ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs Illinois State scrimmage 10-27

AGREED! Not having any PTL is a LOT harder on me than I would have ever imagined. News and video would constantly be available. There was plenty to chat about, player development, speculate on and provide basic information on what we have.

Most importantly....it kept the interest of the fans! I believe that is significantly more value to the team in the long term, than the staff & AD realize... Out of sight, out of mind.

A simple scrimmage for charity would be easy enough to setup. Heck, give me a basic Shirts vs Skins game!

Personally, I'm thirsty for any news about this year's edition. So many questions and players of unknown ability. Luckily, they will be firing up things for real very shortly.

Here it is from a reply above if you can't see it:

CP84 said:

I heard Iowa dominated. Bakari Evelyn had 12 points and 8 assists. He tore up their guards with his speed.

I know it's a scrimmage against a lesser opponent but this is why I believe and why I think Fran believes this team will be competitive nationally.

We didn't have guards like Evelyn last year that can attack the paint and distribute. Nunge and Pemsl will fill the Cook void.

This team will be better than last year.

Thanks Dan & CP84! Good info.

AGREED! Not having any PTL is a LOT harder on me than I would have ever imagined. News and video would constantly be available. There was plenty to chat about, player development, speculate on and provide basic information on what we have.

Most importantly....it kept the interest of the fans! I believe that is significantly more value to the team in the long term, than the staff & AD realize... Out of sight, out of mind.

A simple scrimmage for charity would be easy enough to setup. Heck, give me a basic Shirts vs Skins game!

It may hurt some feelings around here, but I do not miss the PTL, because I believe it provided misleading first-looks at a lot of guys playing against opposition that, collectively, is pretty inferior to an average Big Ten squad. I dont think a lot of people saw it for what it was. The prime examples would be with Woodbury and Gesell, it made people think they would be filling it up for 20 ppg during the regular season.

It may hurt some feelings around here, but I do not miss the PTL, because I believe it provided misleading first-looks at a lot of guys playing against opposition that, collectively, is pretty inferior to an average Big Ten squad. I dont think a lot of people saw it for what it was. The prime examples would be with Woodbury and Gesell, it made people think they would be filling it up for 20 ppg during the regular season.

I agree.

Those of us who went to the PTL games missed it this summer & if I said that Andrew Fleming looked good getting 28, a few people would go all “clone-like” silly, but we all knew the competition.

A recent argument for PTL was that it gave the program some summertime PR, but that too can be accomplished in other ways.

Last edited:

So you don’t miss the PTL because fans are idiots?

I enjoyed going to the PTL, I remember watching Aaron white before his freshman year thinking that kid is going to be good. His hustle and instincts were crazy good

I can't count the number of times this theme was discussed in threads about the PTL games (nearly every discussion)....I think the majority of the posters here CLEARLY understood that you could not expect PTL performance to be exactly what would show up in B10 play....on the flip side, you could also clearly see if a player had put on muscle, was showing more aggressive play or confidence over the previous years PTL, showed an improved shot...etc...

MOST importantly it was a first look at the new guys....THAT satisfied a lot of us fans that are basketball addicts.

I think it also caused a lot of players to regress defensively,... Like in golf, four man best shots are fun but they don't help your personal game....

You think a dozen pickup-level games during the summer are enough to undo everything they've learned on defense the rest of the year? That's nuts.

Didn't say that,... Do you think that participation in PTL improved player defense?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT