ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa WBB Cinderella run officially over.....

This is a plenty pessimistic thread.

I did think we were an EXCELLENT fit for Lauren Betts, but perhaps she just wanted to stay on the West Coast for the sun, beach volleyball, modeling, etc. If so, she may not be as committed to the game of basketball as we would have liked either, time will tell.

Van Lith was NEVER going to come to Iowa. She and Clark do not appear to get along particularly well despite any claims to the contrary in public forums. My guess is VL is pissed that Caitlin blew right past her in ability and stardom since their days on Team USA when Hailey was the starter. VL is also much more a villain and a thug than the rest of the Iowa squad. She'll fit right in at LSU.

I would be shocked if Morrow came to Iowa, but I'd love it. She is tough enough and athletic enough to take it to Pudwhack Reese, and Clark is beyond capable of handling VL. Add Stuelke, the rest of last years starters, and maybe Donarski from Iowa St., and we're in good shape.

Assuming I'm right that Morrow isn't headed our way either, I'd repeat the entire previous paragraph but stub in Alanna Micheaux from Minnesota instead.

We'll see how it all plays out.
Imagine thinking going to UCLA instead of Iowa means you might not be committed to basketball 😂😂 We have some truly special fans.

I can't see why Iowa wouldn't be the place to go. Best player in college, national attention, rabid fan base, and a real chance at being a key player in a national championship team. Some of you young hot guys need to start putting out to portal recruits coming for visits!
Honestly MOST of the real stars aren't going to want to wear Robins cape to CC's batman. They just don't want to be the CLEAR second fiddle on their own team. Now you would think some very good post player would see the light, but maybe not. I still think that coach Jan just may work her magic with AOG or Goodman, with Stuelke flexing between the 4 and 5......
I think this is true. Stars on their former team or simply in their own head, you can’t discount ego as a reason to not want to play with Caitlin. She sucks up all the oxygen, and some players couldn’t handle that very well.

I think this is true. Stars on their former team or simply in their own head, you can’t discount ego as a reason to not want to play with Caitlin. She sucks up all the oxygen, and some players couldn’t handle that very well.
Who wouldn't want to play with Jordan during his prime? Pippen like players are kind of rare nowadays i guess. When a 20 yr old woman wears a crown in the locker room before games then maybe kack of maturity or narcissistic behavior is the norm.

Did I see that Van Lith is taking an official visit to LSU? I just don’t see how that is going to work. Those are two sizable egos expecting to be the first option on the team. And there’s still only one ball.

Did I see that Van Lith is taking an official visit to LSU? I just don’t see how that is going to work. Those are two sizable egos expecting to be the first option on the team. And there’s still only one ball.
And its not just Reese either. I just don't see that being a good fit for HVL but heck, maybe she goes there and the chemistry tears that team up. Couldn't happen to a more deserving group....

Larry hates all lesbians. And most black women as well.
Yes, only blonde haired, blue eyed, straight, white, Miller beer drinking, Fox News watching, country music listening, Harley riding, Dukes of Hazzard loving, men-only country clubbing, pipe smoking, trucker hat wearing…….

What am I missing since you and Seam claim to have me all figured out, despite my wife.

200w.gif
The f is wrong with you - was funny tho

Yes, only blonde haired, blue eyed, straight, white, Miller beer drinking, Fox News watching, country music listening, Harley riding, Dukes of Hazzard loving, men-only country clubbing, pipe smoking, trucker hat wearing…….

What am I missing since you and Seam claim to have me all figured out, despite my wife.
Because Larry has a black wife, he claims he cannot be a racist misogynist! Classic! The stories his wife might tell!;)

Reactions: littlez
The f is wrong with you - was funny tho
so you found it funny and lol-ed, didn’t haha like the post but then berated me. i should be the one asking what f is wrong with you
:) all said i’m just horsing around in case it really isn’t apparent to you

This team had a great run, and rode their horse to the finals. They could have very easily lost to Georgia at home. in a game that was essentially a toss-up. I wouldn't expect a repeat next year. They had a lot go their way down the stretch. The impact players they could have brought in have found other homes. If they get to the sweet 16 next year, it will be a successful season........

This team had a great run, and rode their horse to the finals. They could have very easily lost to Georgia at home. in a game that was essentially a toss-up. I wouldn't expect a repeat next year. They had a lot go their way down the stretch. The impact players they could have brought in have found other homes. If they get to the sweet 16 next year, it will be a successful season........
I have to agree with your assessment given current roster and anything better will be a plus.

Reactions: amahawk
Out of curiosity, do you think SCarolina had a successful SEASON last year?

Honestly MOST of the real stars aren't going to want to wear Robins cape to CC's batman. They just don't want to be the CLEAR second fiddle on their own team. Now you would think some very good post player would see the light, but maybe not. I still think that coach Jan just may work her magic with AOG or Goodman, with Stuelke flexing between the 4 and 5......
Didn’t hurt Scottie Pippen’s HOF chances. Though CC is a prolific scorer, she is also a huge team player with a ton of assists. You are going to score a lot of points playing with CC as Czinano and anyone else can attest to.

Reactions: Whinny
I think you all are underestimating Stuelke, O’Grady, et Al. Hannah was the BIG 6th woman this year. She is much more athletic and faster than Czinano. She just needs time and Jan Jenson’s coaching.
O’Grady is Czinano as a freshman. She will develop just like her.

Last edited:
Reactions: nu2u and shikreto
If they get to the sweet 16 next year, it will be a successful season....
Yes. It will. If anyone here actually thinks that is something to be disappointed about, you’re not a fan of our women. You’re a fan of bragging rights.

Just a reminder, this team won the B1G regular season and tourney titles last year and again won the tourney this year. They have beaten Indiana 6 of the last 8 meetings. They beat OSU and MD twice this year, Mich 2 of the last 3 meetings. All of these teams made the elite 8 this or last season (IU made it in ‘21 actually but their entire roster returned in ‘22 and we beat them 3/3 games that season).

IU and OSU maintained the #2 spot in the country most of the season. We were the only team to beat SC in over a year. The first of 15 I think to beat OSU as well. Our run to the NC game was not really that out of left field. We were ranked top 5 in more than one pre-season ranking. We were not a Cinderella. Creighton was the Cinderella last year. Miami was this year. A Cinderella does not start out ranked #4 or #5 and they don’t earn the #5 overall seed.

Next year we will have a much more athletic and well-rounded team. I’ve thought this for over a year now. Our best 3pt shooter was a freshman who rode the bench this season. Feuerbach and Affolter are much better ball handlers. Affolter is likely just as good a rebounder as McKenna, certainly Czinano.

Our 5s are all quicker and better shot-blockers than Czinano as well. Goodman is 6’3, O’Grady 6’4 and Stuelke is “only” 6’2” but promises to be the best of the 3 (yes, undersized posts can be efficient, have you heard of Naz Hillmon?).

None will be be as automatic in the low post as her (yet) but they don’t need to be, the way our offense works. And tbh we relied on her way too much, leading to painful losses at Illinois and MD. If we are only top 15 in offense vs #1, that might be just fine considering so many other areas of our game should improve (some perhaps significantly).

The team still has some gaps — but very few teams dont. Everyone thought SC was the lone remaining invincible team and hell we beat them pretty handily. UConn is likely the only team that we def can’t beat next year — and that’s only if they’re all healthy / at peak ability. LSU’s outlook is TBD as well. If we can hang with 330 other teams, that’s a fun season. Baylor, ND, MD, OSU, Stanford, TN have all been brought down to earth. They’re all just regular teams now, all beatable.

Y’all can keep hating on this team but ESPN already has us at #4 and a 1 seed in bracketology. They think we’ve got some good pieces. If we don’t win the NC, that’s not some massive failure to whine about.

Last edited:
Didn’t hurt Scottie Pippen’s HOF chances. Though CC is a prolific scorer, she is also a huge team player with a ton of assists. You are going to score a lot of points playing with CC as Czinano and anyone else can attest to.
Honestly Pippen is a REALLY bad example, so I don't know why people keep bringing him up. Yes he BECAME a great player as Robin to MJ's batman. But dude played his college ball at Central Arkansas I believe and NO one knew who he was when he got drafted. All I'm saying is most of these gals, (HVL is an example) want to be the BIG fish somewhere, and that aint happening at Iowa. Clark is going to get 90% of the accolades, (as she should, being a generational talent). Think I'm wrong? Then why has Iowa not signed anyone to this point after their run all the way to the title game?

Honestly Pippen is a REALLY bad example, so I don't know why people keep bringing him up. Yes he BECAME a great player as Robin to MJ's batman. But dude played his college ball at Central Arkansas I believe and NO one knew who he was when he got drafted. All I'm saying is most of these gals, (HVL is an example) want to be the BIG fish somewhere, and that aint happening at Iowa. Clark is going to get 90% of the accolades, (as she should, being a generational talent). Think I'm wrong? Then why has Iowa not signed anyone to this point after their run all the way to the title game?
Well, unless you are a player of CC’s level, which no one is close, you aren’t going to go transfer and be the face of a program of a national contender. If your desire is to win a National Championship, which I would think would be one’s objective, then you should expect to share the spotlight with your teammates. Nobody’s stats are going to decrease coming to Iowa and playing with CC. She is not a ball hog and wants to win.

Well, unless you are a player of CC’s level, which no one is close, you aren’t going to go transfer and be the face of a program of a national contender. If your desire is to win a National Championship, which I would think would be one’s objective, then you should expect to share the spotlight with your teammates. Nobody’s stats are going to decrease coming to Iowa and playing with CC. She is not a ball hog and wants to win.
There are Alot of if, and buts in your statement. It all depends on the type of player thats looking. Certainly someone like HVL's stats could go down at Iowa. And no one said that Clarks "a ball hog", but her legend consumes the press coverage. If you really don't think thats an issue for some of these players wanting to transfer, I guess we'll just disagree. And honestly, unless its a really good post player, I don't see anyone transferring to Iowa, thats going to make them a favorite to return the the final. As I said, if its so clear cut that Iowa is the obvious destination for star players, why hasn't something happened?

There are Alot of if, and buts in your statement. It all depends on the type of player thats looking. Certainly someone like HVL's stats could go down at Iowa. And no one said that Clarks "a ball hog", but her legend consumes the press coverage. If you really don't think thats an issue for some of these players wanting to transfer, I guess we'll just disagree. And honestly, unless its a really good post player, I don't see anyone transferring to Iowa, thats going to make them a favorite to return the the final. As I said, if its so clear cut that Iowa is the obvious destination for star players, why hasn't something happened?
Unfortunately, I think the national media’s focus on the racial aspect of the Angel Reese-Clark-Jill Biden dust-up has something to do with it. Clark and Bluder handled it very well, but nonetheless, some of it stuck to them through no fault of their own. It is what it is.

💰💰💰💵🤑

💰💰💰💵🤑
I don’t think the money is a factor, Herky. If a WBB player wants national TV exposure, playing in front of sell-outs everywhere, and the chance for major NIL- she goes with Caitlin and the Hawkeyes without a doubt.
Well, take it for what it is worth, but I heard that the player from DePaul and the center from Stanford are both demanding at least 100k. That is probably an upfront fee. If that is truly the case, I am sure that is an issue right now.

💰💰💰💵🤑
Money may be a factor now but it we have never recruited exceptionally well. There are plenty of reasons why that’s the case — about 4 or 5 I’d say.

Check out the recruiting thread for my rather verbose (and unpopular) arguments as to why that is (and which are pretty obvious to anyone not from Iowa / who follows the WBB world outside Iowa news on social media).

NIL money may certainly be making it worse but our issues do not start there by any means.

To be clear I don’t think Bluder is a bad recruiter but she is not an elite one and nowhere near the best in the B1G. CC was rly a miracle tbh lol.

Well, take it for what it is worth, but I heard that the player from DePaul and the center from Stanford are both demanding at least 100k. That is probably an upfront fee. If that is truly the case, I am sure that is an issue right now.
Could be true. And I doubt Iowa gives that to them. But, if so-they are forgetting the Caitlin Clark factor. Down the road, they could get more NIL given the exposure they could get with her.

They aren’t Caitlin. Which is what Iowa knows.

Reactions: littlez
Money may be a factor now but it we have never recruited exceptionally well. There are plenty of reasons why that’s the case — about 4 or 5 I’d say.

Check out the recruiting thread for my rather verbose (and unpopular) arguments as to why that is (and which are pretty obvious to anyone not from Iowa / who follows the WBB world outside Iowa news on social media).

NIL money may certainly be making it worse but our issues do not start there by any means.

To be clear I don’t think Bluder is a bad recruiter but she is not an elite one and nowhere near the best in the B1G. CC was rly a miracle tbh lol.
Shikreto:

Yeah, I hear you. But I don’t think that stuff is as big an issue as you think. It DOES matter, but Iowa City is sort of an oasis in the desert. Baton Rouge? Hartford? Blacksburg?

I mean really, you overplayed the farmer/race factors somewhat.

Shikreto:

Yeah, I hear you. But I don’t think that stuff is as big an issue as you think. It DOES matter, but Iowa City is sort of an oasis in the desert. Baton Rouge? Hartford? Blacksburg?

I mean really, you overplayed the farmer/race factors somewhat.

I mentioned lots of reasons but people were only triggered by the one. Sounds like people rly don’t wanna admit anything. Hard to feel bad about it when it’s all right in front of us lol.

I mentioned lots of reasons but people were only triggered by the one. Sounds like people rly don’t wanna admit anything. Hard to feel bad about it when it’s all right in front of us lol.
Look, I think everybody admits it as far as the coaches and team goes. They don’t like it and want to change the image. But, hey, get over it. It’s just semantic BS, for the most part. Good People get along with Good People. End of story.

It doesn't matter anyway. The perception of our program varies from person to person, state to state. Not going to change that. What people say or do does matter on the internet unfortunately but it only takes one to change a perception for some/many going forward whether true or not, especially for negative instigation. Same can be said for any state or program at any various time and for any reason. Like the irony of Louisiana being far more linked to racism, even currently, than that of a traditionally progressive state like Iowa. It's a reactionary society and it absolutely applies to sports.

The real problem is how easily misled and susceptible people truly are (on all sides). Perception before research seems to be a common mantra/theme in the U.S. This perception got lift off after the football issue we observed in my opinion even after all evidence/indications pointed to that being simply a money grab in the end.

Much ado about nothing honestly but the perception is ALL that matters.

Look, I think everybody admits it as far as the coaches and team goes. They don’t like it and want to change the image. But, hey, get over it. It’s just semantic BS, for the most part. Good People get along with Good People. End of story.
If that was the case, we rly should recruit better lol. I think a lot of people rly also gloss over the fact that Iowa to most people is synonymous with what we think of the Dakotas. Not appealing.

People are also rly underestimating the unpopularity of the B1G. All American kids wanna play with other All American kids. The B1G has a reputation as weak for that reason. Maryland fans talk about how they wish they still played in the ACC all the time.

We also don’t have the titles to become a UConn of ours. In contrast, we’ve been third in line behind Marlyland and OSU. I think those are where it starts. Everything else comes later. Things can still change, it’s just harder for us than most.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT