ADVERTISEMENT

IowaLaw's Post Game Analysis: Purdue

What a difference a few weeks + a softer schedule make on attitudes. The Hawks won decisively today, 24-3, despite not being held scoreless the last 29 1/2 minutes of the game. Chalk another win up to an incredible defensive performance.

1. Beware of the RB Freshmen Phenom Curse. It's easy to get excited for the future when watching true freshmen Johnson carve a Big 10 defense for 200 yards (9.1 yards per carry). This is the kind of back the Hawks desperately needed since Wadley (it's time to start utilizing him in the passing game like Wadley as well). Clearly, the sky is the limit with this kid. However, today's performance reminds me of what I was thinking back when other freshmen phenom backs at Iowa had breakout games. There was super star Marcus Coker. He ran for 220 yards in a game his freshmen year, then built on that with 1,400 yards his sophomore year. He proceeded to flame out of the program shortly after. Then there was 2009 when the Hawks two different freshmen phenoms on the same roster, with Brandon Wegher gaining 650 yards and Adam Robinson with 835. That thunder and lightening combo flamed out and never finished their careers. Here's to hoping Johnson stays on the right path and breaks some records before all is said and done.

2. Inexcusably Ignorant Play Calling on Second & Short. I've never seen worse play calling than I saw repeatedly in the first quarter when the Hawks would pick up 9 yards on 1st down, leaving a 2nd and 1. 99.9% of offensive coordinators view a 2nd and 1 as the ideal down and distance to take a chance and throw the ball down the field or take a chance because there's nothing to lose. Phys ed major & nepotism champ Brian Ferentz opts to instead shortsightedly run a dive up the middle/qb sneak each and every time that opportunity presented itself. It happened 3 times in a row in the 1st quarter, and each time the Hawks gained just 1 yard while passing up the opportunity to stretch the defense or create a big play.

3. OLine Still Sucks. To an uninformed fan (much of this board), the OLine seems to be gelling. Not so fast. When looking at the numbers, it's clear the offensive success is more a result of Kaleb Johnson's incredible individual performance & playing against a weaker opponent and less a result of any improved blocking. For example, Johnson averaged 9 yards per carry...but the rest of the backs had 8 rushes for just 3 yards (an average of 0 yards per carry). In addition, it may have seemed like Petras had all day to throw the ball when compared to the OSU or Michigan games, but he was still sacked 4 times by a pretty poor defense. The defenses just haven't been stacked like previous opponents.

4. A Mixed Bag for Moss. I still don't know what to make of Moss this season. He's obviously an elite Big 10 cornerback and the Hawks are lucky he decided to come back for another year this year. But is he the "all-American" he's been touted to be? He laid the wood today and deflected 3 passes...but he finished the game with just 1 tackle (a complete annihilation of Charlie Jones) despite being targeted all game long. Did he hold Jones in check? Not really. Jones had 11 catches for 104 yards. Moss was flagged for 2 or 3 obvious pass interference calls. Unfortunately, he still hasn't been able to get over the hump and land his first interception of the year. His career path sort of reminds me of Desmond King's, where he won the Thorpe Award as a junior, came back as a senior with high expectations, wasn't targeted much, and didn't quite reach them.

5. Taylor Redeems Himself. After being Iowa's early season MVP, Tory Taylor had himself a rough October. But watching his performance during this windy day was about as entertaining as it gets for a punter. The guy's punts against the wind were a thing of beauty. Low, directional line drives that popped off his leg like a golf ball off a 4 iron. And with the wind, forget about it. Kirk can take all the delay of game penalties he wants, those balls are going through the end zone. On the day, he had 8 punts for a 52 yard average...that's the highest punting average in a game I ever remember seeing. More importantly, he kept the ball out of the nation's best punt returner's hands in Charlie Jones.

6. Petras is Still Petras. After a promising start and taking some shots down the field, Petras showed that he's still the same Petras. 13 for 23 for 192 is mediocre at best (a 56% completion percentage is good by Petras standards but would not rank in the top 100 QBs nationally). Petras still struggles in the red-zone, and aside from Johnson breaking off a 75 yard run to start the 2nd half, the Hawks were held scoreless the second half. By comparison, Purdue's opponents in the weeks before Iowa all put up 35+ points against their D...Iowa scored 24.
Johnson is gone. You will see him at a big school. Unfortunately, like Jones, any good skilled kid will use Iowa as a first or second year training ground and leave. It will help their draft status.

But is he the "all-American" he's been touted to be .... No,not even close. The back pedal D system hides these walk ons vs bad teams, not so much vs good ones. He came back lol because where is he going to go? Maybe Kirk will get his buddy BB to pick him up as a free agent, like he did for his kids, that no one wanted or wants.

What a difference a few weeks + a softer schedule make on attitudes. The Hawks won decisively today, 24-3, despite not being held scoreless the last 29 1/2 minutes of the game. Chalk another win up to an incredible defensive performance.

1. Beware of the RB Freshmen Phenom Curse. It's easy to get excited for the future when watching true freshmen Johnson carve a Big 10 defense for 200 yards (9.1 yards per carry). This is the kind of back the Hawks desperately needed since Wadley (it's time to start utilizing him in the passing game like Wadley as well). Clearly, the sky is the limit with this kid. However, today's performance reminds me of what I was thinking back when other freshmen phenom backs at Iowa had breakout games. There was super star Marcus Coker. He ran for 220 yards in a game his freshmen year, then built on that with 1,400 yards his sophomore year. He proceeded to flame out of the program shortly after. Then there was 2009 when the Hawks two different freshmen phenoms on the same roster, with Brandon Wegher gaining 650 yards and Adam Robinson with 835. That thunder and lightening combo flamed out and never finished their careers. Here's to hoping Johnson stays on the right path and breaks some records before all is said and done.

2. Inexcusably Ignorant Play Calling on Second & Short. I've never seen worse play calling than I saw repeatedly in the first quarter when the Hawks would pick up 9 yards on 1st down, leaving a 2nd and 1. 99.9% of offensive coordinators view a 2nd and 1 as the ideal down and distance to take a chance and throw the ball down the field or take a chance because there's nothing to lose. Phys ed major & nepotism champ Brian Ferentz opts to instead shortsightedly run a dive up the middle/qb sneak each and every time that opportunity presented itself. It happened 3 times in a row in the 1st quarter, and each time the Hawks gained just 1 yard while passing up the opportunity to stretch the defense or create a big play.

3. OLine Still Sucks. To an uninformed fan (much of this board), the OLine seems to be gelling. Not so fast. When looking at the numbers, it's clear the offensive success is more a result of Kaleb Johnson's incredible individual performance & playing against a weaker opponent and less a result of any improved blocking. For example, Johnson averaged 9 yards per carry...but the rest of the backs had 8 rushes for just 3 yards (an average of 0 yards per carry). In addition, it may have seemed like Petras had all day to throw the ball when compared to the OSU or Michigan games, but he was still sacked 4 times by a pretty poor defense. The defenses just haven't been stacked like previous opponents.

4. A Mixed Bag for Moss. I still don't know what to make of Moss this season. He's obviously an elite Big 10 cornerback and the Hawks are lucky he decided to come back for another year this year. But is he the "all-American" he's been touted to be? He laid the wood today and deflected 3 passes...but he finished the game with just 1 tackle (a complete annihilation of Charlie Jones) despite being targeted all game long. Did he hold Jones in check? Not really. Jones had 11 catches for 104 yards. Moss was flagged for 2 or 3 obvious pass interference calls. Unfortunately, he still hasn't been able to get over the hump and land his first interception of the year. His career path sort of reminds me of Desmond King's, where he won the Thorpe Award as a junior, came back as a senior with high expectations, wasn't targeted much, and didn't quite reach them.

5. Taylor Redeems Himself. After being Iowa's early season MVP, Tory Taylor had himself a rough October. But watching his performance during this windy day was about as entertaining as it gets for a punter. The guy's punts against the wind were a thing of beauty. Low, directional line drives that popped off his leg like a golf ball off a 4 iron. And with the wind, forget about it. Kirk can take all the delay of game penalties he wants, those balls are going through the end zone. On the day, he had 8 punts for a 52 yard average...that's the highest punting average in a game I ever remember seeing. More importantly, he kept the ball out of the nation's best punt returner's hands in Charlie Jones.

6. Petras is Still Petras. After a promising start and taking some shots down the field, Petras showed that he's still the same Petras. 13 for 23 for 192 is mediocre at best (a 56% completion percentage is good by Petras standards but would not rank in the top 100 QBs nationally). Petras still struggles in the red-zone, and aside from Johnson breaking off a 75 yard run to start the 2nd half, the Hawks were held scoreless the second half. By comparison, Purdue's opponents in the weeks before Iowa all put up 35+ points against their D...Iowa scored 24.
I certainly don't get into the depth you do, but as for the OL - being at the game, the one thing I noticed about Petras was that in the shotgun, many times he got the snap and stood their reading his reads - not moving, ducking, trying to get away. I imagine that's from improved OL play

Reactions: sober_teacher
I certainly don't get into the depth you do, but as for the OL - being at the game, the one thing I noticed about Petras was that in the shotgun, many times he got the snap and stood their reading his reads - not moving, ducking, trying to get away. I imagine that's from improved OL play

We’ve seen this for 3 years. When Petras has a chance to set his feet and has a clean-ish pocket he can make every throw. That long ball to LaPorta on the first TD drive was a beauty.

He just doesn’t do it consistently whenever there’s pressure, real or imagined.

Reactions: jbrowser
But is he the "all-American" he's been touted to be .... No,not even close. The back pedal D system hides these walk ons vs bad teams, not so much vs good ones. He came back lol because where is he going to go? Maybe Kirk will get his buddy BB to pick him up as a free agent, like he did for his kids, that no one wanted or wants.
Who is this ”walk on” you are referring to? You do realize James Ferentz was originally signed by Houston, claimed by Denver (where he was part of a Super Bowl team) before he played for BB in New England don’t you?

• Haha
Reactions: SBWarriorHawk
We’ve seen this for 3 years. When Petras has a chance to set his feet and has a clean-ish pocket he can make every throw. That long ball to LaPorta on the first TD drive was a beauty.

He just doesn’t do it consistently whenever there’s pressure, real or imagined.
With as much pressure as he has faced in the last 2 years I am sure he has to expect it at this point. Pressure is a really big deal with any quarterback and it gets in their heads. It is one thing to know where the pressure is coming from and standing in the pocket to make the throw, it is another thing to get pressure from all directions. Look at how O'Connell played after he started getting pressure. I think Van Ness pretty much ended the game when he threw him around in the 2nd quarter. The same thing won the game for Purdue against us last year. We were sending 5 and 6 guys last year to get pressure on O'Connell and we couldn't get to him. This year we did it with 4. Last year, with Karlaftis, they got to Petras with 4, but this year they were sending 5 and 6 and we picked it up pretty consistently. It is what allowed those crossing routes with Nico and LaPorta to work. I have preached it and preached it for 2 years that this offense isnt going to do a thing no matter what QB we have and no matter who is the OC as long as defenses can control the LOS with 4 d linemen, or 3 with respect to ISU and Wisconsin. It will again be the story of the game this Saturday, if Wisky can stop the run and get pressure on Petras with their 3 man front, the game is over. If they have to start blitzing linebackers then the offense will more than likely be successful. Same is true on the other side.

The other thing I want to say is how the camera angles that we see most of the time don't do what is really going on any justice. Angles from the booth really slow the game down and make it look like there are so many places to throw. They don't do it in college much, but in the NFL you can get those camera angles directly behind the quarterback. Last night I watched the end of the Tennessee/KC game and from the side it looked like Malik Willis should have just thrown the ball on that last possession and not held it. But from his perspective he didn't have a receiver even looking at him or beginning to break a route when he had pressure in his face and then he had to start moving around. Even though he has wheels the plays were over at that point. And all of that stuff happens really fast in reality.

With as much pressure as he has faced in the last 2 years I am sure he has to expect it at this point. Pressure is a really big deal with any quarterback and it gets in their heads. It is one thing to know where the pressure is coming from and standing in the pocket to make the throw, it is another thing to get pressure from all directions. Look at how O'Connell played after he started getting pressure. I think Van Ness pretty much ended the game when he threw him around in the 2nd quarter. The same thing won the game for Purdue against us last year. We were sending 5 and 6 guys last year to get pressure on O'Connell and we couldn't get to him. This year we did it with 4. Last year, with Karlaftis, they got to Petras with 4, but this year they were sending 5 and 6 and we picked it up pretty consistently. It is what allowed those crossing routes with Nico and LaPorta to work. I have preached it and preached it for 2 years that this offense isnt going to do a thing no matter what QB we have and no matter who is the OC as long as defenses can control the LOS with 4 d linemen, or 3 with respect to ISU and Wisconsin. It will again be the story of the game this Saturday, if Wisky can stop the run and get pressure on Petras with their 3 man front, the game is over. If they have to start blitzing linebackers then the offense will more than likely be successful. Same is true on the other side.

The other thing I want to say is how the camera angles that we see most of the time don't do what is really going on any justice. Angles from the booth really slow the game down and make it look like there are so many places to throw. They don't do it in college much, but in the NFL you can get those camera angles directly behind the quarterback. Last night I watched the end of the Tennessee/KC game and from the side it looked like Malik Willis should have just thrown the ball on that last possession and not held it. But from his perspective he didn't have a receiver even looking at him or beginning to break a route when he had pressure in his face and then he had to start moving around. Even though he has wheels the plays were over at that point. And all of that stuff happens really fast in reality.
Don’t disagree, but that pocket presence, and/or ability to move in the pocket is crucial for any quarterback, especially for one with limited mobility like Spencer. He’s never had it, and it’s the biggest reason he’s struggled overall as the starting quarterback.
the last 2 weeks are as comfortable as he’s looked in the past two years -setting aside 2020. If this was the Spencer we’d always seen, there’d be far fewer complaints about him.

Wisconsin will be a huge test to see if the play of the offense is real or an illusion.

Reactions: not_mantiteo

Excellent recap, per usual.

Number 7 Did someone say something?

Johnson is gone. You will see him at a big school. Unfortunately, like Jones, any good skilled kid will use Iowa as a first or second year training ground and leave. It will help their draft status.
Why do you say this kind of thing in such an emphatic and definitive way? Do you have some secret source? I call BS on your commentary. In fact....your suggestion that "any good skill kid will use Iowa as a first or second year training ground and leave" is absolutely ridiculous. If you're going to post such moronic sewage, I suggest you just stop posting.

Some people are never going to be satisfied with a win. They'll want to criticize everything about a 21 point win. Are there things to improve on? Certainly, we all hope that the coaching staff is actually improving on the issues that need to improve on. They seem to always be slow in doing that for some reason. If you're a Hawk fan, you know that and just have to deal with it because as fans we can't change it. Everyone wants a new coach, I hope that you realize a new coach doesn't mean Iowa will be competing with tOSU and Michigan every year for the B1G Championship (hopefully they get there!!). Look at Tennessee ow many coaches have they had in the past ten years. I hope that the new catch has the same philosophy ad Kirk, I would just like to so the team be more aggressive and play all of the best players, not the seniors!!

I've seen Iowa backs wait and wait and try to cut back, don't do it. Run, hard and then run harder
I get what you are saying but also herkhatecy is as well ... Kaleb has missed some cutbacks that have been there, which is promising because I am sure with more experience and film study, he will get better at that. I think that is the key to a really good runner in a zone blocking scheme.

But in relation to what you are saying, maybe you are referring to someone like Goodson (?), who danced around in the backfield way too much and too often. That isn't really an RB making the "cut back" but more just dancing and waiting for a hole ... Kaleb seems more decisive and as he continues to improve, I think makes that cutback naturally as he hits the LOS without slowing down or dancing around in the backfield.

Oh shit, is this IowaLaw's other account?

Iowa held Purdue without a touchdown. Pretty much unheard of since Brohm arrived and I think the first time in 9 years and yet your only comment about the defense is what's wrong with Moss? C'mon man.

Reactions: hawkeyeinmo
I get what you are saying but also herkhatecy is as well ... Kaleb has missed some cutbacks that have been there, which is promising because I am sure with more experience and film study, he will get better at that. I think that is the key to a really good runner in a zone blocking scheme.

But in relation to what you are saying, maybe you are referring to someone like Goodson (?), who danced around in the backfield way too much and too often. That isn't really an RB making the "cut back" but more just dancing and waiting for a hole ... Kaleb seems more decisive and as he continues to improve, I think makes that cutback naturally as he hits the LOS without slowing down or dancing around in the backfield.

If nothing else, I really like that Kaleb makes a decision and runs hard after that. Worst trait for a running back to have is to be indecisive in the hole.

For a freshmen I think he does show decent recognition when making the decision, more playing time and experience should help him see the hole better.

Can we please top running the hurry up QB sneak on third and short? Everybody knows it’s coming.
Agree. Linderbaum is gone. We average half a yard on QB sneaks. Still hurry to the line on 3rd/4th and short, but either give to Pottebaum or run that fake dive pitch play that sometimes goes for 20+. That's just a matter of weekly prep.

Iowa held Purdue without a touchdown. Pretty much unheard of since Brohm arrived and I think the first time in 9 years and yet your only comment about the defense is what's wrong with Moss? C'mon man.
He thinks number of tackles is a good measure of how well DBs and DLs played. Keep that in mind when reading his screed.

Reactions: owenhawk

Always negative. Always. Lots of criticism for individual players, which really should be banned. Those young men read this shit. Jon Miller used to have a rule that individual players shouldn't be criticized. I guess that is out the window.

I would like to observe this creep's job performance on a week to week basis and then write anonymous posts about how HE is doing. Wouldn't that be enlightening.

Why don't you spend all of your time researching NIL and what is really going on in college football right now. That is the real story.

It is going to be very difficult now and in the future for Iowa and Iowa State to recruit good players in the first instance and then to retain them. NIL is really screwing things up.

Your asinine posts singling out individual players after a terrific win (as an underdog on the road) sure doesn't help.

If nothing else, I really like that Kaleb makes a decision and runs hard after that. Worst trait for a running back to have is to be indecisive in the hole.

For a freshmen I think he does show decent recognition when making the decision, more playing time and experience should help him see the hole better.
100% agree - he is decisive. It seemed Goodson did way too much waiting for holes to develop and dancing around - like he was always going for the home run. It is early but Kaleb seems to have the balance between being decisive while also having the ability to hit that home run.

It is pretty obvious at this point, but he is either just a fan of another team that likes to troll us Iowa fans or he just doesn't have a clue what he is writing his "analysis" on.

@ShonnDeereGreene - you're correct, receivers did seem to get more yards after catch than usual. Was Petras placing the ball better or was he simply throwing to the receivers who are better at getting yards after catch (i.e. less throws to "short of the chains LaPorta" and "dive for every ball Brecht"). Probably a little of both.

@Herky T Hawk - agreed when it comes to getting cute at the 1 yard line. In those circumstances, all you need to do is punch it in. Brian's goal line play calling has led to the worst red zone offense in Iowa history this year. It is not considered "getting cute" to show a little imagination in play calling on 2nd and 1 from the 50 yard line. To the contrary, if there is ever a time to try for a big play with the least amount of risk, that would be it. Yet that would be too much "money ball" for ol' Brian. He prefers to waste those opportunities and run the fullback dive for a 1 yard gain every time.

@sober_teacher - resting players with a big lead is a smart move. Unfortunately, that does not explain Iowa's inept offense in the 2nd half. They simply didn't do it. To the contrary, Iowa's 3 year starter at QB played every single snap, including when Iowa was up by 21 points with 3 mins left in the game. Similarly, Iowa's newly minted star RB, who might be the guy we can least afford to get hurt, took the 2nd to last carry of the game (while also up 21). The offense sputtered because of poor play calling and poor QB play, not resting players.

@hawkeyeinmo - "Petras had the highest QB rating in the conference???" HAHA! When replying to IowaLaw with homer nonsense, at least get your facts straight (or watch a little football outside the Iowa game). As the OP states, Petras had a good game by Petras standards, going 13/23 for 190. But that was far from the best in the league last week. If you saw the Illinois game, you would have watched their mediocre QB go 25/37 for 288 yards and 2 tds. Sean Clifford was 15-23 for 223.

@kcgolfer - Agreed wholeheartedly on retiring the hurry up QB sneak on 3rd and 1. Petras doesn't have the leg strength that Nate Stanley had to make those plays succeed. It's so vanilla and predictable that every defense knows it's coming. Given the lack of success Petras has had with it, it's embarrassing to see them keep going back to it.

@SBWarriorHawk - nah. Iowa already IS a big school and Johnson's going nowhere. He's already the feature back in his freshmen year. He's running behind a bunch of sophomores who will be back next year. He's in the perfect situation to make a splash for years to come right here at Iowa.

@ShonnDeereGreene - you're correct, receivers did seem to get more yards after catch than usual. Was Petras placing the ball better or was he simply throwing to the receivers who are better at getting yards after catch (i.e. less throws to "short of the chains LaPorta" and "dive for every ball Brecht"). Probably a little of both.

@Herky T Hawk - agreed when it comes to getting cute at the 1 yard line. In those circumstances, all you need to do is punch it in. Brian's goal line play calling has led to the worst red zone offense in Iowa history this year. It is not considered "getting cute" to show a little imagination in play calling on 2nd and 1 from the 50 yard line. To the contrary, if there is ever a time to try for a big play with the least amount of risk, that would be it. Yet that would be too much "money ball" for ol' Brian. He prefers to waste those opportunities and run the fullback dive for a 1 yard gain every time.

@sober_teacher - resting players with a big lead is a smart move. Unfortunately, that does not explain Iowa's inept offense in the 2nd half. They simply didn't do it. To the contrary, Iowa's 3 year starter at QB played every single snap, including when Iowa was up by 21 points with 3 mins left in the game. Similarly, Iowa's newly minted star RB, who might be the guy we can least afford to get hurt, took the 2nd to last carry of the game (while also up 21). The offense sputtered because of poor play calling and poor QB play, not resting players.

@hawkeyeinmo - "Petras had the highest QB rating in the conference???" HAHA! When replying to IowaLaw with homer nonsense, at least get your facts straight (or watch a little football outside the Iowa game). As the OP states, Petras had a good game by Petras standards, going 13/23 for 190. But that was far from the best in the league last week. If you saw the Illinois game, you would have watched their mediocre QB go 25/37 for 288 yards and 2 tds. Sean Clifford was 15-23 for 223.

@kcgolfer - Agreed wholeheartedly on retiring the hurry up QB sneak on 3rd and 1. Petras doesn't have the leg strength that Nate Stanley had to make those plays succeed. It's so vanilla and predictable that every defense knows it's coming. Given the lack of success Petras has had with it, it's embarrassing to see them keep going back to it.

@SBWarriorHawk - nah. Iowa already IS a big school and Johnson's going nowhere. He's already the feature back in his freshmen year. He's running behind a bunch of sophomores who will be back next year. He's in the perfect situation to make a splash for years to come right here at Iowa.

i viewed it as the playcalling turned hyper conservative, low-risk. The lead wasn’t big enough torest players. You want to view it as being inept, go ahead. im by no means saying the offense was great last week, just that they improved for the second week in a row. If they can perform similarly, I think we win vs Wisconsin.

Petras QBrating 155.3, Devito (IL) 150.2, Clifford 140. I do realize there are different QB rating systems but simply go up to the corner of this page click on the team, scores/schedule and the QBrating is listed in the box score. You realize although Clifford threw for a few more yards he threw 0 TDS and threw an INT. Devito’s while close was in a losing cause. I believe this rating also uses strength of defense which would explain why Devito was not higher. Hey, I don’t make up the metric, I guess you have your own. My factual qbrating don’t care about your feelings qbrating.

Last edited:
Why do you say this kind of thing in such an emphatic and definitive way? Do you have some secret source? I call BS on your commentary. In fact....your suggestion that "any good skill kid will use Iowa as a first or second year training ground and leave" is absolutely ridiculous. If you're going to post such moronic sewage, I suggest you just stop posting.
Iowa, like all the other non-blue bloods, will become a training ground for the better players, mostly the skilled players, that either were missed by the big boys or like, Jones, becomes really good and wants to play for someone that fit his skills or improved his draft status.
Same reason, Hawks hold on to their coaches so long. Why go through what Minny and Nebraska go through. Just ride with the 6-6 seasons and the strange home losses to North Dakota St. or Central Michigan. Schedule the OOC for success, keep it together vs equal or lesser Big 10 teams. Every 5 or 6 years nip Ohio St. or Michigan. Win a few crappy bowl games. Perfect.
Get crazy and hire a young guy that ends up having some success, he is jumping off to the next bigger job anyway.

That is why the crazies yipping to Fire Kirk every year and don't hire Brian are foolish. Let Kirk keep this model up. It's good enough, not sexy but it's Iowa. Hiring Brian will keep the same model and besides no one will ever want to hire him anyway. Do not become Nebraska!

Iowa, like all the other non-blue bloods, will become a training ground for the better players, mostly the skilled players, that either were missed by the big boys or like, Jones, becomes really good and wants to play for someone that fit his skills or improved his draft status.
Same reason, Hawks hold on to their coaches so long. Why go through what Minny and Nebraska go through. Just ride with the 6-6 seasons and the strange home losses to North Dakota St. or Central Michigan. Schedule the OOC for success, keep it together vs equal or lesser Big 10 teams. Every 5 or 6 years nip Ohio St. or Michigan. Win a few crappy bowl games. Perfect.
Get crazy and hire a young guy that ends up having some success, he is jumping off to the next bigger job anyway.

That is why the crazies yipping to Fire Kirk every year and don't hire Brian are foolish. Let Kirk keep this model up. It's good enough, not sexy but it's Iowa. Hiring Brian will keep the same model and besides no one will ever want to hire him anyway. Do not become Nebraska!
There are numerous problems with this statement.

First, Iowa hasn't had a 6-6 record or worse in at least 10 seasons.

Second, you assume every college kid is looking for the same exact thing in their college experience and development. Guess what, they are all not. Some value the program, their teammates and friendships they form, their coaches, etc. Part of the reason FOR Iowa's success under KF and Staff is they tend to recruit a certain type of kid - they put an emphasis on loyalty, hard work, taking a business-like approach. Because of that, they don't get and/or pursue certain kids coming out of HS that the fans don't understand why they aren't recruiting them. It is also why Iowa tends to have less transfers than other programs.

Does it always work out perfectly - of course not. There will be outliers but usually, the Iowa program is bringing in certain kinds of kids they think want to develop and earn their spot and that understand that coming into the program.

Reactions: SBWarriorHawk
Some people are never going to be satisfied with a win. They'll want to criticize everything about a 21 point win. Are there things to improve on? Certainly, we all hope that the coaching staff is actually improving on the issues that need to improve on. They seem to always be slow in doing that for some reason. If you're a Hawk fan, you know that and just have to deal with it because as fans we can't change it. Everyone wants a new coach, I hope that you realize a new coach doesn't mean Iowa will be competing with tOSU and Michigan every year for the B1G Championship (hopefully they get there!!). Look at Tennessee ow many coaches have they had in the past ten years. I hope that the new catch has the same philosophy ad Kirk, I would just like to so the team be more aggressive and play all of the best players, not the seniors!!
The same people who criticize the dominant win at Purdue were saying that Iowa had no chance winning at Purdue. And when the dominant win happens? Purdue was horrible. I would love to see the Hawks win out. Strong recruiting class in 2023 with a really good start to the 2024 class. Brian Ferentz (IMO) will not be back as coordinator next season, regardless of how this season plays out, so let's just win'em all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT