ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs. Illinois State (Tuesday night game)

Bullet dodged. Can’t say that I was thrilled with decision to go with the one IP strategy. That written, a potential disaster was avoided. Two days of rest and bring on OSU.

Rain, rain, stay away.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigOHawk
Bullet dodged. Can’t say that I was thrilled with decision to with the one IP strategy. That written, a potential disaster was avoided. Two days of rest and bring on OSU.

Rain, rain, stay away.
Yes, don't need a Saturday DH, let's keep normal schedule!

UCLA lost last night too so we picked up another RPI spot! Now #36.
It will be interesting to see BA and d1’s projections today. I trust that both will have Iowa in the field but I’m most interested to see if either publication lists Iowa as one of the last 4 or 5 to get an invite. As you noted Rogers (d1) wasn’t particularly bullish on Iowa in the chat notes previously posted by @Alum-Ni

Indeed, I'm curious too, can/will someone post the recaps today? Is D1 content premium? Also, we are big Elon fans today, they play #33 Campbell (not sure I even know where that is!) but a Campbell loss would drop them below Iowa unless the indirects largely help them.

@AuroraHawk, still looking for the 'expand' RPI button/link on WarrenNolan, maybe I'm just missing it somewhere for previous years...

Indeed, I'm curious too, can/will someone post the recaps today? Is D1 content premium? Also, we are big Elon fans today, they play #33 Campbell (not sure I even know where that is!) but a Campbell loss would drop them below Iowa unless the indirects largely help them.
Both BA and d1's primary content is behind a paywall. The NCAA projected brackets, however, are not premium content and available to those of us who don't pony up the cash. (FWIW, I'd love to read their content but I'm "subscriptioned out" at this particular time in my life) If memory serves correctly, projections are released sometime in the 10:00 to 11:00 a.m. CDT time frame.

Here's BA's last projections (4-26-23): https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2023-ncaa-tournament-projected-field-of-64-42623/
You can note that BA projected Campbell as a 2 seed and Elon as one of the last 8 teams left out of the tournament. That suggests to me that Campbell is solidly in the tournament but Elon is a bubble team. In the big scheme of things, it may actually be better for Iowa for Elon to lose.

@AuroraHawk, still looking for the 'expand' RPI button/link on WarrenNolan, maybe I'm just missing it somewhere for previous years...
I think that my previous post misled you. You asked for Iowa's RPI from 2015 and 2017 and I intended to reference the linked post from April 2022 which I also copied into my post. It's a long post (fully expected from me, right?????) detailing the top 6 in the B1G from 2014-2021 and you have to click on the blue "expand" to see the entirety of the April 2022 data. There is no "expand RPI" link on the WN site.

Reactions: BigOHawk
Not sure how much stock I put into this publication's projection, however they had Iowa "in" as one of the last four teams.

College Sports Madness

D1 Baseball from last week...note the Rutgers mention here which leads to believe they had Iowa squarely in the field and off the bubble? (Edit:). All I needed to do was scroll further, D1 had their projections for free, but maybe it's premium for a short time and then free for those who wait! See below for last week's bracket, Iowa is #3 seed. Also...so now Duke and Bama have solid baseball teams? Wth, can't get away from those schools!!

In terms of overall bids to the postseason, the SEC and ACC lead the way with 10 bids each. The PAC-12 has six bids in our projections and the Big 12 has five, while three each come from the Sun Belt and Big Ten. Finally, at least two bids come from the Big West, Conference USA and Colonial Athletic Association.

Mark Etheridge, Kendall Rogers and Aaron Fitt assembled the postseason projections.

LAST FIVE IN: Southern California, Georgia, TCU, Maryland, Virginia Tech
FIRST FIVE OUT: Auburn, Kansas State, Rutgers, North Carolina, Texas State

FAYETTEVILLEBLOOMINGTON
1 Arkansas (5)1 Indiana* (12)
4 SE Missouri State*4 Wright State*
2 Texas2 Tennessee
3 Iowa3 Notre Dame

Not sure how much stock I put into this publication's projection, however they had Iowa "in" as one of the last four teams.

College Sports Madness

D1 Baseball from last week...note the Rutgers mention here which leads to believe they had Iowa squarely in the field and off the bubble? (Edit:). All I needed to do was scroll further, D1 had their projections for free, but maybe it's premium for a short time and then free for those who wait! See below for last week's bracket, Iowa is #3 seed. Also...so now Duke and Bama have solid baseball teams? Wth, can't get away from those schools!!

In terms of overall bids to the postseason, the SEC and ACC lead the way with 10 bids each. The PAC-12 has six bids in our projections and the Big 12 has five, while three each come from the Sun Belt and Big Ten. Finally, at least two bids come from the Big West, Conference USA and Colonial Athletic Association.

Mark Etheridge, Kendall Rogers and Aaron Fitt assembled the postseason projections.

LAST FIVE IN: Southern California, Georgia, TCU, Maryland, Virginia Tech
FIRST FIVE OUT: Auburn, Kansas State, Rutgers, North Carolina, Texas State

FAYETTEVILLEBLOOMINGTON
1 Arkansas (5)1 Indiana* (12)
4 SE Missouri State*4 Wright State*
2 Texas2 Tennessee
3 Iowa3 Notre Dame

My guess is that Maryland throttling Indiana (previously projected as a host team) last weekend has Maryland off of the "Last Five In" list. (Pretty safe guess)

I'm left wondering whether Iowa will replace Maryland on that list. The publication isn't particularly bullish on B1G baseball.

My guess is that Maryland throttling Indiana (previously projected as a host team) last weekend has Maryland off of the "Last Five In" list. (Pretty safe guess)

I'm left wondering whether Iowa will replace Maryland on that list. The publication isn't particularly bullish on B1G baseball.
Agreed, Maryland has the potential to make the CWS.

Go to 49:19 of this podcast and you will hear the d1 Baseball discussion on B1G invites, it includes a discussion on Iowa's prospects: https://d1baseball.com/the-d1baseball-podcast/week-12-nerdcast-2023/

Cliff's Notes: Indiana and Maryland are comfortably in the field right now. The consensus among the 3 commentators is that Iowa is "definitely in" if they win all 3 of their remaining series. They also discuss whether MSU needs to be part of the discussion. They mention that MSU plays on the road against Illinois; on the road against Iowa and host Indiana. Concludes that MSU has a path to an at-large bid if they finish strong.

Go to 49:19 of this podcast and you will hear the d1 Baseball discussion on B1G invites, it includes a discussion on Iowa's prospects: https://d1baseball.com/the-d1baseball-podcast/week-12-nerdcast-2023/

Cliff's Notes: Indiana and Maryland are comfortably in the field right now. The consensus among the 3 commentators is that Iowa is "definitely in" if they win all 3 of their remaining series. They also discuss whether MSU needs to be part of the discussion. They mention that MSU plays on the road against Illinois; on the road against Iowa and host Indiana. Concludes that MSU has a path to an at-large bid if they finish strong.
Awesome, I'll check that out, I saw that link and wondered if they covered B10 talk. There is zero reason IMO that Iowa should lose any of those series and especially NW!

Looking ahead too....any path to cancelling that UIC game on 5/16? :) At that point, that would be an RPI killer at best, maybe do your rain dance early Hawk fans! Fine line to getting work 'in' and dropping 10 RPI spots for a seemingly meaningless game right before the regular series finale on the road vs. NW.

Last edited:
Looking ahead too....any path to cancelling that UIC game on 5/16? :) At that point, that would be an RPI killer at best, maybe do your rain dance early Hawk fans! Fine line to getting work 'in' and dropping 10 RPI spots for a seemingly meaningless game right before the regular series finale on the road vs. NW.

We have cancelled with them in the past without weather. It’s something in this sport that needs to be addressed.

Not good for fans when May games are getting cancelled because it’s better to not play than to win.

Reactions: dconifer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT