ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs OK State

The loss of Assad and Cassioppi hurt both for duals and NCAA points. Would be a solid second with both. Without, we may be 6th at NCAAs. The point spread between 2nd-6th is tight.

2023_03_05_slideshow_008.jpg

Tom Hanks Hello GIF

Some what if senarios for talking points:
If Gabe goes against OSU at 184 and beats Plott, where does Tom go from there? I know this has been discussed over and over, but he is obviously the best we have at 184. Wrestling up in a RS year isn't that uncommon under the old RS rules (I get it that this is different under the new 5 match rules). Do you put the best guy on the mat and save the RS for down the road? This has a different dynamic now with a season's results to decide it on. I honestly think a healthy Gabe AA at 184 and if he beats #2 what is his top end at 184?? With the logjam Iowa appears to have from 165-184 over the next 3 years do you go with your best lineup now and in the future or just in the future? This all depends on whether Gabe goes and the results against Plott, but makes me wonder where the coaches heads are at.

Reactions: TarpHawk
I would say Nelson would be in the conversation of being finals or the 3rd place match where Patrick is probably 5th - 8th place conversation.
Look a lot has to happen but if PK took 3rd I wouldn’t be shocked. He’s ranked 5th by Flo, Devos is 4th and I think he can win that match, and Mekhi has already considered quitting the sport multiple times. If he loses before finals he may dip which moves people up another spot.

If Gabe goes against OSU at 184 and beats Plott, where does Tom go from there? I know this has been discussed over and over, but he is obviously the best we have at 184. Wrestling up in a RS year isn't that uncommon under the old RS rules (I get it that this is different under the new 5 match rules). Do you put the best guy on the mat and save the RS for down the road? This has a different dynamic now with a season's results to decide it on. I honestly think a healthy Gabe AA at 184 and if he beats #2 what is his top end at 184?? With the logjam Iowa appears to have from 165-184 over the next 3 years do you go with your best lineup now and in the future or just in the future? This all depends on whether Gabe goes and the results against Plott, but makes me wonder where the coaches heads are at.
I was thinking about this also. If Gabe were to beat Plott Sunday it would be hard to leave him off the post season roster. I've said this from the beginning of the season, I think Gabe should wrestle bc you don't know what tomorrow brings. I also think Gabe would place top 5 at nationals with a real shot at the finals. Do you know what he weighed in at last Sunday vs Wiscy? With no other competitions left I would think its safe for him to weigh in close to 184 and not keep his weight down. It's ultimately up to Gabe, you, and his support system. It sure would be interesting to hear that conversation if he indeed did win Sunday vs Plott.

The loss of Assad and Cassioppi hurt both for duals and NCAA points. Would be a solid second with both. Without, we may be 6th at NCAAs. The point spread between 2nd-6th is tight.
Yeah, good for 2nd as long as they battle back in consys.

Reactions: el dub
Tbh, with how PK has wrestled, this might not be a huge difference. Both have mid-AA potential.
Depends on which Brands showed up. The Brands that wrestled at NCAA's last year was absolutely good enough to beat anyone but Starocci....

• Haha
Reactions: hlstone
I was thinking about this also. If Gabe were to beat Plott Sunday it would be hard to leave him off the post season roster. I've said this from the beginning of the season, I think Gabe should wrestle bc you don't know what tomorrow brings. I also think Gabe would place top 5 at nationals with a real shot at the finals. Do you know what he weighed in at last Sunday vs Wiscy? With no other competitions left I would think its safe for him to weigh in close to 184 and not keep his weight down. It's ultimately up to Gabe, you, and his support system. It sure would be interesting to hear that conversation if he indeed did win Sunday vs Plott.
If Gabe beats Plott on Sunday you have to wrestle him the rest of the year. Plott was right there with Keckeisen and is a legit title threat.

If Gabe goes 184 and beats Plott, he should still RS, 74 clears out a bit which almost means nothing, but Gabe is a 174lber and will have another year of strength and maturity. Nelson will be back and will go 184. Cali and Kennedy will have to fight it out for 65, I dont see either getting to 57.

