ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa @ tOSU,...

preshlock

HB Legend
Sep 26, 2006
As for Iowa I've only watched the second half against Troy. But overall you lost a game you should have won against ISU, crushed Minnesota, & crushed the season opener. The offense has taken a step forward {really couldn't have gotten worse} and the defense is good as always. Still McNamara isn't the answer so you'll have to lean heavily on Johnson & the running game.

So far tOSU has played a very easy schedule. Originally Washington was the main OOC opponent but with conference realignment that got scrubbed.* But MSU & even Marshall & Akron were competitive for a half. Otherwise really the only chink in the Buckeye armor has been Howard not hitting the deep ball. But really like the ability of him being able to run. Defensively Knowles {the DC} has been using a pretty bland scheme in the first half, goes to make adjustments at half, & then gets very aggressive to shutdown the opponents in the second half. So far tOSU has only allowed 3 points in the second half for the entire season & 6.75 PPG. Easily the most balanced Buckeye team since 2019.

I think,
tOSU-31
Iowa-6

*tOSU gets back to major OOC next year with a home & home against Texas followed by Bama

Reactions: Mister_Man
Yup, OSU has one of the best rosters money can buy, Likely not too many on the Hawks roster would be starters at OSU.

of course tOSU has always had elite talent but even more significant, I think, than the portal has been the ability to keep players from leaving for the NFL early. Getting these guys to stay another year has been huge in the past maybe 7-8 would have declared for the draft.

Initially I thought Iowa might be able to get something done on the ground offensively, I just don’t see it. They’re gonna be in Kaleb Johnson’s lap at the snap. Maybe Iowa can get a big one in the screen game, but this won’t be close. I said 31-13 on the fb board, but I’m thinking more 49-7 now.

Reactions: preshlock
The best hope for Iowa is if the defense can keep it a low scoring game. If this game is in the teens Iowa can win.

We will lose by 21 unless we get a couple good breaks and secure a couple turnovers.

We haven’t been competitive against top 5 teams for several years now.

Here’s hoping for the best ..

The best hope for Iowa is if the defense can keep it a low scoring game. If this game is in the teens Iowa can win.

The offense has to be productive, They cannot go 3&out over and over like we have seen in the past few matchups with teams with superior talent, The defense simply gets worn down and has no margin for error when being exposed to a much higher snap count.

Iowa cannot throw the ball downfield to keep the defense from crowding the LOS.

I don't see Iowa winning this. but weirder things have happened.

I kinda believe the setup for this game reminds me of 2016 Penn State. Iowa had an off week prior to that game, came into Happy Valley with what they thought was a winning game plan...then came out and got out-talented the entire game.

You go back to look at the box score, and you see nothing but NFL players making big plays all game long for PSU.

OSU is going to attack Iowa's corners early and often to get big strikes and soften them up for the run. Then they'll crowd the LOS trying to make Iowa pass to move the ball while clobbering McNamara.

Iowa's only chance keeping this game close is OSU beating themselves with penalties and TO's while allowing Iowa to run successfully. I just don't see all those happening.

41-14 (the 2016 PSU game score) sounds about right.

I'm only looking for a couple things out of this game.

1. Nobody gets hurt
2. Sullivan gets more snaps even if only in the red zone

Actually that leads me to one more thing:

3. Iowa gets in the red zone.

We will lose by 21 unless we get a couple good breaks and secure a couple turnovers.

We haven’t been competitive against top 5 teams for several years now.

Here’s hoping for the best ..
The offense essentially buried the defense in all of those games. If the offense can sustain a couple of drives and not be in horrible field position, there is a chance. Provided the defense has figured out the secondary issues.

they play the games for a reason
Best case scenario is tOSU comes in overconfident. If Iowa can hang within 10 it will be a pleasant surprise

tOSU plays Oregon next week so could get caught {doubtful} looking ahead. This will be the biggest test for tOSU so far & I think Day will have the team pretty well locked in.

But so far the offense came out flat against Akron & the defense against Marshall & MSU. So could definitely see a close game at half.

There was a six year period because of conference realignment where tOSU & Iowa did not play. So you have to go all the way back to 2010 for a close game in the series.

Reactions: Mister_Man
I think Iowa’s front 7 can absolutely hang with OSU and limit their ground attack. The Chip Kelly vs. Phil Parker game inside the game is what I’m most eager to see. Iowa’s secondary HAS to play their best game. If they bite on a play action or double move, good night game over.

Offensively, I have complete trust that Lester will be able to scheme things open in both the run and passing game. Can we string together first downs, chew some clock and flip the field? I think we can at least a few times. So many Iowa fans have PTSD from Brian, and seeing him routinely do absolutely nothing when facing a good defense, that it’s become expected that we will shit ourselves repeatedly and look completely inept.

I don’t see Iowa winning , because we’re not good enough in coverage to turn Howard over. I think it’ll be something like 13-7 at halftime, with OSU winning 27-ish to 17-ish.

I’m looking forward to it, and seeing how we can stack up against them. I just want to see Iowa make them uncomfortable.

Woodshed-IA-Hawkeye-Poster.jpg
I say fuk all yall predictions and I’ll leave this here:

• Haha
The DB’s are the key in this game. If they suck it will be a long day.
Honestly on offense would love to see some mixture of Sullivan early. And more quick play action or pitch out of the shot gun.

Reactions: WadeLookingbill
I kinda believe the setup for this game reminds me of 2016 Penn State. Iowa had an off week prior to that game, came into Happy Valley with what they thought was a winning game plan...then came out and got out-talented the entire game.

You go back to look at the box score, and you see nothing but NFL players making big plays all game long for PSU.

OSU is going to attack Iowa's corners early and often to get big strikes and soften them up for the run. Then they'll crowd the LOS trying to make Iowa pass to move the ball while clobbering McNamara.

Iowa's only chance keeping this game close is OSU beating themselves with penalties and TO's while allowing Iowa to run successfully. I just don't see all those happening.

41-14 (the 2016 PSU game score) sounds about right.
I was thinking more along the lines of at PSU last year. Hawks kinda hang around via the defense but the offense will just look futile throughout and McNamara doesn't hit 100 yards. Drew Stevens will hit a 49 yarder, 33-3 OSU.

tOSU plays Oregon next week so could get caught {doubtful} looking ahead. This will be the biggest test for tOSU so far & I think Day will have the team pretty well locked in.

But so far the offense came out flat against Akron & the defense against Marshall & MSU. So could definitely see a close game at half.

There was a six year period because of conference realignment where tOSU & Iowa did not play. So you have to go all the way back to 2010 for a close game in the series.
I forgot all about 2010.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT