ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Wrestling recruits at Junior Nationals - RESULTS

So Sasso loses twice today. Getting beat bad in the consi semis. Cassioppi and Warner destroying everyone to the finals. And people were in a frenzy about our recruiting situation and not going after Sasso. Didn't hear a single one of these whiners say anything positive about us landing Cassioppi.
Are they wrestling Folkstyle out in Fargo now?

I'd rather have "our" guys winning regardless of style, but grain of salt always applies at Fargo and this year is no different than any other in that regard.

I'd rather have "our" guys winning regardless of style, but grain of salt always applies at Fargo and this year is no different than any other in that regard.

I was just thinking the same thing 23. One leg lace on the edge of the mat can result in 6 or even 8 points at times. I am ecstatic we are getting Warner and Cassiopi!! But I would love to get Sasso, regardless of today's results.

I was just thinking the same thing 23. One leg lace on the edge of the mat can result in 6 or even 8 points at times. I am ecstatic we are getting Warner and Cassiopi!! But I would love to get Sasso, regardless of today's results.

Sasso was ahead 9-4 and the his opponent went behind with Sasso in a quad position...kid somehow went feet to back with a lace to make it 9-8....ended up winning on criteria I think.

Can someone here remind me how long this message board was in the know about Cass's recruitment? I'm just trying to figure out if the coaching staff knows what they are doing. (Not directed at your post Lax!)

Looking back for fun, Burk was in on him early saying the Hawks should still recruit him. Two posts before smoke started...LAX's eagle eyes noticed MStar following him and his Dad.

I think we take a pass on 149 this year and go after Brady or Ramirez
I'm getting the same feeling, or possibly Hardy? You gotta figure 3 more years of Brandon and Lugo. I know we are all wanting good recruiting news daily (at least I do:)) and would be thrilled with Sasso or Rider but the truth is we don't NEED a 149 in this class, jmo

Fargo is one of the best predictors of NCAA success. Elite wrestlers win in all styles. Especially going from folk to freestyle.

Here's a fargo bracket with some names you might recognize.

1st Place - Thomas Gilman of Nebraska
2nd Place - David Terao of Hawaii
3rd Place - Tim Lambert of Michigan
4th Place - Cory Clark of Iowa
5th Place - Evan Silver of Maryland
6th Place - Jered Cortez of Illinois
7th Place - Nahshon Garrett of California
8th Place - Max Hvolbek of California

Oh, and another post I just saw on Flo:

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/58592-what-did-the-2017-ncaa-champions-do-in-fargo#.WW10ZogrJPY

7 out of 10 of the 2017 NCAA D1 champs were Fargo champs at one point.

Last edited:
Fargo is one of the best predictors of NCAA success. Elite wrestlers win in all styles. Especially going from folk to freestyle.

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/58592-what-did-the-2017-ncaa-champions-do-in-fargo#.WW10ZogrJPY

I think your post proves the point that while Fargo results are nice, they are not the end-all-be-all. The guy with the most NCAA titles in this bracket got 7th. And the other NCAA champ got 4th.

I think what people are saying is that Sasso's stock should not drop because of his losses today. I agree.

The other thing with Fargo is that you have some kids on full feed who have been lifting hard for 4+ months (Shapiro) who are probably wrestling up a weight class, while other kids cut weight like it's the high school season.

My opinion it is the best. Possibly the UWW tournaments have now surpassed it, but give me Fargo champs and high AAs all day every day.

I think your post proves the point that while Fargo results are nice, they are not the end-all-be-all. The guy with the most NCAA titles in this bracket got 7th. And the other NCAA champ got 4th.

I think what people are saying is that Sasso's stock should not drop because of his losses today. I agree.

The other thing with Fargo is that you have some kids on full feed who have been lifting hard for 4+ months (Shapiro) who are probably wrestling up a weight class, while other kids cut weight like it's the high school season.

I'm not claiming it's the end all be all, but find me a better predictor of NCAA success. Fargo results are highly correlated with NCAA results.

I'm not claiming it's the end all be all, but find me a better predictor of NCAA success. Fargo results are highly correlated with NCAA results.

I completely agree with you. Fargo results are very valuable when evaluating a kid. One of the top indicators.

But I also think with the increase in national level folkstyle events, there are more opportunities than ever before to get an accurate gauge of a kid. Especially when those events are folkstyle.

The guy with the most NCAA titles in this bracket got 7th. And the other NCAA champ got 4th.

Wasn't Garrett just a one time champ? To me the guy with the best NCAA resume is sitting in 4th. Not saying that disproves your point, just that Garrett and Clark have the same amount of titles.

Wasn't Garrett just a one time champ? To me the guy with the best NCAA resume is sitting in 4th. Not saying that disproves your point, just that Garrett and Clark have the same amount of titles.

I was wrong. He only has 1. Oops.

The point remains the same. That bracket produced 2 guys who were 4x AA's and national champs and it was the 4th and 7th place guys.

I was wrong. He only has 1. Oops.

The point remains the same. That bracket produced 2 guys who were 4x AA's and national champs and it was the 4th and 7th place guys.

You're just going to ignore the success of the champ (Gilman)? You are acting like they took 4th and 7th in a bracket of nobodies. The entire bracket was filled with NCAA AA's.

And if your take away from that bracket is that it's somehow a bad indicator of NCAA success then click the other article I linked:

And one of the others got 2nd.

Reactions: Jaybird319
I am not ignoring the success of Gilman. His success speaks for itself.

I thought the conversation was about using Fargo as trying to predict NCAA success. All I was saying is that you can find lots of good kids to fill your recruiting classes who don't win Fargo. Obviously the champs are going to get the most attention, and deservedly so. I'm just saying let's not act like a kid is a slouch because he got 5th at Fargo instead of winning it.

Along with the list of Fargo champs who became NCAA champs, the list of champs who never even AA in college is longer than you would think.

I am not ignoring the success of Gilman. His success speaks for itself.

I thought the conversation was about using Fargo as trying to predict NCAA success.

Along with the list of Fargo champs who became NCAA champs, the list of champs who never even AA in college is longer than you would think.

That is what the conversation is about. Gilman was a pretty damn successful NCAA wrestler.

Of course there are a shitload of Fargo champs who have never AA'd in college. The same could be said for every elite high school tournament across every sport in the country. Not every elite high school athlete continues to perform at an elite NCAA D1 level. It doesn't change the fact that Fargo results are massively correlated with NCAA success.

The reason I brought up these links/articles to begin with was in response to 23 so far who said he takes Fargo results with a grain of salt. It absolutely shouldn't be taken with a grain of salt.

Here's just another article on the correlation between Fargo and NCAA success.

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/58581-fargo-success-equals-ncaa-success#.WW2FmogrJPY

Flo has his schools as
Cornell
Iowa State
Michigan
North Carolina
Northwestern
Oklahoma State
Stanford

He looks tough but I hope Hidlay is the priority.

I agree. Lewan is very good at the international styles but has not been as good in folk so he is a bit hard to read.

Reactions: rider976
I think what is amazing is that he allowed five points in his first two matches...none the rest of the way. Was there anybody more dominant than him? Oh yea, Little Tony allowed three points the whole tourney.

So the elite kids win in all styles ya say? Great to know....................

760583.jpg

Reactions: Bkcntry-Hawk
I'll take Cass and Warner teching their way through Fargo any day. Maybe it doesn't directly equate to folkstyle, but damn, those too look good and it's nice to see some good par terre offense as well.
Yep, it's great to see Hawk recruits and Iowa kids do well at any National Tournament.

Freestyle, Checkers, Bass Fishing, whatever the case may be.................

Warner wins the title. Beat Miles Lee from PA 11-0 in the finals.
Just wanted to take a moment to recognize Miles Lee. He is the first Beat the Streets participant to reach the Fargo finals in any style or age group.

Not bad for a guy who just started wrestling 3 years ago. Next year he'll be wrestling at D2 Millersville.

Wishing him a lot of success, and hoping it leads to a stronger BTS program that further deepens the USA Wrestling talent pool while (most importantly) providing similar life opportunities for many more inner city kids.

I'm just skimming over this thread. So, does anybody really believe freestyle/Greco results at Fargo (and those not there because they are training for WORLDs) don't make a difference at the NCAA DI AA level, and who is an NCAA AA or champion? Semantics can be argued, but those that place in fargo go on to become DI AAs, tell me those that don't place at Fargo that are DI AAs. I'm sure there are a few. It's competition of the best that brings them all there!

I'm just skimming over this thread. So, does anybody really believe freestyle/Greco results at Fargo (and those not there because they are training for WORLDs) don't make a difference at the NCAA DI AA level, and who is an NCAA AA or champion? Semantics can be argued, but those that place in fargo go on to become DI AAs, tell me those that don't place at Fargo that are DI AAs. I'm sure there are a few. It's competition of the best that brings them all there!

While there is a strong correlation between Fargo success and NCAA success, it's not necessarily a rule. James Green didn't place. Neither did Ed Ruth, Kyven Gadsen, Matt Brown, Kendric Maple, and a bunch others. Since Fargo is pretty much the only national tourney over the summer, it is the only one we can compare it with. Also have to remember that a lot of PA guys don't go.

I would say you have it the other way around...those that are D1AAs usually placed at Fargo. Lots of Fargo AAs and even champs who did not see success at the NCAA level. Here is a good breakout from Flo...I was surprised at a few. Kyle Dake took 3rd at Cadets in one year...that was it:

http://www.flowrestling.org/article...tion-leads-to-collegiate-success#.WW65AtMrJE4

ADVERTISEMENT