If Gabe goes 184 and beats Plott, he should still RS, 74 clears out a bit which almost means nothing, but Gabe is a 174lber and will have another year of strength and maturity. Nelson will be back and will go 184. Cali and Kennedy will have to fight it out for 65, I dont see either getting to 57.
If Carter comes back and Otoole and Hamiti go up 174 will be tough. Devos is back as well

Does Gabe regularly beat Kennedy now? What if Nelson only comes back for 74? I'm not so sure a healthy and in shape Kennedy doesn't beat Caliendo.

It sure would be nice to have that red shirt option next year if needed. I say Gabe goes and wins a title at 184 this year and see where all the chips fall for next year.

Look a lot has to happen but if PK took 3rd I wouldn’t be shocked. He’s ranked 5th by Flo, Devos is 4th and I think he can win that match, and Mekhi has already considered quitting the sport multiple times. If he loses before finals he may dip which moves people up another spot.
I wouldn't be "shocked" either, but I would be happily surprised if Kennedy took 3rd.

Reactions: Grip220
I guess I would say the future and your continued health are not guaranteed to anyone. If Gabe and his family want to go this year, I would say go and get what you can.
Very true and thats one way to look at it, but one match is not the BiGs and national tournaments, and he will be a weight class up. Maybe Im wrong, but not a good combination for a true freshman 174lber thats up a weight with a limited season under his belt.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be "shocked" either, but I would be happily surprised if Kennedy took 3rd.
Yea I guess I was trying to say his top end potential isn’t 5th but could be 3rd. I think he could realistically end up 3-R16 like he finished last year. Draw is totally a factor plus someone like Ramirez last year could get upset as well and knock him out early.

Less of a point difference between Brands and Kennedy than between Assad and Riggins, and Cass and Hill.

Nelson was a fringe AA who wrestled a monster NCAA.

We've got 0 combined points coming this year at 184 and 285.

Cass is easily the biggest loss. Followed by Brands.

Kennedy is nearly a year removed from his only win of significance in his two seasons as a starter. He’s faced 3 returning AAs this year and been outclassed by all 3 while not registering so much as a takedown.

Ok if you are not worried about losing this dual you are nuts. Break it down guys….

125: If Ayala is not back to 100% from illness or whatever kept him out this could easily be a tossup match. But my gut says Ayala wins a close one 3-0 good guys.
133: Doesn’t matter who we throw out we are giving up bonus pts hoping we can hold it to just 4. But honestly I have a tech here for the pokes 5-3 pokes.
141: Is Real back or not if not could be a 50/50 deal here but I trust he is back and wins. 6-5 good guys.
149: Guessing it’s triple V I hope Rathjen will be back at Bigs it was really bad guys. But this is another 50/50 type match that I give a slight edge to the Pokes. 8-6 pokes. If Rathjen can go and is close to 100% I would feel better about a win here.
157: Franek is Franek and should win but it will be close. 9-8 Hawks
165: Probably the feature matchup again poor guy needs a break lol he should be ready for post season. Leaning towards pokes here but another 50/50 match. 11-9 pokes…
174: Pk wins a a controlled match and puts us back on top 12-11.
184: Praying it’s Gabe or we are giving up bonus pts. Plott is for real guys don’t even think Gabe can beat him just yet. 14-12 pokes.
197: Glazier does what he has done all year put the team on his back and gives us a fighting chance. 15-12 Hawks
Hwt: so it comes down to this who ever we through out there is going to have a battle on their hands. I didn’t realize their heavy was that good. So I’ll leave up to to you guys on who wins this match and wins the dual for their team…..

I don't anticipate a loss to OSU.
They are much improved but not caught up.

Bonus Opinion:
Save Gabe for next year.

Very true and thats one way to look at it, but one match is not the BiGs and national tournaments and he will be a weightclass up. Maybe Im wrong, but not a good combination for a true freshman 174lber thats up a weight with a limited season under his belt.
Agree, one of your more reasonable takes Grip. Gabe has the potential to be a 4x AA and multiple National Champ at 174, why waste a year of eligibility on a throw of the dice at 184 this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT