing terribly.

We have a coaching problem on offense and Kirk is doing next to nothing to get them trending in the right direction.

Reactions: mustang_hawk
NC this past year. I think the Offense would have been talented enough to overcome BF.

There is a HUGE talent gap, on offense. Michigan isn't recruiting 2 and 3 star WR's, RB's, or OLine. Nor are they bringing in castoffs at QB destined for Fordham. That said, the defensive staff at Iowa does a better job of identifying the 2* and 3* players than the offensive staff does.
Iowa isn't getting 2 star lineman or RB's either. I'm willing to bet that most of OL is 4 stars via (scout, rivals or ESPN) same with 50% of our RB's and QB's. Yes, we lag in WR's and this hire won't help that either.

QB- Carson May was a 4 star
QB- Marco Lainez was a 4 star
QB- Spencer Petras was a 4 star
QB- Alex Padilla was a 4 star
QB- Deuce Hogan was a 4 star
RB- Tyler Goodson was a 4 star until late
RB- Kaleb Johnson was a 4 star
RB- Jazmin Patterson was a 4 star (ended 5.7)
OL- Josh Volk was a 4 star
OL- David Davidkov was a 4 star
OL- Beau Stephen’s was a 4 star
OL- Tristan Wirfs was a 4 star
OL- Kayden Proctor was a 5 star
OL- Trevor Lueck was a 4 star

These are just of the top of my head and a quick GIA search. Didn’t even check espn, ON3 or rivals

OL- Josh Volk was a 4 star

These are just of the top of my head and a quick GIA search. Didn’t even check espn, ON3 or rivals
Padilla was barely a three star. As you mentioned, two others did not end as four stars. I don’t think Lainez ended up a 4 star either. So at least 4 guys on this list were not 4 stars.

I think Colby may have been a 4 star too? So I’ll add that one for you. Out of about 17 OL currently on the roster, about 4 are 4 or 5 stars. One RB, and one QB. Nothing to sneeze at, but a LONG way from Michigan.

Considering we are comparing Iowa to Michigan, I’d guess, and I am indeed guessing; that’s probably about 30-35% relative to the Wolverines.

Also, I agreed with you that Iowa is not getting 2 stars. That is objectively false.

Padilla was barely a three star. As you mentioned, two others did not end as four stars. I don’t think Lainez ended up a 4 star either. So at least 4 guys on this list were not 4 stars.

I think Colby may have been a 4 star too? So I’ll add that one for you. Out of about 17 OL currently on the roster, about 4 are 4 or 5 stars. One RB, and one QB. Nothing to sneeze at, but a LONG way from Michigan.

Considering we are comparing Iowa to Michigan, I’d guess, and I am indeed guessing; that’s probably about 30-35% relative to the Wolverines.

Also, I agreed with you that Iowa is not getting 2 stars. That is objectively false.
I get what you’re saying but I just hate this “we’re lowly ol iowa who never gets any talent.” narrative . It’s absolute BS

Is Iowa getting the worst 3 and 4 star QBs, or are is Iowa failing at developing thise QBs? Or both?

Just throwing this out there. I had a "3 star" OT this year and he had two dozen d2 offers and multiple FCS walk on offers. The grading system isnt ideal for OL. He is 6-4 290 and played in the state of Georgia. Its the nature of the beast right now with the transfer portal. Good HS kids are getting overlooked

“Stars” are less indicative of quality of a prospect than their offer sheet. I’d take a three star recruit with multiple power five offers than a four star with a “thin” power five offer sheet.

Most of our “4*” qb’s had very pedestrian offer sheets, for example.
Absolutely.

OL- Josh Volk was a 4 star -

I always wonder where people get these rankings. Half of those players were definitely 3 star players when looking at the average across the 3 main services. Just because 1 service calls a guy a 4 star doesn't make him a 4 star when the other 3 rating services have them as a 3 star.

That's why I prefer 247 since it has the composite rating system

“Stars” are less indicative of quality of a prospect than their offer sheet. I’d take a three star recruit with multiple power five offers than a four star with a “thin” power five offer sheet.

Most of our “4*” qb’s had very pedestrian offer sheets, for example.
ditto with basketball - I know people love their 4 star instate boyz, but give me a 3 star that plays against salty/quicker competition with solid power five offers any day of the week...

Like you said…it’s also at key skill positions like QB, WR and RB, plus they don’t trot out there with our crappy O line.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT