ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa WBB Cinderella run officially over.....

Feb 25, 2008
It was a very memorable run last year, but it's becoming clear, as they look to bring in help to get us over the top in this postseason arms race.....................

nobodys-coming-no-one-is-coming.gif

I can't see why Iowa wouldn't be the place to go. Best player in college, national attention, rabid fan base, and a real chance at being a key player in a national championship team. Some of you young hot guys need to start putting out to portal recruits coming for visits!

My fear is I'll be talking about this year's WBB run to my grandkids as the last great national run made by an Iowa team in a headline sport... much like Bears fans continually being up the 85 Bears. (Football being ranked #2 then getting spanked by Purdue and WI doesn't count)

My fear is I'll be talking about this year's WBB run to my grandkids as the last great national run made by an Iowa team in a headline sport... much like Bears fans continually being up the 85 Bears. (Football being ranked #2 then getting spanked by Purdue and WI doesn't count)
Yep.

Reactions: GOHOX69
I can't see why Iowa wouldn't be the place to go. Best player in college, national attention, rabid fan base, and a real chance at being a key player in a national championship team. Some of you young hot guys need to start putting out to portal recruits coming for visits!
measuring tape measure up GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Bishop1971
Honestly MOST of the real stars aren't going to want to wear Robins cape to CC's batman. They just don't want to be the CLEAR second fiddle on their own team. Now you would think some very good post player would see the light, but maybe not. I still think that coach Jan just may work her magic with AOG or Goodman, with Stuelke flexing between the 4 and 5......

This is a plenty pessimistic thread.

I did think we were an EXCELLENT fit for Lauren Betts, but perhaps she just wanted to stay on the West Coast for the sun, beach volleyball, modeling, etc. If so, she may not be as committed to the game of basketball as we would have liked either, time will tell.

Van Lith was NEVER going to come to Iowa. She and Clark do not appear to get along particularly well despite any claims to the contrary in public forums. My guess is VL is pissed that Caitlin blew right past her in ability and stardom since their days on Team USA when Hailey was the starter. VL is also much more a villain and a thug than the rest of the Iowa squad. She'll fit right in at LSU.

I would be shocked if Morrow came to Iowa, but I'd love it. She is tough enough and athletic enough to take it to Pudwhack Reese, and Clark is beyond capable of handling VL. Add Stuelke, the rest of last years starters, and maybe Donarski from Iowa St., and we're in good shape.

Assuming I'm right that Morrow isn't headed our way either, I'd repeat the entire previous paragraph but stub in Alanna Micheaux from Minnesota instead.

We'll see how it all plays out.

Unfortunate that they're unable to take advantage of having clearly the best player in the country (likely one of the best over the past 10-12 years) to make a run next season. It was a rare opportunity to set themselves up for another Final Four run. Wonder if Coach Bluder will ever be asked why she feels they were unable to capitalize on Clark's presence to land an impact transfer for next season?

A possible explanation for the lack of urgency in WBB might be: 1. One starting spot is already locked in with the national #42 recruit whose has college experience now. 2. A top 100 experienced center just waiting her turn. We really don't know what Addie can do because she's been buried behind an outstanding player for two seasons. She looks strong as a mama grizzly and very consumptive of space. The WBB has the highest recruiting profile of all the major sports, doesn't it?

There's one schollie, the best player in the country and two starters off a national title game and a bunch of 4*s on the bench, with more coming in the fall. The WBB can definitely afford to be picky.

A possible explanation for the lack of urgency in WBB might be: 1. One starting spot is already locked in with the national #42 recruit whose has college experience now. 2. A top 100 experienced center just waiting her turn. We really don't know what Addie can do because she's been buried behind an outstanding player for two seasons. She looks strong as a mama grizzly and very consumptive of space. The WBB has the highest recruiting profile of all the major sports, doesn't it?

There's one schollie, the best player in the country and two starters off a national title game and a bunch of 4*s on the bench, with more coming in the fall. The WBB can definitely afford to be picky.
I do think we'll still be contenders just returning the team we already have (minus Czinano and Warnock). Stuelke is an amazing athlete and 6'2", O'Grady is at the very least a huge space eater and 6'4", add more minutes from Affolter, Feuerbach, and McCabe + and we're probably in pretty good shape. I would have LOVED more height, ala Betts, but we'll take those who want to be here.

Last edited:
Agreed it does not look good for a difference maker to join Iowa women, but not surprised. For whatever reason Iowa BBall (M and W) and football do not seem to be able to attract any big-name players from the portal (except CM and All which are exceptions).
Right...for whatever reason. I bet if you made a list of common denominators, you'd find the answer.

Last edited:
Right...for whatever reason. I bet if you made a list of common denominators, you'd find the answer.
So, what are they?

Assumptions often made that KF and Fran simply don't try very hard. Is Lisa?

Some say, "players don't want to play for KF and Fran". Who doesn't like Lisa and Jan?

Some say football program and Men's BB are boring or don't have a chance at a championship. Certainly not true of WBB.

Who wouldn't want to play in the B1G? Who wouldn't want to play in front of a packed house?

So, is it Iowa City? No diversity? NIL? Facilities?

So, what are they?

Assumptions often made that KF and Fran simply don't try very hard. Is Lisa?

Some say, "players don't want to play for KF and Fran". Who doesn't like Lisa and Jan?

Some say football program and Men's BB are boring or don't have a chance at a championship. Certainly not true of WBB.

Who wouldn't want to play in the B1G? Who wouldn't want to play in front of a packed house?

So, is it Iowa City? No diversity? NIL? Facilities?
Million dollar question with no answers. Because everything you said is true. Platers to the pros every year in football, top 5 defenses every year. Best player in women’s basketball with the best big girl coach in the country. And packed houses along with a Big Ten school. Makes no sense.

Million dollar question with no answers. Because everything you said is true. Platers to the pros every year in football, top 5 defenses every year. Best player in women’s basketball with the best big girl coach in the country. And packed houses along with a Big Ten school. Makes no sense.
iu

I tried to expound upon one of those answers the other day.........................

Yup Iowa won't be as good next year as they were this year losing to much big players
Well, it's not just that, but like with the football and men's basketball teams, everyone else around them either catching up or getting better via the portal.

Reactions: DewHawk
The answer was in there......

Reactions: SunzOutGunzOut
It was a very memorable run last year, but it's becoming clear, as they look to bring in help to get us over the top in this postseason arms race.....................

Not so fast! Lisa and her staff get things done. And Catlin and teamates are going to WIN Nat. Next year. All Hawks.. May need more $$$? It's around. Lisa will locate it..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT