ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Womens Bball Portal Targets

It's not *good* news, but it might just be... no news? It is common practice in fundraising to make your biggest push for donations during the time of year when the maximum number of people will be paying attention to your organization. For a basketball NIL collective, that time is now-- when the season has just ended and transfer portal recruiting is in full swing. Even if you're the richest school with the deepest NIL pockets and doing just fine in recruiting, you'd still be soliciting donations right now. Just like political campaigns 10 weeks out from the election regardless of how much they're ahead/behind in the polls. Or charities during the holidays, etc.

All that said Olsen may not come here. Just offering another interpretation of things.
I agree. It's not like Iowa and Olsen talked for the first time during the visit. What Iowa could offer/what Olsen wanted was likely conveyed well before the visit. She was interested enough in what Iowa could offer to travel to Iowa for the visit on a day when there were tornados in the area right before she will attend a Team USA training camp.

Maybe Olsen will end up choosing LSU, Maryland, or someone else. Maybe NIL will be the reason for that. But I don't think Olsen not committing the day of her visit or fundraising messages on the day in between two important transfer visits are a sign either way.

Why wouldn't it be? Isn't it up to the people where their money goes?
I know almost nothing about NIL and Swarm. What I do know is that contributions to Swarm that are under $1000 are distributed across all sports; at $1000 and above you may direct your contribution. Didn't know if this type of event would be limited in that way.

Bummer. Does anyone know what athletes can earn as a "base" from the Swarm now that athletes across all sports get a share? I would assume it's a lot less than the $15k that all WBB players got an opportunity to earn last year.

I've noticed a definite uptick in NIL activity on the players socials, though. Gabbie has been doing a ton of pizza spots, Syd/Molly/Hannah a spot for a restaurant, Kate Martin had a weekly IG live sponsored by a Mexican place. I wonder how much they're earning from those...I'd have to guess that the spots + the smaller Swarm $$$ is not as much as the $15k they were all given the opportunity to earn last year.

You're right, the solution cannot be many Joe Averages throwing in $100. The only realistic situation is a wealthy booster or two who can give six figure gifts. It may also be that so long as everyone is splitting the pot, Iowa just won't be able to compete with the schools that take the $100k and give it to one player (LSU, UConn, USC do that).
I agree, but in general deep pockets want a solid ROI, (unless its just play Money for them), and winning at the highest level is simply a damn crap shoot. Just ask UCONN.....

I agree. It's not like Iowa and Olsen talked for the first time during the visit. What Iowa could offer/what Olsen wanted was likely conveyed well before the visit. She was interested enough in what Iowa could offer to travel to Iowa for the visit on a day when there were tornados in the area right before she will attend a Team USA training camp.

Maybe Olsen will end up choosing LSU, Maryland, or someone else. Maybe NIL will be the reason for that. But I don't think Olsen not committing the day of her visit or fundraising messages on the day in between two important transfer visits are a sign either way.
I think it's fairly obvious she's not going to commit. When the AD, Head Coach, and an "unofficial" team photographer that travels with the team post about the importance of NIL with regard to staying at the top of WBB, it's clear they are not doing well in that area. Most portal recruits commit fairly soon after visiting if they have the offer they want & they definitely wouldn't bring in a 2nd PG for a visit if the NIL is in bad shape.

Post by Swarm CEO that there potentially might be some kind of announcement tonight, but is being tight-lipped about what sport/topic it pertains to. 🤞
Thanks for sharing! Someone mentioned this on Twitter too but when I went to his Twitter page, I didn't see anything. Is this somewhere else beyond X?

Do you think Swarm & WBB would be better off holding an event at Kinnick for fans as a fundraiser rather than asking for donations? Meet the team & staff type thing, shoot free throws or 3's against your favorite player, season summary & outlook going forward from the coaches, etc, people more intelligent than me could figure out the activities. Would 10,000 people show up at $50 a ticket if it was presented as a way to continue to keep Iowa WBB at the forefront of women's athletics? They need to figure something out to connect with the average fan. Simply asking for donations isn't working. Make fans feel like they are a needed part of the journey instead of an ATM.
problem there is if it sanctioned by Iowa it would be a university function and university money which could not then legally be used as nill money inducements. have to be independent..swarm sponsored only.

I think it's fairly obvious she's not going to commit. When the AD, Head Coach, and an "unofficial" team photographer that travels with the team post about the importance of NIL with regard to staying at the top of WBB, it's clear they are not doing well in that area. Most portal recruits commit fairly soon after visiting if they have the offer they want & they definitely wouldn't bring in a 2nd PG for a visit if the NIL is in bad shape.
Speaking of the "posts not aging well" department...

giphy.gif

Crazy. LFG!

Okay, elephant in the room. I think we all know that they are still going after Scherr. If she is in, who transfers? Kennise? AJ?

Another way to think about it…

Remember last year around this time (after the Final Four run but before Shateah entered the portal), when the Swarm CEO mentioned that there were definitely *ways* to pay for a 16th scholarship if no one left the program but an inbound transfer was interested? And he mentioned possible donors (plural) who were particularly interested in supporting WBB to keep momentum going?

I wonder if those possible donors are still around and if those *ways* still exist if, say, both Olsen and Scherr (or any other transfer who might be interested) chose Iowa....despite asking dozens of times, I've never gotten a straight answer on how an extra scholarship would work, but everyone seemed to believe it would be quite easy for Clark to come back for a 5th year even when we had 15 spots accounted for next year already. So does that logic still hold?

I will never get the 15 minutes I just read from posters wringing their hands and woe is me crowd back. lol

Think again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT