I've always wondered "what if" Bucky hadn't died in that car accident, where Iowa basketball might be today. We might be a blue blood.Exactly, but as you say we will never know. What if Bucky had lived and kept Iowa Basketball near the top and Evy stayed on as football coach and was never the AD? Again, we will never know but it can be fun to speculate. I was just a little kid (5-6 years old) but Bucky was one of my Dad's best friends and Bucky and his wife, Jane, were at our house a lot. Bucky's death was my first taste of death of someone that I knew.
I've always wondered "what if" Bucky hadn't died in that car accident, where Iowa basketball might be today. We might be a blue blood.
Any Buck stories you can share?
I think Fran plays 9 or 10 instead of 8. We will see.It will be really interesting to see how minutes are spread next year. Pretty rare to see a team return 7 players who have started the majority of games they played. Then add in 5 newcoming freshmen, and hopefully a healthy Patrick McCaffery who is the highest rated recruit of anybody on the roster.
Should be a really exciting season. Here's to hoping we can get the COVID-19 situation settled this summer so things are back to normal this fall.
NBC Sports has the following B1G teams ranked:
5. Michigan State
NBC Sports College Basketball Preseason Top 25
By Rob Dauster
May 14, 2020
5. Michigan State
Rocket Watts showed down the stretch of last season that he was ready to take over the reins offensively, and with Joey Hauser getting eligible, he should have a second scoring threat on the floor with him. That will allow Aaron Henry to play his jack-of-all-trades role, and with Gabe Brown, Malik Hall and Marcus Bingham all, in theory, taking a step forward, there’s plenty of weaponry. The key, however, is going to be Xavier Tillman. I think he’s a first round pick, and considering that he’s a married man with two kids already, he certainly could use the income. He’s the piece that brings it all together
- GONE: Cassius Winston
- COMING BACK: Rocket Watts, Aaren Henry, Gabe Brown, Malik Hall, Marcus Bingham, Julius Marble, Thomas Kithier, Foster Loyer
- WAIT AND SEE: Xavier Tillman, Josh Langford
- NEW FACES: Joey Hauser, Madi Sissoko, A.J. Hoggard
- PROJECTED STARTERS: Rocket Watts, Gabe Brown, Aaron Henry, Joey Hauser, Xavier Tillman
7. Texas Tech
I’m assuming Luka Garza will be back for his senior season, which is a helluva way for Fran McCaffery to anchor a roster that looks as good as anyone in the Big Ten, but that’s no guarantee. I think Joe Toussaint has a chance to be one of the breakout stars in college basketball next year, which is a pretty good sign for a team that also returns the preseason Player of the Year along with talents like Joe Weiskamp and C.J. Frederick.
- GONE: Bakari Evelyn, Ryan Kreiner, Cordell Pemsl
- COMING BACK: C.J. Frederick, Joe Weiskamp, Joe Toussaint, Jordan Bohannon, Connor McCaffery, Jack Nunge
- WAIT AND SEE: Luka Garza
- NEW FACES: Tony Perkins, Ahron Ulis, Patrick McCaffery
- PROJECTED STARTERS: Joe Toussaint, C.J. Frederick, Joe Weiskamp, Jack Nunge, Luka Garza
After winning a share of last year’s Big Ten regular season title, the Badgers are on track to essentially return everyone of note. Their frontline of Aleem Ford, Nate Reuvers and Micah Potter will be as good as anyone in the Big Ten, D’Mitrik Trice has developed into a solid shot-maker and Tyler Wahl is waiting in the wings as a super-sub. Throw in Brad Davison, and the Badgers will compete for the league title once again.
- GONE: Brevin Pritzl
- COMING BACK: D’Mitrik Trice, Brad Davison, Nate Reuvers, Micah Potter, Aleem Ford, Tyler Wahl, Trevor Anderson
- WAIT AND SEE: None
- NEW FACES: Ben Carlson, Lorne Bowman, Johnny Davis, Jordan Davis, Steve Crowl
- PROJECTED STARTERS: D’Mitrik Trice, Brad Davison, Aleem Ford, Nate Reuvers, Micah Potter
19. Rutgers (@MrsScrew)
The Scarlet Knights return basically everyone from a team that would have made the program’s first NCAA tournament since 1991. In total, eight of their top nine players are returning, and only Akwasi Yeboah (9.8 ppg) is gone.
- GONE: Akwasi Yeboah, Shaq Carter
- COMING BACK: Geo Baker, Ron Harper, Myles Johnson, Montez Mathis, Caleb McConnell, Jacob Young, Mamadou Doucoure, Paul Mulcahy
- WAIT AND SEE: None
- NEW FACES: Cliff Omoruyi, Dean Reiber, Oskar Palmquist, Mawot Mag
- PROJECTED STARTERS: Geo Baker, Montez Mathis, Caleb McConnell, Ron Harper Jr., Myles Johnson
The Wolverines are going to have one of the better frontlines in college basketball in 2020-21, as they seem likely to return at least one, if not both of Isaiah Livers and Franz Wagner. Throw in a recruiting class that includes Isaiah Todd and Hunter Dickinson, and the Wolverines will be loaded. Their guards are old, but there are some questions about the upside of Columbia grad transfer Mike Smith and Eli Brooks.
- GONE: Zavier Simpson, Jon Teske
- COMING BACK: Eli Brooks, Brandon Johns, Adrian Nunez
- WAIT AND SEE: Isaiah Livers, Franz Wagner
- NEW FACES: Hunter Dickinson, Mike Smith Terrance Williams, Zeb Jackson, Jace Howard
- PROJECTED STARTERS: Mike Smith, Eli Brooks, Isaiah Livers, Franz Wagner, Hunter Dickinson
LINK to FULL STORY: https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2020/05/14/2020-2021-college-basketball-preseason-top-25/
Didn’t know that Jalen Suggs ended up at Gonzaga. Had an offer from Iowa for both football and basketball and was considering playing both in college iirc. Little surprising he ended up at a basketball-only school, though a really good one
I am assuming the worst as well but hoping that they figure things out so we can have fall and winter sports. Crazy to think that the football season is scheduled to kick off in 61 days!I'm hoping and praying we have a MBB season, but, with in person, fall classes cancelled for the most part at Rutgers I'm not holding out a lot of hope.
I am assuming the worst as well but hoping that they figure things out so we can have fall and winter sports. Crazy to think that the football season is scheduled to kick off in 61 days!
ughhhh......that is a very good point. Rutgers football and basketball players are back on campus now for "involuntary workouts," correct? Now what? Do the teams continue practicing & hope for a miracle?Rutgers canceled most in person classes for the fall. Can't have football without student athletes and it will look very bad if you allow athletes back to compete but not regular students.