ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Volleyball 2017

Mar 14, 2003
Figured I'd get the volleyball post started. The program seems to have improved slowly under Bond to where we are competing better.

Iowa opened the season beating Wright State 3-0 on Friday.

They faced #2 Stanford today and lost 3-0. They face Long Beach State later tonight.

Looked like we started against Wright with a freshman setter. And maybe she's that good, but I figured we'd bring in a transfer as we'd done previously.

Looked like we started against Wright with a freshman setter. And maybe she's that good, but I figured we'd bring in a transfer as we'd done previously.
She may be. Nine kills last night! Some really timely / momentum changers.
Taylor Louis the real-deal!

Brie Orr is the real deal. She is going to make some freshman mistakes, but she is legit. Watched her for a few years in club. She is going to make some huge noise before it is all over.
Great weekend though, 2-1 with win over host Long Beach St.

Iowa Volleyball is now 9-2 on the year after beating Howard (3-1) last night. They face American @9am and Princeton at 4pm today. They went 2-1 last weekend defeating Northern Illinois twice and losing to Iowa State.

Go Hawks!

She may be. Nine kills last night! Some really timely / momentum changers.
Taylor Louis the real-deal!
Iowa Volleyball is now 9-2 on the year after beating Howard (3-1) last night. They face American @9am and Princeton at 4pm today. They went 2-1 last weekend defeating Northern Illinois twice and losing to Iowa State.

Go Hawks!
Misty may's the coach.GO HAWKS

A weak non-conference schedule probably kept us out of the tournament last year. Going into this season the schedule looked sufficiently beefed up. But unfortunately our opponents are having lousy years.

Wright St. - 5-7
Long Beach - 1-10!! A few weeks ago a win at Long Beach St. looked really good.
Omaha - 3-9
Indiana St. - 2-9
Coastal Carolina (2) - 3-5
Northern Illinois (2) - 1-10
Howard - 2-9
American - 6-6
Princeton - 6-2

The Iowa State match was really our only chance for quality non-con win.

Yikes that was an ugly couple of games tonight. Why does Taylor Louis sit for such long stretches? I don't care if she makes a few errors or misses a few assignments. She needs to play the entire match for Iowa to have a chance against good teams.

So the 2017 ends for the Hawks, missing the NCAA tournament due to the usual brutal conference schedule. No B10 teams are in the NIVC, per the VolleyTalk board 12 "automatic qualifiers" declined their invitations, I wonder if we were one of those?

With an RPI in the 40s we would have been an at-large if not an AC.
Too bad we declined. I was looking forward to see how well we performed against 40-80 RPI teams to see exactly where we fall.

During the announcement show we were listed as the second team in the "first four out". Maryland was listed as the first team out. High Point and College of Charleston got the last two bids after getting upset in their conf tournament. So close.

It's finals week. If Iowa had advanced a few rounds in the NIT, it would have had games scheduled this week. That's probably why we declined.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT